Crossbow string mishap

BuckFever21

My cousin came up late last night from Florida to hunt a few days with crossbow until gun season opens on Saturday. We decide to take a few practice shots this morning before heading into the woods. After taking several shots at target with his Barnett Ghost 360 that all fly high over target he decides to adjust scope only to have the string explode on his very next attempt. He brought his crossbow up with him in a hard case on plane from Florida. Needless to say our day was ruined being the shop we brought crossbow to didn't have that particular string in stock and had to order one and won't be repaired till mid week. Has anyone had this happen to them, if not any idea why this would happen ?

6 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Never had it happen personally but that’s the exact reason why I won’t own an Xbow that I can’t change the string myself without a press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same reason i bought an excalibur recurve. No bow shops close by and i figured if something did happen id have to wait for ordered cables or strings. Cost me some fps as i had to get a 200# pull model at 305fps. Figured it was the lesser of 2 evils

• Like 2

Scary. Maybe the string had a nick or was frayed? I always check mine. I swap mine out every 2-3 years regardless. I have Excalibur recurve so I can do it myself in like 10 minutes.

Your friend should always keep a second string on hand and keep an eye on the string. It’s easy to get frayed from hitting bushes or thorns with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting question considering all the stress put on a Xbow string simly cocking it and the huge amount of energy released upon pulling the trigger. No easy answer considering all the differences between a compound vs Xbow. Gotta think it is much less than a compound bow string, BUT really relative to how much you shoot. I probably shoot my Xbow <10X each year, including confirming scope settings and shooting deer. JMO, a small % of what vertical bow hunters shoot/yr...

I had to replace my string on my barnett xbow this year cause it broke too. Did not hurt the limbs.

I bought it last year at field and stream. Field and stream would not order a string for it niether.

I contacted Barnett and the strings were out of stock however the found one on Amazon prime for me. Cost 20 dollars.

The local bowshop in elmira heights also ordered me one and installed it for me. Cost 50 dollars to get fixed including a new string. Now I have an extra string.

Yes, had it happen to me.

First, I'll say I am NOT a fan of Barnett crossbows. My first was a Barnett, and it was a dog with fleas. My best bet is that he didn't have the bolt snug against the string when he fired, I'm pretty sure that was what happened in my case. I also dry-fired the crossbow once (yes, I'm that stupid, I had my kids with me, they were acting up, the bow wasn't shooting right, and I was frazzled, at least that's my story  :rolleyes: ).

I replaced my Barnett when I had enough about 8 years ago, bought a Horton right before they went out of business. I still have the original string, no signs of wear, I do keep the rails lubricated. Rough estimate is that I've fired 400-500 shots (this includes practice and firing a shot into the backstop bag after each hunt) with the Horton, no signs of wear & tear (yet).

Edited by Uncle Nicky

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Yes, had it happen to me.

First, I'll say I am NOT a fan of Barnett crossbows. My first was a Barnett, and it was a dog with fleas. My best bet is that he didn't have the bolt snug against the string when he fired, I'm pretty sure that was what happened in my case. I also dry-fired the crossbow once (yes, I'm that stupid, I had my kids with me, they were acting up, the bow wasn't shooting right, and I was frazzled, at least that's my story :) ).

I replaced my Barnett when I had enough about 8 years ago, bought a Horton right before they went out of business. I still have the original string, no signs of wear, I do keep the rails lubricated. Rough estimate is that I've fired 400-500 shots with the Horton, no signs of wear & tear (yet).

Horton didnt go out of business, they were bought by TenPoint.

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Horton didnt go out of business, they were bought by TenPoint.

They stopped making Horton crossbows for a couple years and selling parts as well as servicing the old Horton products, pretty sure you can't get any customer service for anything made prior to the the buyout.  I guess I should have been more specific? But yes, Ten Point is now manufacturing crossbows under the Horton name.

At first we thought it had something to do with him transporting the xbow from Florida to NY. Another thing I realized is he cocks his xbow by hand and not using cocking device, could that have been the problem ? Like I said the xbow is fairly new and not fired many times at all. Even the guy at flying arrows said it was strange where the string broke. Needless to say it will cost him a few bucks to repair. Looking forward to gun season for sure. Thanks for everyones advice and input.

5 hours ago, BuckFever21 said:

At first we thought it had something to do with him transporting the xbow from Florida to NY. Another thing I realized is he cocks his xbow by hand and not using cocking device, could that have been the problem ?

No, cocked is cocked. I'm still going with the nock of the bolt was not making complete contact with the string at the time he squeezed the trigger. Barnett is notorious for having "fast" crossbows, probably too much power.