35 Remington vs marlin 444

Chef

BM7600, I really like that gun. I've been looking for an early '60's example with diamond checkering in 35 Rem to cut back to 18". Curious about the performance with the 16" barrel.

I shot a half of a box of 3 different loads when the barrel was 18”!and the other half after being cut to 16” i lost 27 FPS with 200 core-lokts and 22fps with Hornady lvr evolution, 13fps with federal 200gn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington made in the early 1960's.  I've killed a few deer with it.  The .200 grain .35 caliber slug penetrates well and delivers plenty of energy in a deer, very seldom passing all the way through.  That's what knocks them down.  Even with only one bullet hole, the blood trails are good if they run, which I have not had happen more than twice.  Neither went more than 50 yards.

I used iron sights for years, but put a 2x Leupold on it a few years ago because my eyes need it now.  It throws off the balance as little as possible because it's a small scope.  I consider this to be a 200 yard rifle at the best, and usually take deer within 50 yards with it.  

BTW, these are called "brush guns" because they are handy to carry in thick brush and fast to the shoulder.  They don't "shoot through" brush.  No bullet will.  If any bullet hits a twig, it will deflect, possibly missing the target.  

Even a .45-70 won't shoot through branches without possible deflection.  It will surely put the wallop on a whitetail though, and a .444 Marlin is even more powerful with only a little less frontal area.  But these rifle are bigger and heavier than a Marlin 336, so they aren't as fast in the brush or to the shoulder.

The .30-30 has better ballistics on paper than a .35 Remington, and it costs less to shoot, but it has a different effect on a deer when it shoots one.  It gets the job done, but I think the .35 drops them faster, seeming to dump more energy into the animal when it hits it.  And the .35 Remington isn't a target shooting rifle so I don't need more than 10 rounds to get through a sight in session and the entire deer season.

Besides, I stocked up on .35 Remington ammo over the years and reload the empties, so I have at least 200 rounds for it in my possession, enough to last the rest of my life.

It also gives me more confidence than the .30-30 if I happen to have a black bear come by.

Congrats on your new rifle.  You made a good choice.

• Like 3