Hearing protection, wood blinds

Nomad

So my one blind is more of a base camp , the hunting is so so where it’s placed ,I’ve never fired out of it . I always just worn soft ear plugs the few times I sat there ,now that we built this and it’s going to be in a much bettter spot,Im wondering about muffs or both? What do you who shoot out of these do ? The end of the barrel will be out the window , but it’s still gotta be loud . I do pistol shoot on an indoor range with just muffs, but rifles and shotguns I think would be louder .

Thanks

9284693F-B518-4C87-80A1-A19A02AB7A81.jpeg

i use a set of electronic ear muffs. can hear but the microphone cuts out with anything past a certain dB level. use them for pistol competition to hear range master instructions better. eliminates a set when the moment of truth arrives. i don't double up with ear plugs for hunting though.

• Like 1

Oh snap, those are hunting blinds ? I thought the ones along the side of the road by houses were for kids waiting for the school bus 

Yes, by all means keep the business end out the window before letting one rip.  My buddy once shot a woodchuck out his bathroom window with his .17    Couldn't hear for days      And agree that the electronic muffs would be the way to go 

• Like 1

I like that blind! I've shot a few from my tower box with the barrel definitely outside the window and haven't noticed an increase in db from the shot. I don't wear any hearing protection when hunting. Always when target shooting, but not hunting - hope I don't regret that in the future!

I will say that I once took kind of a hail mary shot at a yote from the sliding door in my living room, where I didn't really have the barrel out side the door. I WON'T make that mistake again! Good grief that was LOUD!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone .Bob I thought the same thing , i was just the “ helper”:on this one , the main builder I believe thought that would somewhat conceal us and block the sun . He hunts with electric muffs all,the time .....

TF, I’ve thought of stopping at  houses with old bus stop huts at the end of long driveways and seeing if I could buy or get for free when the kids were out of school . I see a bunch of obviously old ones around .

Its to darn wet to move it where we want right now 

I have been hunting out of box blinds for over 10 years. As long as the barrel is out of the window there has been no problem and I am usually using a 7 or 300 mags of sorts. I have not worn ear protection either. My wife that sits with me has never complained and he hearing is much more sensitive than mine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Thanks everyone .Bob I thought the same thing , i was just the “ helper”:on this one , the main builder I believe thought that would somewhat conceal us and block the sun . He hunts with electric muffs all,the time .....

TF, I’ve thought of stopping at  houses with old bus stop huts at the end of long driveways and seeing if I could buy or get for free when the kids were out of school . I see a bunch of obviously old ones around .

Its to darn wet to move it where we want right now 

i got an insanely silly idea of taking my daughters fisher price house and using it as a rifle blind. that'd be funny. a little small for bow though.

• Like 1

The overhang is an excellent plus. None of the 6 I built include overhangs as I built them all in one season without considering the need. I admit that at the magic hour before dark it is nearly impossible to shoot to the west.

You MAY want to add a window blind in front. I have modified all my windows to 10" in height. Really do not need much more. Blocks out more light but also minimizes movement inside the blind. Just a thought.

Thanks , we are adding “ ports” to the sides . When we are able to get it where we want ,it’ll face East,So morning sun . This year it may end up across the road facing south .

Love the blinds idea particularly if by myself , hope to sit with daughter as well .

Thanks it’s good to hear  what’s worked for others .

Like most have side of keep the barrel out the window. Funny story I got caught looking uphill outta one during late muzzleloader season and sure as heck deer start to appear on the logging Rd below the blind.....no time to move into position to shoot barrel out the window( not sure I realized it was still inside) and I let the smoke pole bark......well after the entire inside of the blind cleared from smoke....and I regained my senses....since the ringings in my ears was unreal..I then had to try and locate the deer. All ended well.....the deer only went 70 yards but I had a hell of a headache the rest of the day!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Any good recommendations on the electronic head muffs? I’ve been wanting a pair for a while but never know which ones are good.

Peltors' can be pricey depending on model but are thin and amazing.

I have tried Sport-Ear type and plain molded plugs but just can't seem to get used to them and my ear shape doesn't work well with them. I can't use temporary foam plugs at all.

I've been trying to wear more protection in field and easy in blind; a little harder a foot depending on how things are going. Did a lot of rifle shooting on a hunt this year and last afield,  was happy I made the effort. Wasn't 100% of the time, but better then nothing.

Looked it up; I have 300 sport tactical and they came with carry case and extra set soft ear cups; the electronic control is supposed to be better then some less expensive models in reaction time and hearing ambient sounds.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, Stay at home Nomad said:

So my one blind is more of a base camp , the hunting is so so where it’s placed ,I’ve never fired out of it . I always just worn soft ear plugs the few times I sat there ,now that we built this and it’s going to be in a much bettter spot,Im wondering about muffs or both? What do you who shoot out of these do ? The end of the barrel will be out the window , but it’s still gotta be loud . I do pistol shoot on an indoor range with just muffs, but rifles and shotguns I think would be louder .

Thanks

9284693F-B518-4C87-80A1-A19A02AB7A81.jpeg

I'll have 2 burgers and a coke....Just kiddin'...nice looking shack. Good luck .