advise need with hunter harassment

BBDEric

Are you sure that the crazy guy down the road did this?

Years ago my wife and I were lucky enough to take first place in a major fishing derby. When we came home from work the following Monday I found that the windshield on our boat had been shattered while we were at work. I spent days trying to figure out who would do such a dirty deed.....I really couldn't come up with anyone with a serious axe to grind. About a month latter a neighbor mentioned that she had chewed out a neighborhood kid for hitting golf balls with a baseball bat near her house! Eventually I found a golf ball in my flower bed near the boat. Case closed.

In this day and age there are anti's that will screw up you vehicle just because of your NRA sticker....

Go to the crazy guy and explain to him that you have had some problems with vandalism and pay him a case of beer or two to watch your property!

Sounds like the previous landowner got out at the right time.. Gets $ from the land sale and also quick cash for leasing it out.. Unfortunately you don't own it yet and sounds like their lease is still valid until close... Sort of like when my offer was accepted on a house however for the next week or two they kept showing the house and foot traffic on our hardwoods and carpet etc.. But i agree with everyone else.. POS stuff

4 hours ago, helmut in the bush said:

Your chances of getting a decent neighbor are very low no matter where you go. It amazes me how people can damage your property, steal from you and the cops won't do shit about it, who's the bigger POS?

There was a test case a few years ago that exposed the fact cops have no legal obligation to respond to calls or complaints

https://fee.org/articles/just-dial-911-the-myth-of-police-protection/

2 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Are you sure that the crazy guy down the road did this?

Years ago my wife and I were lucky enough to take first place in a major fishing derby. When we came home from work the following Monday I found that the windshield on our boat had been shattered while we were at work. I spent days trying to figure out who would do such a dirty deed.....I really couldn't come up with anyone with a serious axe to grind. About a month latter a neighbor mentioned that she had chewed out a neighborhood kid for hitting golf balls with a baseball bat near her house! Eventually I found a golf ball in my flower bed near the boat. Case closed.

In this day and age there are anti's that will screw up you vehicle just because of your NRA sticker....

Go to the crazy guy and explain to him that you have had some problems with vandalism and pay him a case of beer or two to watch your property!

the guy signed his name

1 hour ago, JRod 8G8H said:

Sounds like the previous landowner got out at the right time.. Gets $ from the land sale and also quick cash for leasing it out.. Unfortunately you don't own it yet and sounds like their lease is still valid until close... Sort of like when my offer was accepted on a house however for the next week or two they kept showing the house and foot traffic on our hardwoods and carpet etc.. But i agree with everyone else.. POS stuff

there is no lease or permision for him to be in there

this is gonna be a mess for sure.   I would def go to the police - sherriff - and start getting this logged down.  Theres gonna be more to this for sure.  Make sure you get a copy of the survey when you close, gets lots of posted signs and be ready to turn this fella in for trespassing the first time you catch him.  Or look elsewhere to buy property - but thats easier said than done.  Dont confront this guy in the woods alone.  He obviously isnt gonna be intimidated.  Prob until he is arrested. This sucks.  

• Like 1

The ideas to bail on this closing are not bad, and have some likes. Are you sure this isn't a blessing in disguise that it happened now? If all you want is hunting land it comes on sale all the time. You can forget ever recovering deer from this guy's property. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Core said:

The ideas to bail on this closing are not bad, and have some likes. Are you sure this isn't a blessing in disguise that it happened now? If all you want is hunting land it comes on sale all the time. You can forget ever recovering deer from this guy's property. 

IMO its the best thing that couldve happened; he found out about this maniac before it was too late. It sucks that basically that putz "wins" but its not worth the aggravation and loss of enjoyment to me.

• Like 2

ECO relations are different throughout the state.  you have written permission and sole hunting rights already from what you've said. you can on behalf of the landowner Post the property first. contact an ECO tell him of the written permission and situation. He can briefly meet with you and current owner. Then "in interest of diffusing any seemingly inevitable problems in the future." bring an estimate for surface damage done to your truck. plus the signed note with address. tell the ECO he can go with you or you will go without him to go talk to the individual. an ECO expressing the message that legal actions will be taken and tickets will be written if someone continues what's taken place is often all that's needed to snuff any further crap from brazen individuals. keep an open mind and don't assume someone's guilty until innocent. property deals are some of the most vested assets we make in our lives. i wouldn't let some dipstick no matter how crazy screw with me.  a quarter of an acre or thousands, someone's property is their property.

• Like 2

I'd go to the neighbor and ask him firmly but politely if he left the note on your car.  Don't even mention the mud, just confirm the facts.  If he is open to a conversation (you'll know immediately) explain that you're the new owner and state that you will be posting it.  You really need to determine more facts.....perhaps the current owner can tell you more.  Do not ask anyone else in the area about him......for obvious reasons.  If you sense that he is crazy then you may want to reconsider the purchase.  I've dealt with something similar in the past in helping a new landowner.  Signs, fencing, gate and make your presence obvious.  Make peace if you can and eventually with the neighbors if/when you can trust them.  It's like fighting an insurgency......you can't allow yourself to be intimidated and you must have a continuous presence.  Just try talking to him first....... and under no circumstance become angry, aggressive or threatening.  You might only get one chance to work this out the easy way.

Edited by Woodcock

Goto the cops tell them the story and evidence. Get a police report. Goto court house and get an order of protection. That will get the ball rollin and the perp has a court date served. Just realize what an order like this means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thankfully this guy lives 2 miles away. he is not a direct neighbor. im not backing out on the deal as of yet. i have talked to all the neighbors and they all have had issues. they are excited to have his access cut off. just sucks that he went this far. just have to nip it in the but

1 minute ago, b3h said:

Goto the cops tell them the story and evidence. Get a police report. Goto court house and get an order of protection. That will get the ball rollin and the perp has a court date served. Just realize what an order like this means.

do you think he will back down? my parents live on the rd and its a small town. 

IMO it would protect you for sure if the court orders protection. If your parents had trouble with this guy in the past they may be able to get protection too. If you get an order that guy cannot even be near you. If you two wind up in the same building he better leave. If he violates the order the cops will come and get his ass. He would be an idiot to violate an order.