35 Remington vs marlin 444

Chef

image.jpeg.a88000a7f91556c69a9a6d098d123d11.jpeg

I went with a 30/30 (Marlin 336 BL), mostly due to better ammo availability, but my second choice would have been a .35 Rem.  I finally got to carry it on a rainy day up north a couple weeks ago, but I have yet to fire it at a deer.  It is a real pleasure to carry up and down that steep terrain and thru the heavy cover compared to my full-sized, scoped bolt-action 30/06.   Hopefully, I can get a shot at a deer or bear with it over Thanksgiving, the next time I go up there.   Currently, I am using 150 grain ammo but when that is gone I will switch to 170.  The lowest I could get the 150's to strike at 50 yards was 3-1/2" above the bull.   The factory iron sights are ok  ( I could probably get the elevation right on at 50 yards with the 170 grain ammo, but I am going to put fiber-optics on it prior to sighting it in with those.  The "big loop" is real nice for fast cycling with gloves on, and I really like the looks of the laminated wood stock.  The fit and finish were pretty good on this Remington built Marlin that was made in the summer of 2017.       

I went with a 30/30 (Marlin 336 BL), mostly due to better ammo availability, but my second choice would have been a .35 Rem.  I finally got to carry it on a rainy day up north a couple weeks ago, but I have yet to fire it at a deer.  It is a real pleasure to carry up and down that steep terrain and thru the heavy cover compared to my full-sized, scoped bolt-action 30/06.   Hopefully, I can get a shot at a deer or bear with it over Thanksgiving, the next time I go up there.   Currently, I am using 150 grain ammo but when that is gone I will switch to 170.  The lowest I could get the 150's to strike at 50 yards was 3-1/2" above the bull.   The factory iron sights are ok  ( I could probably get the elevation right on at 50 yards with the 170 grain ammo, but I am going to put fiber-optics on it prior to sighting it in with those.  The "big loop" is real nice for fast cycling with gloves on, and I really like the looks of the laminated wood stock.  The fit and finish were pretty good on this Remington built Marlin that was made in the summer of 2017.       

I actually have a marlin 336 in 30/30 I’m thinking of trading it in for something different, I just want a change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have the bug for a new lever gun and can’t decide between these two calibers. Do any of you own one or both and what would your choice be and why? Thanks for the input

35 lever was the first gun I deer hunted with. Didn't shoot anything with it but it's supposedly one of the best brush guns.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, chefhunter86 said:

I actually have a marlin 336 in 30/30 I’m thinking of trading it in for something different, I just want a change

I also had another 336 30/30 (standard model with a 4X scope), many years ago.   At the time, I did not hunt the NY northern zone and I liked my large bolt-action better for western Mule deer / elk hunts.  I traded the old Marlin for a woodchuck gun.  I did not miss it until I started the hunting the Adirondacks about 15 years ago.   My father in law has one just like my old one (including the scope), that he never uses.  Some day, when the time is right (like if I get him the bear rug that he has been asking for for years), I will ask him if I can hunt with that gun.  I would only use it when there is no threats of rain or sleet (that is what my open-sighted one is good for).    Do you have a scope on your 30/30 ?    The lever is so much better to carry in the mountains, than my heavy bolt-action, that I can't wait to get hold of a second one with a scope.   I had forgotten how much better it was until that rainy day hunt a couple weeks ago.     

I also had another 336 30/30 (standard model with a 4X scope), many years ago.   At the time, I did not hunt the NY northern zone and I liked my large bolt-action better for western Mule deer / elk hunts.  I traded the old Marlin for a woodchuck gun.  I did not miss it until I started the hunting the Adirondacks about 15 years ago.   My father in law has one just like my old one (including the scope), that he never uses.  Some day, when the time is right (like if I get him the bear rug that he has been asking for for years), I will ask him if I can hunt with that gun.  I would only use it when there is no threats of rain or sleet (that is what my open-sighted one is good for).    Do you have a scope on your 30/30 ?    The lever is so much better to carry in the mountains, than my heavy bolt-action, that I can't wait to get hold of a second one with a scope.   I had forgotten how much better it was until that rainy day hunt a couple weeks ago.     

I do have a scope on it yes it’s a older 9x on a see through mount. The 35 Rem I looked at today had a 5x on a see through

I use a marlin 336 in 35 caliber and love it. Its over 50 years old (my dads)  and is a gem, flat out knocks deer down in a hurry, short barrel, compact, lite and very easy to handle. Because of short barrell its very maneuverable in a treestand or blind.  When climbing up my mountain, i strap it to my back pack and dont even know its there. 

20151121_071803.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, chefhunter86 said:

I do have a scope on it yes it’s a older 9x on a see through mount. The 35 Rem I looked at today had a 5x on a see through

My 4X scope was mounted low.  What I liked best about that, was how quick I could get on a target with it.  That is a big deal when hunting the heavy cover.  I could get on a target considerably faster with that scope than I can with the iron sights on my new one.  I am hoping that the fiber-optics will help out a bit with that.   I also had one of those tang extensions on the hammer which made it real fast to work that with the scope.   I will have to pick up one of those, because my father-in-law's does not have one on it.   

