Crossbow safety question

Bionic

Ok so i got my crossbow home Mission MXB 400

I have the crank on it...so like i said i just bought it, and was looking at it after i left the dealer.  I for some reason decided to feel the safety button.   I put the safety ON, then I could not turn it to fire.....is it SAFE to cock a ceossbow with the safety ON...i do not want to back off the crank if its not safely held in place to go shoot it.

I was nervous to the point that I did not want to add the bolt at that point, incase the safety did not engage,  even though the safety was on prior to cocking.  I was afraid to wind back the crank to remove the hooks.  Still a bit nerve racking, i got it figured out, and shot a bullseye.  

Thanks anyway Cory

• Like 1

As you found out, the safety will should always be off when getting ready to (re-) cocking it. There's no reason I can think of to have the safety on before cocking a Xbow...!?! At least on mine when  the string is fully cocked the string sets the safety to on. As CORY mentioned, some Xbows have a secondary safety, not allowing trigger to be pulled if an arrow isn't detected nested to the rear of the rails. Dry firing a Xbow is a big "NO-NO".

Edited by nyslowhand

6 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

As you found out, the safety will should always be off when getting ready to (re-) cocking it. There's no reason I can think of to have the safety on before cocking a Xbow...!?! At least on mine when  the string is fully cocked the string sets the safety to on. As CORY mentioned, some Xbows have a secondary safety, not allowing trigger to be pulled if an arrow isn't detected nested to the rear of the rails. Dry firing a Xbow is a big "NO-NO".

I realize all your points, as said I just bought the crossbow, so I was just feeling around so to speak.   Thats why I moved the safety to on, to get a feel for it, thats when it would not come off safety.....thankful it turned out ok, i was sweating it,  honestly.   I know all the other do's/don'ts of bows.  I was surprised, that the safety wouldn't release, as I was shoeing my girlfriend the crossbow when I got home. This question originally was intended in fear of an accidental dryfire actually.   It does indeed have secondary safety. 

Edited by Bionic

The more you shoot & handle your new toy, the more confident you'll get. BUT ... be warned a Xbow has a lot of moving parts and stored energy when cocked. Being a dumb-a$$, I got over confident and wasn't paying attention to what I was doing when shooting my Xbow the 1st year I had it. Almost lost the end of my index finger when I unknowingly got it up & onto the strings path on the forestock. WTH was I thinking.... A lesson learned the hard way for me that I do NOT want others to experience, so I share my dumb-a$$ness. lol

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

The more you shoot & handle your new toy, the more confident you'll get. BUT ... be warned a Xbow has a lot of moving parts and stored energy when cocked. Being a dumb-a$$, I got over confident and wasn't paying attention to what I was doing when shooting my Xbow the 1st year I had it. Almost lost the end of my index finger when I unknowingly got it up & onto the strings path on the forestock. WTH was I thinking.... A lesson learned the hard way for me that I do NOT want others to experience, so I share my dumb-a$$ness. lol

Ouuuuch, glad you are ok afterall

Here's another little cocking quirk I ran into, possible only on my Xbow mfger/model (10pt Turbo). In the dark one AM, only had interior SUV lights to illuminated my cocking of the Xbow. Faintly see the string set the safety to on. So, was assuming it was fully cocked. Fast forward a couple hours .. arrow in place, BB comes out behind my stand at ~12yrds broadside, aim, safety off, pull trigger, NOTHING. Reset safety to on & the off again, pulled trigger 2nd time - NOTHING. WTH, as BB is leisurely walking away. :O Guessing .. there is a certain point in the cocking process where string initiates safety, but not fully engaging it!??! What I now do & haven't had that problem since is to watch string set safety and keep ratcheting another maybe 1/8 a turn of hand crank. Don't want to get TOO over zealous, could damage string, safety, etc.

• Like 1