What a difference between 2 deer

Water Rat

I've been watching this little 4 pointer in my yard all summer thinking he was sick and malnourished. Whenever I see him , he always has his tail tucked between his legs. His coat looks like Hell and I've never seen him with other deer. It's as if the other deer can sense that there's something wrong with him. I even notified the DEC to get their opinion on him during the summer and they basically said there's nothing wrong with him. He looks to have added some fat on him but not much.. I used to see his ribs and spine easily. Well , today I took this picture of him and another 4 pointer that walked by a few minutes after the first one. Notice the difference in the coats of these 2 deer. I'd be interested in what the membership thinks. Is there something wrong with this deer ?IMG_2450.thumb.JPG.16252d31b857e12527041be28a44a9cb.JPGIMG_2455.thumb.JPG.e8978c2d0c1f6738542bb7111adf88f7.JPG

Definitely something going on with him, not that it's a "kill him dead on site" issue but Yea he's got a problem somewhere. Could be a million things internally so I won't even venture a guess, but he may not survive the winter being that scrawny now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jmark said:

Would a pie bald be that scrawny?  I mean, just because it was a pie bald?

i don't think it's a piebald but could be slightly. they vary a ton. we must have a doe with the right genes to produce them. she had a buck fawn last year that's all white except the head. this year she had a doe fawn that made it and it's more like an antelope. both are runt deer though. normal yearling bucks dwarf the white buck. they often have internal issues which to varying degrees puts a damper on digestion and taking in nutrition available. we had another doe that lived to maturity years ago. it's home range was tiny like the others. also she didn't make it past 7 years old. other doe that don't get taken seem to easily make it past that. didn't get tagged because everyone would've very likely heard if someone did. can't hide much around this small town.

• Like 1