Suffolk Spring Turkey Season?

cdbing

I got a survey from DEC in the mail. It seems DEC is considering a spring turkey season in Suffolk. Looks like there are sufficient birds to support a spring hunt, but DEC is trying to manage competing interests in accessing public lands in spring. Not sure if this is old news, but it was new to me.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
52 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

So,I am looking at page 49 of the Regs Guide and read -- Spring Youth Hunt-- Area Open- Same as Regular  Season PLUS Suffolk County-(WMU)- 1C. 

Sounds Great- Youth Turkey Hunting on Long Island!

Then on the same page on the Left,I Read-- Spring Turkey Season-- Area Open- All of New York North of the Bronx- Westchester County Boundary. 

So can anyone tell me why Adult Hunters on Long Island cannot hunt Spring Turkeys in 1C- yet Youth Spring Turkey Hunters can?

I am happy for the Youth to be able to hunt Spring Turkeys on Long Island in 2022. I kind of feel bad for the Adults though.  

Even though numbers have reportedly been going up on Long Island I think it has something to do with not wanting to cull too much. Bag limit for youth is one bird as opposed to two bearded birds one each day for adults in spring. Couple that with fall harvests and they might freak out that numbers drop too quick? 

I wish we could have a spring hunt for adults down here. I don't like driving two and a half hours minimum upstate to hunt for a few hours until noon... On top of not scouting anything other than Google Earth or Bing or hunt apps bc of the drive. Family time more important than days away scouting.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rachunter said:

If I had to pick between the two I’d go with Sarnoff on the south end of the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what my gut tells me also. It's my luck ill probably see a ton of racks while turkey hunting in the next week or so and then a ton of turkeys while deer hunting after that.

• Like 1

That's what my gut tells me also. It's my luck ill probably see a ton of racks while turkey hunting in the next week or so and then a ton of turkeys while deer hunting after that.

That’s a nice park I used to do a lot of hunting and shed hunting there. The thing with the turkey is they cross the highway back and forth all day long. I’m not sure if you can turkey hunt the south side of the highway.

55 minutes ago, rachunter said:

That’s a nice park I used to do a lot of hunting and shed hunting there. The thing with the turkey is they cross the highway back and forth all day long. I’m not sure if you can turkey hunt the south side of the highway.

Yes pretty nice there. And yes you are correct It's only north of sunrise highway. I think they're smart enough to know that it's dangerous north of the highway lol. Thanks for your input I appreciate it

• 7 months later...