Track help

Hunter9396

agree, no idea why everyone in general wouldn't use them on arrows/bolts

So clearly I am easily distracted by shiny objects - when I had nocturnals on my arrows I missed inexplicably. Shot at target and noticed all my shots with nocturnals were off and without were true. I like to watch shiny things fly I guess and peak when shooting with nocturnals. 5 deer down after removing the lights

However to your point I did find all the arrows which proved to be clean misses!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crappyice said:

So clearly I am easily distracted by shiny objects - when I had nocturnals on my arrows I missed inexplicably. Shot at target and noticed all my shots with nocturnals were off and without were true. I like to watch shiny things fly I guess and peak when shooting with nocturnals. 5 deer down after removing the lights

However to your point I did find all the arrows which proved to be clean misses!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that is a good point. many archers have a habit of dropping their bow arm. lighted nocks don't help the cause. 

as far as nocks. I've had carbon express lasereyes (easiest to use, but not very bright). lumenocks (finicky and didn't care for them) and nockturnals. These I like the best for hunting. They're super bright, fairly cheap and very consistent. I don't practice with them though as you need a tool/knife tip/field point to reset them. I hear firenocks are great too but can't stomach the cost. 

Okay, let me reword this, why would "anybody shoot at 50 yards". Can you hit where you are aiming at 50 yards? Yes. You can probably sight in for 100 yards and hold a reasonable group. But now throw in the variables. Was it 50 yards or 55 yards? The further out you go, the drop increases dramatically. Was there any wind? Was there anything that could deflect the shot; branches, leaves? Then there are those nasty laws of physics. Can you get the penetration you need if you hit rib on the way in? Nothing against crossbows. So without hijacking the thread, I've stated my point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, avg. joe said:

Okay, let me reword this, why would "anybody shoot at 50 yards". Can you hit where you are aiming at 50 yards? Yes. You can probably sight in for 100 yards and hold a reasonable group. But now throw in the variables. Was it 50 yards or 55 yards? The further out you go, the drop increases dramatically. Was there any wind? Was there anything that could deflect the shot; branches, leaves? Then there are those nasty laws of physics. Can you get the penetration you need if you hit rib on the way in? Nothing against crossbows. So without hijacking the thread, I've stated my point.

I agree. Personally I wouldn't push my crossbow beyond 40 and that would have to be a relaxed deer with perfect conditions.  To me the noise will get there before the arrow so the further you push it the more likely they are to react to the loud crossbows. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avg. joe said:

Why in the hell would you shoot 50 yards! Just because it is a crossbow doesn't mean you can shoot long distance. I limit my shots with a crossbow to the same as I would with a compound. Too many variables beyond 35 yards.

Because your Avg. Joe, you knew someone was going to say it, j/k.  

I tend to agree with you but he's asking for advice not ridicule.  Most of us have done something less thasn stellar, let it go...

Edited by Taylormike
Typo
  • Like 1