The Neighbors Corn Pile

bhunterED

So it turns out that one of the neighboring land owners is definitely putting out corn. He has multiple food plots but I guess he figures he could use a little more attractiveness to his land. Its just tg a little though. An 8 Ton little yep 8 FREAKING TON. I happen to work for the farmers cousin who sells it to him and the man has no reason to lie. Years ago I caught the guys kid out in the woods with a bag of corn but seeing as it was summer and he was just a kid a said he just wanted to get some pics I let it go. But now years later and the kid has grown up to be a pile just like his old man I'm sure they put it in front of their stands then. I've made up my mind that I'm going to make a call about it but not really sure what they will do about it as I haven't seen it on the ground and the property is posted but at least I'm trying to do right.

4 minutes ago, JRod 8G8H said:

Scummy.. I would feel absolutely no satisfaction killing a deer over bait.. Especially a wall hanger... Good luck!

He does at least one. He also own land in one of those big buck states also. Start with a K ends with S. Slimeball dirtbag with a cramp ton of money.

I am reporting it. Its complete bull. I put in time doing some plots building habitat to hold the deer close and it does work until they wonder a few hundred yards to a bait pile. Could I hunt the line yes sure but it doesn't give me any pleasure, and I was taught respect others boundries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

I've hunted over corn for at least 20 years. It doesn't make it any easier, you get a little more Doe action, it's not like they're rifle hunting during bow season

Basic fact of the matter is it's against the law, and IMO unethical, and not healthy for the deers digestive track once season is over and you just stop your bait piles. Again main thing it's against the law.

• Like 1

Call the dec. A rich guy here had bait piles a few years back and the neighboring hunting club called the dec on him. He had to go to court. I doubt it stopped him from doing it entirely,but now the piles are not close to the line anymore. He did put in a bunch of food plots as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

Probably best off minding your own business. Is it really worth the trouble it could bring you. 

Not sure of what trouble it could bring me, but in my opinion yeah it is worth it. Problems dont get solved by turning a blind eye sometimes you have to have the balls and backbone to stand up for what's right. Maybe if more people had a set out world wouldn't be the way it is now.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Call the dec. A rich guy here had bait piles a few years back and the neighboring hunting club called the dec on him. He had to go to court. I doubt it stopped him from doing it entirely,but now the piles are not close to the line anymore. He did put in a bunch of food plots as well.

Calling this morning.

• Like 2

8 Tons of corn is a dump-truck full. Would be no problem locating it from the air.

The DEC with their shrunken law enforcement crew needs your help. We cannot whine and cry about game management shortfalls and then ignore offenses when we come across them, knowing that it is highly unlikely that law enforcement would ever catch them without help. Do the right thing.

But I will say that what you have written here is not anything that would stand up in court so there needs to be some corroborating evidence available. It would be great if you could find the exact location of the dump(s) of corn and supply that information.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

8 Tons of corn is a dump-truck full. Would be no problem locating it from the air.

The DEC with their shrunken law enforcement crew needs your help. We cannot whine and cry about game management shortfalls and then ignore offenses when we come across them, knowing that it is highly unlikely that law enforcement would ever catch them without help. Do the right thing.

But I will say that what you have written here is not anything that would stand up in court so there needs to be some corroborating evidence available. It would be great if you could find the exact location of the dump(s) of corn and supply that information.

I agree 100% but my problem is giving exact locations of the piles as his land is posted and I refuse to break a law to report one. Do you think giving the name of the farmer who sells it to him would help at all. 

3 minutes ago, bhunterED said:

Do you think giving the name of the farmer who sells it to him would help at all. 

That would be opening a whole new can of worms, the Farmer is just trying to make a buck selling corn and probably wants no part of getting involved in something like this that would potentially be a hassle and  cost him income. It is not illegal to buy corn.

Al

• Like 3

Anybody see any deer coming in and out on a beat path...prolly where the corn is.

Also they probably visit it mostly at night with the coons.

Baiting is legal in other NE States like NJ and it is still pretty tough hunting.

I personally would worry about my own business before I set the law on others but that's not the popular opinion.

That said this EHD dropping deer in the dozens down in SE PA is a good reason to try stop bait pilers.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, airedale said:

That would be opening a whole new can of worms, the Farmer is just trying to make a buck selling corn and probably wants no part of getting involved in something like this that would potentially be a hassle and  cost him income. It is not illegal to buy corn.

Al

This is what I was thinking. He's a good guy just trying to make a living. It's not easy to make a living farming here in NY. 

4 minutes ago, bhunterED said:

This is what I was thinking. He's a good guy just trying to make a living. It's not easy to make a living farming here in NY. 

My thought are why not give the neighbor the benefit of the doubt since you don't have proof.

Im not being a smart guy I just think it's not really wise nor is it necessarily good for your psyche to hate this guy for something you think he did.

I know neighbors and other hunters etc can be disruptive but I thinks it best to focus on your own hunting.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

A friend of mine a few years back installed a multifuel furnace and he uses whole corn for fuel and buys it in large truck loads, not saying the neighbor isn't baiting just saying eight tons of corn is pretty excessive for that purpose and he might just be using it for other things.

Al

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, bhunterED said:

I agree 100% but my problem is giving exact locations of the piles as his land is posted and I refuse to break a law to report one. Do you think giving the name of the farmer who sells it to him would help at all. 

The location would just be the icing on the cake, but not having that info does not mean that the tip without that information is useless.

As far as the guy who sells the corn, I have no idea whether that would be useful to the investigation. It would not get him in trouble, but it might help in the investigation.

I don't know about those that say to mind your own business. Breaking of en-con laws is your business. The DEC is not the enemy. I see them as trying to do a job with the handicap of being underfunded and under manned. Who's side are we really on?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

My thought are why not give the neighbor the benefit of the doubt since you don't have proof.

Im not being a smart guy I just think it's not really wise nor is it necessarily good for your psyche to hate this guy for something you think he did.

I know neighbors and other hunters etc can be disruptive but I thinks it best to focus on your own hunting.

That is another good reason to tip off the DEC. Let them investigate it if they choose to do so, or ignore it if they think it doesn't warrant investigation. That is up to them once they get a tip.

• Like 2