Can’t get it to hit the bull at 50yds? Sounds like a gem of a remain to me!

If that’s all that’s wrong with it you did better than most! Put a peep on it and a taller front sight and you’re all set. Be careful with the fiber optic they’re fragile especially banging through the big woods. What I do with mine is run a tiny bead on super glue down the sides of the fiber optic and on the sight itself, doesn’t let in as much light but still plenty and makes them much more durable!

• Like 1

35 rem is one of my favorite cartridges. Hits deer hard kicks soft and comes in some awesome classic guns. I have 2 336 pre safety marlin 35’s and a Remington 760 pump a 141 pump a 14 pump and a savage 170 pump all in 35 rem. I’ve never been a fan of marlin lever think they’re too Heavy and long for what they are, but they do balance well and carry nice. With the mag tube it’s a little harder to trim the barrel to a proper length because you have to do the mag tube as well and unless you go to a synthetic stock that throws the balance off.

It’s hard for me to recommend a 35rem to someone that doesn’t reload because the ammo can be hard to find and when you do find it it’s twice the price of 30-30. For someone that reloads it’s an awesome cartridge that’s extremely versatile.

444 is one that never intrigued me, owned one for a while but never warmed up to it. The Hornady interlocks were a good bullet but last I knew they discontinued them in the 265 so I wouldn’t know where to start these days because most .429 bullets are made to travel much slower then the 444 sends them so weight retention is a big issue.

This 1953 Remington 760 is the only rifle I’m carrying this year. I cut the barrel to 16” and added a peep. Other than that she’s all original and wears the scars well.

a506e5477d0d5b5b394093477fa12fb6.jpg

• Like 2

I've got a 336 Carbine in 35 Remington. I've shot two bucks with it. Both were boiler room shots and both were down within 30 yards. I went through a phase where I was reading/watching all the Benoit and Hal blood stuff and I had to have a 7600. I tucked the 35 into the back of the cabinet I bought a 7600 in a 35 Whelen. I'm not 100% sure why, buy the 7600 never clicked with me. I know they are beloved around these parts but I didn't love mine. I sold it and bought a guide gun in 45/70. I have a 1x4 scope on the guide gun and I just love it. It's well balanced, short, and when you hit a deer with it they are usually DRT. I love that gun.

The 35 rem was my grand fathers. Last year I put a peep on it and hunted with it up in Maine for a week. It felt good to carry it again. This year, I put a 2x7 scope on it and I am really hoping to shoot a deer with it, mostly for nostalgia sake. I will agree with Buckmaster 7600 though, the ammo is getting hard to find and it is expensive. It's just as much or more than my 45/70. If I were buying a new gun, it would definitely be a 30/30 over a 35 for that reason alone.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

35 rem is one of my favorite cartridges. Hits deer hard kicks soft and comes in some awesome classic guns. I have 2 336 pre safety marlin 35’s and a Remington 760 pump a 141 pump a 14 pump and a savage 170 pump all in 35 rem. I’ve never been a fan of marlin lever think they’re too Heavy and long for what they are, but they do balance well and carry nice. With the mag tube it’s a little harder to trim the barrel to a proper length because you have to do the mag tube as well and unless you go to a synthetic stock that throws the balance off.

It’s hard for me to recommend a 35rem to someone that doesn’t reload because the ammo can be hard to find and when you do find it it’s twice the price of 30-30. For someone that reloads it’s an awesome cartridge that’s extremely versatile.

444 is one that never intrigued me, owned one for a while but never warmed up to it. The Hornady interlocks were a good bullet but last I knew they discontinued them in the 265 so I wouldn’t know where to start these days because most .429 bullets are made to travel much slower then the 444 sends them so weight retention is a big issue.

This 1953 Remington 760 is the only rifle I’m carrying this year. I cut the barrel to 16” and added a peep. Other than that she’s all original and wears the scars well.

a506e5477d0d5b5b394093477fa12fb6.jpg

BM7600, I really like that gun. I've been looking for an early '60's example with diamond checkering in 35 Rem to cut back to 18". Curious about the performance with the 16" barrel.

Edited by eaglemountainman

Good choice, Chef....I like classic old chamberings...They work, too....

There's not much in big game hunting that cannot be done very effectively with the 7x 57, 8 x 57, or 30-06, all of which have been around for over 100 years...

• Like 2

Excuse my ignorance but why no mention of a Henry ? Not even sure what they chamber it in either 

That’s a good question. At least for me I had a marlin and liked it and just wanted another.

11 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Excuse my ignorance but why no mention of a Henry ? Not even sure what they chamber it in either 

some henry and some older winchesters and remington top eject..and henry winchester and remington many times the frame is not as strong as a marlin built before 2007 this limits you to factory ammo.. my marlin i  45-70  frame is so overbuilt that when i asked the factory i can use compressed loads designed for singleshot rifle out of it that would blow apart a lesser frame.. after remington bought them they dropped the steel and you will blow the frame up with then almost 50k difference in pressure allowed from marlin to a remlin..

• Like 1