The Neighbors Corn Pile

bhunterED

12 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

My thought are why not give the neighbor the benefit of the doubt since you don't have proof.

Im not being a smart guy I just think it's not really wise nor is it necessarily good for your psyche to hate this guy for something you think he did.

I know neighbors and other hunters etc can be disruptive but I thinks it best to focus on your own hunting.

It's a known fact that this happens. I appreciate your input but I feel as this is part of my own hunting. I have no issues with my psyche, and never said I hate the guy, I do hate what he does.

5 minutes ago, airedale said:

A friend of mine a few years back installed a multifuel furnace and he uses whole corn for fuel and buys it in large truck loads, not saying the neighbor isn't baiting just saying eight tons of corn is pretty excessive for that purpose and he might just be using it for other things.

Al

That is a plausible alternate explanation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

That is another good reason to tip off the DEC. Let them investigate it if they choose to do so, or ignore it if they think it doesn't warrant investigation. That is up to them once they get a tip.

Thanks for your support Doc. I was raised and taught to stand up for what's right and to do the right thing. Yeah sometimes your nose might get bloodied but at least you can say you fought and not just gripe about it. This is what the DEC uses some of our tax dollars and license fees for, to pay the officers to uphold the laws and protect our environmental resources. 

2 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

As a Roving Pheasant  Hunter hunting many different Lands-- this time of year as it gets closer to Rifle Deer Opener---I have come across Corn piles, Salt Lick Blocks, Piles of Apples, other stuff with Peanut Butter  mixed in. Seems to be increasing as the years go on..

What sort of peer pressure do we have today that causes people to resort to such things. Are we saying that baiting is really the only way that we can be successful? I look at all the things that people go through just to get a deer, and I have to wonder just what is it that drives us to believe that we have to resort to these activities.

Anybody see any deer coming in and out on a beat path...prolly where the corn is.
Also they probably visit it mostly at night with the coons.
Baiting is legal in other NE States like NJ and it is still pretty tough hunting.
I personally would worry about my own business before I set the law on others but that's not the popular opinion.
That said this EHD dropping deer in the dozens down in SE PA is a good reason to try stop bait pilers.

What does EHD have anything to do with a Corn pile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

The location would just be the icing on the cake, but not having that info does not mean that the tip without that information is useless.

As far as the guy who sells the corn, I have no idea whether that would be useful to the investigation. It would not get him in trouble, but it might help in the investigation.

I don't know about those that say to mind your own business. Breaking of en-con laws is your business. The DEC is not the enemy. I see them as trying to do a job with the handicap of being underfunded and under manned. Who's side are we really on?

I called in a bait station that is visible from the road 3 times and NOTHING.  If they won't enforce that one I can't see them doing anything about this with NO proof. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

If you call the DEC and they find no wrong doing ,are you going to go over and tell him that you reported him and apologize? It's the right thing to do. 

I for one have integrity and have the balls to be accountable for my own actions. So yes I would tell him and apologize and if he doesn't like me afterwards it's no skin off my back.

• Like 4

which is why I think you should go talk to him before calling the cops . He buys a fair amount of corn but you’ve got no,proof of what he’s really doing with it . Go ask , explain that if he’s baiting it impacts everyone’s hunting ,as well as being illegal .

• Like 4

On this one, I feel if you saw the bait in the field either from a property line or however it would be justified.  Based off the information you have provided, you have no proof of wrong doing and really no justification for accusing the person of wrong doing.  All you "know" (from a second hand source) is that he bought some corn from a local farmer, this happens all the time.  Are you sure the guy doesn't have a couple of pig, or beef cows he's feeding?  As stated, does he burn it for fuel?  If myself and family had a cold and I went to the drug store and bought a bunch of cold medicine and you saw me are you going to call the police accusing me of making meth?  Just asking...

• Like 2

The shear volume of corn is the confusing part. I dont think he's putting out 3,000 dollars of corn for the season so maybe he's using it for other things.  He might be baiting, but until you see him with it, I wouldnt jump to cunclusions. Ive went out and bought corn for the farmer next door when he ran low and im sure if people i knew saw me they'd think it was a little weird for me to be buying corn. 

40 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

What does EHD have anything to do with a Corn pile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's different then CWD...

from what I understand though anytime they gather in any area that could be wet (midge habitat) there's a potential fir mass exposure

Edited by OtiscoPaul

12 hours ago, bhunterED said:

the man has no reason to lie

Did he say he sold it to him, or did he say the guy admitted putting it out as bait?

12 hours ago, bhunterED said:

I haven't seen it on the ground

Is the story just that you know he's buying it, and don't really know what he's doing with it?

I'm against baiting and certainly wouldn't do it, but I have to say if a neighbor called the DEC on me as a baiter just because I purchased 8 tons of corn from someone he knows, that neighbor would be at the top of my poop list for a looong time!

• Like 2

Hey man you have the information I don't

but you're the one trying to get a whole bunch of people on the Internet as well as law-enforcement Upset with your neighbor 

you say you don't hate him sounds like you hate him his kid his land his Kansas land based on a bag of corn and a private convo with s farner

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 2

Snitches are a dying breed... I'm in the same boat with my neighbor. He doesn't hunt but his wife likes to see the wildlife. He keeps the bags flowing. It has 100% changed the deer movement especially with the hot summer. I've contemplated calling so many times but don't want to start a war with someone we have share a property line with for a long time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

Hey man you have the information I don't

but you're the one trying to get a whole bunch of people on the Internet as well as law-enforcement Upset with your neighbor 

you say you don't hate him sounds like you hate him his kid his land his Kansas land based on a bag of corn and a private convo with s farner

As said before I hate what he is doing, I dont hate him his kid or his land. Do I think the man is a pompous ass and his kid is an entitled little prick yes but never said I hate him.

11 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Did he say he sold it to him, or did he say the guy admitted putting it out as bait?

Is the story just that you know he's buying it, and don't really know what he's doing with it?

I'm against baiting and certainly wouldn't do it, but I have to say if a neighbor called the DEC on me as a baiter just because I purchased 8 tons of corn from someone he knows, that neighbor would be at the top of my poop list for a looong time!

Use as deer feed was talked about, as well as someone who hunted with him stated that's why he only went once because he wouldn't hunt over bait.