Always cold!? What’s everyone wearing ?

fadetoblack188

I just dabbled into the wonderful world of Marino wool. I didn't go for the minus33 brand . Before next season I will . The stuff I bought was 40 percent marino wool and it made a difference.  I just picked up some Kentucky royalty socks that are alpaca and are definitely the warmest socks I've owned.

When it gets real cold, I put a down vest under my jacket.  That helps a lot.  With that, a good hat and face mask on my head, mickey mouse boots on my feet, and my hands in a muff with a chemical warmer, if I stay out of the wind, I can handle the coldest conditions for as long as I need to.  

Pants: base layer(walmart verison of under armor),fleece pants,sweatpants,something thats wind resistant then outerlayer.  

Top: base layer,turtle neck,fleece coat, windbreak coat, then usually my hoodie if its really cold i throw my heavy coat over all of that but only during gun season.

Socks about the same type of layers except real cold morning i put a foot warmer inbetween my first 2 layers of socks.  And bring out the mickey mouse boots. Hate walking in them but feet do stay warm.

Everything i wear is pretty light weight minus the heavy jacket,mickey mouse boots and are all pretty cheap.  But it does help i can stand cold for the most part.

I feel like I have bought so many different things to try and stay warm. I still get cold. I have 2000 gram thinsalate boots with thermocells. Merino wool socks. Bottom layer I wear under armor if real cold then I wear fleece pants then my browning pants with wind shear. On top I wear under armor, cabellas heated vest, fleece top, then a heavy coat with hood. Winter hat...sometimes a neckie and my hood up. I am still cold when trying to sit still. If it is really really cold I have coveralls that I wear over all that other stuff. I just don't think its possible for me to stay warm when so inactive.  I go snowmobiling wearing 1/10 that stuff in much colder temps and I am never cold. Well that's not true either...its hard to stay warm up in Canada when it is -30F

I wasn't messing around this year. 3 pairs of socks, light ones and 2 heavy woolen over top. I also got the full body woolen long johns this year because I always get flesh exposed about the waist. 2 t-shirts under a light sweater, then the long johns under a heavier thermal sweater under my jacket. 2 hats at once. I was out quite a bit today and felt fine. 

Layering is the key, and it can all be done with cheap, off brand clothing

Edited by Papist

When it gets cold I wear Cabela’s MT050 parka and bibs, underneath I wear a thin UA-type base layer and Cabela’s thermal zone stand hunter base layer over that. That’s it. I also use a couple of adhesive body warmer hot hands on the inside of the parka. I’m warm as can be, I am done freezing in the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll add that I have learned to stay away from anything cotton that holds moisture and also got a pair of Arctic Shield boot blankets this year, they do work. I have been wearing lighter more comfortable boots with a light wool sock, put the boot blanket on in the stand and good to go.

My under armor thermals and socks just aren’t cutting it. Maybe I am getting older and colder I don’t know but need to figure it out so I am not miserable hunting.
Whats everyone wearing as a base? How many layers? 

Thanks

Heated Vest and Heated boot inserts are the ticket.

For me, it starts with keeping my head, hands and feet warm.  I wear a fleece balaclava and carhart watchman's cap.  Next, a Cabela's hand warmer muff and regular Mechanix gloves with hand warmers tucked inside.  Lastly, I'll either double up smartwool socks with handwarmers inside uninsulated Muck boots if it's reasonably cool or now I have a pair of Baffin -140* rated boots for when it's frozen out.

My primary cold weather gear are the Cabela's MT050 jacket and pants.  I wear heavyweight polypro base layers under that and add a fleece zip up jacket if I want extra warmth.  The key is to keep the wind from running through you and this system does exactly that.  

Poly base layer over wool socks muck woody max boots. Make sure boots are dried after every trip with peet boot dryer remove insoles to dry. Bass pro mid weight base layers. Long sleeve t .sweatshirt fleece vest. Sweat pants .Scent lock winter jacket and pants carried to stand . Knit cap with fleece baklava . Fingerless gloves and pocket warmers. Good down to 20 f.Colder than that it's full blown gortex parka and bibs.

And yes as I get older it is harder to stay warm . 5 hours on the stand yesterday in the wind was brutal. Windchill had to have had it in the teens.