back tag question

tommyc50

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

But by the reg book it states to have it on your back at all times, and i have heard people getting warning from the DEC when its on their bags, or in their pockets. 

It says visible in the middle of your back. if it's on your coast and then you put on a backpack it no longer is. Personally I will take my chances having it on my backpack. I can't see any officer giving you a ticket for that unless you are wise mouthed or have other tickets issued as well. 

• Like 2

I will be honest and say mine is always inside of my pack with my tags.  The few times I ran into DEC while hunting, none have ever said a thing about not having it visible.  Hunting public may be a different story.  And following the rule is the right thing to do.

• Like 1

I will be honest and say mine is always inside of my pack with my tags.  The few times I ran into DEC while hunting, none have ever said a thing about not having it visible.  Hunting public may be a different story.  And following the rule is the right thing to do.

Do you, sir, also cut the tag off your mattress? Sinner - how do you sleep a night?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It says visible in the middle of your back. if it's on your coast and then you put on a backpack it no longer is. Personally I will take my chances having it on my backpack. I can't see any officer giving you a ticket for that unless you are wise mouthed or have other tickets issued as well. 

I agree, I should have also mentioned, the person ticketed was getting ticketed for other reasons also, so Im sure that got thrown in there just to add to the fines.

58 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Since losing mine 3 times and finding it 2 out of the 3x. I now keep the goodies in my wallet, and the back tag in my zipped/buttoned pockets.  I hunt private land and rarely see any DEC at our place. 

• Like 2

Tags are in my wallet, backtag clipped on my daypack...Except for turkey season..I don't carry a pack  turkey hunting since my turkey vest doubles as my pack...I put the backtag on the vest...Sometimes I forget to transfer the backtag and hunt without it for a week or two or three... Oh well......

The book says " must be displayed on the middle of your back". If you are wearing it on your pack (like I do ) it is in the middle of your back. When I get in a stand it is still on the pack and usually visible. If someone doesn't like it ts.
If it is on the middle  of your back and you have a pack on it isn't visible

Same.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

in the southern zone i've been asked and have pulled it out of my pocket and handed it to them. i layer and have multiple sets of camo. not all have grommets for the tag holder pin. i'm not ruining expensive clothing to have it visible. no ECO has given me a hard time. if i was doing stuff wrong he might though. if given a ticket i'd fight it in court that i presented it upon request and that it's an arbitrary and antiquated regulation. if not required in the northern zone then it doesn't have to be required in the southern zone.

I put my back tag on either my backpack, or on the shoulder strap of my climber stand, I change outerwear often, so I have forgotten it many times in the past.    I was checked a few weeks ago by an ENCON officer, he checked my equipment, my actual license and tags were in the vehicle. He saw my back tag attached to my climber shoulder strap, did not say one word about it.

I retrieved my license and tags from the car as they were NOT on my person, showed him, he checked them over, and handed back to me, and said "have a nice day."  Got in his truck and left.

Edited by loworange88

1 hour ago, njg0621 said:

I'm confused on why you want a duplicate? Wear the tag on your back, if you lose it you go get another one.  Why do you need two? 

The law says it needs to be visible on your back.  My buddy had his in his backpack and got a ticket.

If its attached to my backpack, while my backpack is on my back....its visible.  If its attached to the back of my coat, and I have my backpack on, the tag is NOT visible on my back.

Yep.  That’s why they are perferated.  Separate things sir.  You don’t need a back tag to tag a deer.  Not even required to wear one in the NZ.  Back tag IS NOT either a buck or doe tag. 

Any idea why it’s not required up north but is Down here?

I'm a rebel.  I keep everything in my pocket since I lost 'em yrs ago.   Been checked several times over the years. Never had a issue. However, I only hunt private land. 

Were you check on the private land you hunt? Are they really allowed to just walk onto posted land ?

5 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Any idea why it’s not required up north but is Down here?

My guess is up north people dont get freaked  out seeing people with rifles in the woods and know more about hunting season . 

Edited by Storm914

24 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Were you check on the private land you hunt? Are they really allowed to just walk onto posted land ?

Yes I've been checked several times on private land.  Sometimes parking several hundred yards onto the private land and getting checked. I've also been checked as soon as I hit the town road. 

Yes I've been checked several times on private land.  Sometimes parking several hundred yards onto the private land and getting checked. I've also been checked as soon as I hit the town road. 

Not that it matters because I don’t break game laws but that drives me insane that they can just come on your private land. If I got checked on my own land I might be pretty annoyed