back tag question

tommyc50

hey guys , I seen somewhere on here about getting a second back tag .See there was this old gizzer who seen me with my back pack on and with my back tag on it and he sssaaayyss you know your suppose to have  your back tag on @ all times and I said I do [I lied] I said I take it off and put it on my back when im in the stand. So I went to the range today and asked the guy about getting a duplicate and he says you cant only a replacement if you lost it .So please may be some of you guys seen that post or know if I can get a duplicate.

3 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

hey guys , I seen somewhere on here about getting a second back tag .See there was this old gizzer who seen me with my back pack on and with my back tag on it and he sssaaayyss you know your suppose to have  your back tag on @ all times and I said I do [I lied] I said I take it off and put it on my back when im in the stand. So I went to the range today and asked the guy about getting a duplicate and he says you cant only a replacement if you lost it .So please may be some of you guys seen that post or know if I can get a duplicate.

Do you have access to a copy machine ?   If you are worried about it, just make a copy.  You can even use colored paper if you want to make it look official.  

You can get a replacement if you feel you need a "duplicate". As i understand it the back tag should be on you and visible while hunting. That said, when i am carrying a treestand on my back it would be tough to see the tag. No one including conservation officers have ever bothered me.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Yup .... if you separate them .

Yep.  That’s why they are perferated.  Separate things sir.  You don’t need a back tag to tag a deer.  Not even required to wear one in the NZ.  Back tag IS NOT either a buck or doe tag. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

The book says " must be displayed on the middle of your back". If you are wearing it on your pack (like I do ) it is in the middle of your back. When I get in a stand it is still on the pack and usually visible. If someone doesn't like it ts.

If it is on the middle  of your back and you have a pack on it isn't visible

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 3

I do the same as Steve . It’s on my day pack, so anytime I’m on the ground ,it’s in the middle of my back, while on stand ,it’s hanging for all to see . If it was on my coat you’d never see it on stand or walking .

Dont over think it .

Btw we’re one of two states that have back tags, go figure .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Back Tag IS your buck tag and doe tag .

No it isn't..... If you loose your back tag you can pay $10.00 and get a duplicate. If the tags are lost with the back tag you are out of luck. They do not issue "duplicate" tags. That is why they should be separated and carried on your person.

2 minutes ago, Steve D said:

No it isn't..... If you loose your back tag you can pay $10.00 and get a duplicate. If the tags are lost with the back tag you are out of luck. They do not issue "duplicate" tags. That is why they should be separated and carried on your person.

Actually you can get duplicate Deer tags too but not dmps.  

You can get a duplicate "Back Tag" at no cost . I have gotten a duplicate for the past 5 years . One tag for the backpack and one for the jacket I am wearing .

If you lose your other tags , it costs to have them duplicated . I carry my tags in a holder in my backpack .

I keep it on my backpack, that way I won't lose it and I always know with 100% certainty where it's at. Before, depending on the weather, it might be on my light jacket, medium weight, warm coat, spare clothes (because I needed to wash or dry other coats), rain gear, etc... Too easily misplaced, then I'm scrambling at the last minute to find it! I feel I'm doing the most responsible thing to ensure I always have it with me and to keep track of it. 

It's a stupid law. 

IVe lost my tags before a few years back. Must be when i was in stand with my back against the tree, it pushed the pin out of its clip and lost everything. Not the first time its happened.. I ended up shooting a deer afterwards and had zero tag to put on or proof. I was a little scared to say the least. My buddy and I ran to Walmart and got my tags re printed. I think it was 5 dollars a piece or something they charged me. I believe it cost me 15$ to get all my unused tags back if i remember correctly. 

But by the reg book it states to have it on your back at all times, and i have heard people getting warning from the DEC when its on their bags, or in their pockets. 

Edited by LET EM GROW