Hunting a Grape Vineyard

mlammerhirt

So does anyone else have any experience hunting a Grape vineyard. This is our third year and the past two we have basically skipped the vineyard and focused on the small patch of hard woods that deer transition from the crop fields to bedding?

Just wondering how you setup? Find a tree on the outer edge and shoot into the grapes? Ambush a travel route with the help of a ground blind?

Right now the bucks and does are in there on a regular basis ...and this is potentially our best shot at a shooter buck tending his doe.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I would think if you can narrow down entrance and exit routes and hunt the edges based on wind it would be best.  Tough to hunt the middle I would think as it probably like any other field - somewhat random movement.  If there is a particular area where they tend to hang in the actual vineyard, a blind or even just sitting a chair behind the vines might work.

We used to sit right in the bed of my truck and shoot the breeze while waiting for the deer to arrive. We were nuisance hunting and we'd always kill deer b4 they could get to the grapes it's all done hunting the vineyard now. The owner fenced it all in with 8 ft fence the whole 70 acres. They have there routes sometimes they'd show up outta know where. 

I would think if you can narrow down entrance and exit routes and hunt the edges based on wind it would be best.  Tough to hunt the middle I would think as it probably like any other field - somewhat random movement.  If there is a particular area where they tend to hang in the actual vineyard, a blind or even just sitting a chair behind the vines might work.
I gotta get a hang on up and really start finding a consistent travel route....may start near a snowmobile trial that enters the edge of the grapes.

The big guys like hanging back until dark, they will start moving toward fields, crops and food plots from their cover while it is still light enough for shooting. Find their trails where they are entering the vineyard and try to find a staging area back in the tree line where you can see and set up on the trail. Good chance on getting a shot as they prepare to come out after dark.

Al

multiple spots to enter. if hunting the edge pick a side downwind with activity. other setup a blind.  where a lot of deer activity is in the grapes you can sometimes concentrate them to a spot if there's grapes left and you use twine or survey tape to create a funnel for traffic. sounds odd but it works.

14 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I gotta get a hang on up and really start finding a consistent travel route....may start near a snowmobile trial that enters the edge of the grapes.

Find a good spot high up to glass most of the vineyard and observe one evening where they all enter.  Should give you a good plan to hang some sets.  Good luck

Find a good spot high up to glass most of the vineyard and observe one evening where they all enter.  Should give you a good plan to hang some sets.  Good luck
Gotcha....they are in there.....have seen two shooters in the last few days while I was entering or leaving the hardwoods.