Foreman vs Ali Fight

halfnelson

Just sittin in the easy chair getting ready to go out shortly.  Watching the Ali/Foreman fight for the umteenth time.  To me this is one of the greatest heavyweight fights of all times.

Foreman, a power house bruiser who totally destroyed Smokin Joe was totally outclassed by a savy, quick boxer Ali.

When it comes to boxers (rated by what they did in the ring-cause I'm not in love with the outside of the ring actions)...I always thought Ali was the quickest and best of most heavyweights.

Ali certainly was a great heavyweight and arguably the greatest of all time.  IMHO, IF Mike Tyson's first trainer, Cus D'Mato had not died and IF Tyson had stayed with Kevin Rooney instead of joining up with Don King he may have been the best there ever was. Both D'Mato and Rooney kept hm focused.  I always said... he was a bigger, stronger, faster version of Joe Frasier. He was cat quick and had thunder in both hands and in his earlier days before DK he had a defense that was hard to penetrate. Oh well..... 

Edited by nybuckboy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Foreman was a different fighter in his comeback. Knocking out Michael-- Moore at age 45 to be champ for the 2nd Time was awesome!

Foreman had a stamina problem in his first go around, it was not from the lack of training but from not knowing how to fight relaxed. His second go around he had no problem going deep into a fight even though he was older and not physically the same as he was as a young man because he learned how to fight relaxed.

Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Foreman had a stamina problem in his first go around, it was not from the lack of training but from not knowing how to fight relaxed. His second go around he had no problem going deep into a fight even though he was older and not physically the same as he was as a young man because he learned how to fight relaxed.

Al

He went from a street brawler to a boxer in his second career

• Like 1

Probably the best Foreman fight that I ever saw happened in 1976 when he fought Ron Lyle. It was not marked with outstanding defense as they took turns knocking each other down several times. It was just a battle of raw power between two outstanding punchers and a great display of courage and toughness. It only lasted 5 rounds, but finally after both fighters were up and down, and almost out many times, Foreman put Lyle away.