Track help

Hunter9396

Buddy shot a buck broadside at about 50yards with crossbow. Shot was low. When arrow hit buck jumped up and Mule kicked. Ran off about 60 yards and stopped and started walking. Checked where he was shot and can’t find arrow but found a bunch of white hair. We are waiting an hour or 2 before looking. What do you guys think

I'd guess the bolt is buried in the dirt somewhere. Low hits are tough if they aren't in the right spot. I watched a buck get hit low and back a touch last night in "the hunting public" and the deer was still alive and staying in front of the tracking dog like 30 hours later.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Could possibly have just grazed the brisket or belly. A non lethal hit. With long white hairs found at hit site that would be my first guess. Finding the bolt will give more clues. Not knowing where the hit is, give it at least three hours before looking for it. But certainly follow up to be sure!

A lot can happen in a 50 yard shot. Even with a crossbow.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I'd guess the bolt is buried in the dirt somewhere. Low hits are tough if they aren't in the right spot. I watched a buck get hit low and back a touch last night in "the hunting public" and the deer was still alive and staying in front of the tracking dog like 30 hours later.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

great show.. and yeah that shot look buried but slightly back... was very surprised they didn't find that deer

• Like 1

Sounds like either a graze/non lethal, or a possible liver hit if it ran then started walking(which needs atleast a few hours) Or a real low chest hit which can take 24hrs or more and will not stop if pushed IMO ..  Liver hit wont bleed much besides drops of blood, probably would be blood at the hit site though. Low chest or graze would show blood early for sure I would think...

I walked up to a buck years ago that was hit where the white and brown chest hair meet behind the shoulder.. perfect 3 blade broadhead in and out. Buck was still alive but stunk so bad I couldnt bear being within 20 yards of him.  It seemed like he was hit atleast a day or more earlier. He was in bad shape, he would have passed soon no doubt. I almost stepped on him under a pine tree, he picked his head up as i was nearly stepping on him . Scared the heck out of me. Finished him off and never heard of anyone losing him. So my guess was he was hit several properties away and pushed and pushed..

Arrow (Bolt) is a big issue, need to find that as it will give valuable info.  Look within 10-20 yards you should find it unless it skipped, ask the shooter to recall the sound.  Thud or did he hear it skip?  Next like stated above look for blood in the first 100 yards, if no blood found he hit low and just grazed him.  Even if you find blood it could just be a scratch.  Track it for as long as possible but it sounds like a survivable wound if that.  Good luck!

This is with thinking it was a fairly level shot, if in a stand it could be different.  Find the blood if you cant find the arrow, try to remember where he stood and scope that area with a fine tooth comb!  

Edited by NFA-ADK

Recovery might be tough.  First off, let him go 10 or so hours.  I'm assuming the deer is hit but not vitals.  Track slowly and spend time trying to find the bolt first.  50 yards is a long way. If paunch shot you won't find blood.  Let him expire and hope for a grid search recovery.  Good luck!

Edited by Taylormike
Typo

Looks a lot like a graze hit from the pictures. Comparing to what i did to this guys belly on the very last day of deer season in 2011.. Healed perfectly fine. A slong as you didnt slit him wide open or enter the chest cavity. He should heal. As long is its not infected. 

CDY_0020.JPG

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Looks a lot like a graze hit from the pictures. Comparing to what i did to this guys belly on the very last day of deer season in 2011.. Healed perfectly fine. A slong as you didnt slit him wide open or enter the chest cavity. He should heal. As long is its not infected. 

bullets and blades do very different types of damage. 

Edited by Belo