dehydrator for jerky

Jeremy K

For the guys that don't use their oven ,what are you using ? I used to use my parents oven for making jerky because it was electric ,our gas stove will stink up the house something fierce from the burner turning on and off to regulate the temp with the door slightly open.

3 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I use one of those Oster brand 4 tray dehydrators with the jerky setting...works good, have an electric meat slicer as well.  I don't mske jerky often, so this works just fine.  

The last few years ive been doing it with the ground stuff and the jerky gun .

I bought a couple a cheap dehydrators that worked but not very well, they were slow and the trays of jerky did not dry evenly. Sprung for an Excalibur because of all the positive reviews and it worked as advertised, large quantities  done very fast with even drying on all trays. 

I do the ground meat method with a jerky gun and assorted packaged seasonings, much better flavor and for an old gummer like me easy to chew.:rofl:

If you are a serious jerky maker you will not go wrong with one of these.

Al

2018-11-11_144538.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, airedale said:

I bought a couple a cheap dehydrators that worked but not very well, they were slow and the trays of jerky did not dry evenly. Sprung for an Excalibur because of all the positive reviews and it worked as advertised, large quantities  done very fast with even drying on all trays. 

I do the ground meat method with a jerky gun and assorted packaged seasonings, much better flavor and for an old gummer like me easy to chew.:rofl:

If you are a serious jerky maker you will not go wrong with one of these.

Al

2018-11-11_144538.png

I got one headed my way via Amazon, thank you.

• Like 2

i second on the excalibur. we use one and its at least once or twice a month.The wife makes chicken jerky for our 4 our dogs. it holds about 16 lbs. of jerky that we extrude through the jerky attachment that attaches to our grinder, its one of the Lem big bites.Awesome grinders.

lem jerky.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Thanks Airedale , I used a cheap one as well, ground W/ jerky gun. Takes a long  time ,have to rotate the jerky and trays .

Ill give that a look .

I looked into it tonight , there is 2 models . a 2900 and a 3900 ,the 3900 seems to built a little more rugged and has a 10 year warranty compared to the 2900 5 year warranty . the price difference was 20 dollars.

I'm kinda embarrassed.....

I use a cardboard box, a light bulb, a fan out of broken computer to move air, and some cheap cooling trays from dollar store. 

If one is looking for softer version of jerky, google up "biltong"; its  easier to chew and jerky like. Uses a different spice(heavy on coriander), but same idea. 

Never tried jerky gun, don't like the texture of pemmican but I guess its more rich in fat that makes it so.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I'm kinda embarrassed.....

I use a cardboard box, a light bulb, a fan out of broken computer to move air, and some cheap cooling trays from dollar store. 

If one is looking for softer version of jerky, google up "biltong"; its  easier to chew and jerky like. Uses a different spice(heavy on coriander), but same idea. 

Never tried jerky gun, don't like the texture of pemmican but I guess its more rich in fat that makes it so.

That's funny but in a respectful way. :)

I'd put your version up against any store bought machine.  You've garnered enough intel from visiting the people that rely on this type of thing.  You might not be into drying it in the open atmosphere like them but your version is probably great. 

• Like 1

https://www.cabelas.com/product/home-cabin/kitchen-dining/food-dehydrators/pc/104798880/c/104739480/sc/104294880/cabelas-l-commercial-food-dehydrator/2339805.uts?slotId=0

I also grind my jerky (what she said), after seasoning over night I put it between 2 pieces of wax paper, on a cutting board, and use a rolling pin to roll it flat.  Peel off the top piece of wax paper, then lay it flat on the rack and peel off the paper.  Rinse and repeat.  Comes out almost like a potato chip, but flavorful meat.  Keeps really well this way if you do a bunch (20 lbs) at a clip.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/home-cabin/kitchen-dining/food-dehydrators/pc/104798880/c/104739480/sc/104294880/cabelas-l-commercial-food-dehydrator/2339805.uts?slotId=0

I also grind my jerky (what she said), after seasoning over night I put it between 2 pieces of wax paper, on a cutting board, and use a rolling pin to roll it flat.  Peel off the top piece of wax paper, then lay it flat on the rack and peel off the paper.  Rinse and repeat.  Comes out almost like a potato chip, but flavorful meat.  Keeps really well this way if you do a bunch (20 lbs) at a clip.

I have to second that choice. Wife got it for me for my birthday and I put 15# of sliced venison in it and still had one tray left empty. Never had to rotate trays. It worked equally well on sliced jerky and using the jerky shooter. 

• 2 months later...