Getting ready for the 17th

MPHunter

I don't bow hunt so my season with weapon in hand is this Saturday.

Checked the rifle - 3 shots at 50 yds - don't have a farther clear shot in the woods so that's where I zero it in

Got the ground blind freshened up

View from the blind

Can't wait!

Who else is just getting out for the SZ opener?

9a89c253507102ac16e0305478e27817.jpg0665b5d8ab6ee092add38fcf39e61d98.jpg733dd2883dcafa61d90ca99cfda9c8d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 9

It's the most wonderful day of the year (and I am a Christmas baby).   I can not wait.   On my last three crossbow hunts, I saw mature bucks that would have been chip shots with my slug gun.   The one I blew it on this morning really has me ready for Saturday.   I will be ready this time and hopefully he will be back.   

nice ground blind set up.. i prefer the crossbow pre-rut/rut hunting but have lots of good opening day memories... anything can happen really. shot my 30-06 at 50 yds today was 3" high and 3" left, must've bumped the scope.. took 12-15 shots to get it right but feeling much better about saturday now... good luck 

I'm excited, my hunting buddy and one of my closest friends will be up Fri morning from LI and we will be hunting for three days on my property. Been hunting with him for 47 yrs. We started out shooting squirrels from tree tops on the island with Sheridan Air Rifles as little punks. Me and him are the only ones left. Alot of other hunters have come and gone.

• Like 4

The local gun club is within hearing distance and I have been hearing rifle shots from that direction on a daily basis..

Checked out the 7MM08 and the .280 and both are spot on, about  2"high at 100...Most shots from my tower are between 100 and 250..

Going up today to make sure the heater is working in the tower...My buddy  has been xbow hunting the property near our food plot..He saw 19 deer last night, including a 6 an 8 and a big 10..

• Like 3

17 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Of course I’ll be out, it’s opening day of gun! Good luck and be safe. I like your view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. Picture is a little deceiving.  I'm on the edge of the first plateau of a pretty steep ridge with a long gentle slope up to some green fields across from me. Good luck to you too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That's an awesome blind. Good luck.  I will def be out. I'm not that much on gun season but really like opening day. 

Thanks.I like to keep my feet on the ground! Especially when it is cold and windy. The pine boughs make a good wind break. Good luck.

Edited by MPHunter

15 hours ago, JRod 8G8H said:

nice ground blind set up.. i prefer the crossbow pre-rut/rut hunting but have lots of good opening day memories... anything can happen really. shot my 30-06 at 50 yds today was 3" high and 3" left, must've bumped the scope.. took 12-15 shots to get it right but feeling much better about saturday now... good luck 

Yup opening day is usually crazy. .Our property is about 120 acres of woods surrounded by green files and corn fields. We usually get a lot of doe and smaller bucks cruising through with the occasional big boy. Hope to get an opportunity this year. Good luck.

Edited by MPHunter

6 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Gettin ready myself; went to the range Saturday to sight in my 30-30 was 3 inches off to the left till I adjusted. How does that happen in between seasons I always wonder :dontknow:

Gun cabinet gremlins? I hear ya. This is the first time I can remember not having to tweak the scope even a little. 

Just now, MPHunter said:

Yup opening day is usually crazy. .Our property is about 120 acres of woods surrounded by green files and corn fields. We usually get a lot of doe and smaller bucks cruising through with the occasional big boy. Hope to get an opportunity this year. 

historically if there's still a hot doe or two in the area on opening day i've been lucky.. last year i think the 2nd/late rut was hotter than the 1st rut in my area.. i had fresh scrapes and rubs in December... otherwise all the deer got into bedding even before i got to my stand in the morning..

My rifles were out and checked early September, alls good. 7MM-08 right on 1/4" high at 50, .25-06 about an 1/8" left and 1/2" high at 50. I have to check these things early as I hunt the NZ Regular season alot most years on private land.

I even put a few slugs through the shotgun to no avail, even with the IMPCY choke I bought, the best is still a 10" group of five slugs. Way out of what I would shoot at a deer with.

If I am out Saturday it will only be for a few hours in the morning. 

My rifles were out and checked early September, alls good. 7MM-08 right on 1/4" high at 50, .25-06 about an 1/8" left and 1/2" high at 50. I have to check these things early as I hunt the NZ Regular season alot most years on private land.
I even put a few slugs through the shotgun to no avail, even with the IMPCY choke I bought, the best is still a 10" group of five slugs. Way out of what I would shoot at a deer with.

If I am out Saturday it will only be for a few hours in the morning. 

My slug gun was all over the place today, I didn’t have the time or slugs to get it right. It’ll have to stay home. If I hunt 9f I’ll use the ML

I have this week off and the 1st 3 days of gun.Been hunting my new property with the cross bow and had a big 8pt come within 15yds of me but no clear shot.The weather is going to get pretty cold the rest of the week and could get some significant snow fall also.My gun stand is ready and my 30/30 is ready to put some venison on the ground.In the mean time I'm still trying to get one with the cross bow.Good luck everyone and be safe!

I haven’t shot a deer on opening day sine 2000 yeah that’s along time. I’m very selective I don’t shoot small bucks or does. Personal preference! I usually take a doe during muzzle loading season when the deer are back to somewhat normal. I’m hoping to whack a couple coyotes to be truthful. Those damn things seem to be ravaging the deer heard! Good luck this weekend boys and girls.

• Like 1

Went out to Sodfather’s Clarence Rifle Academy to get everything checked out today. Had some trials and tribulations but we got them sighted in. This complimentary target from Colley Pools was handy 75398c9b37fcdfb4ceb177f650256f63.jpg&key=717d249ec099df3177c60530e69363205616a0fb8f151f57225799b42dd883d4e17df7fb19d93258d51b46fe2b0358c8.jpg&key=81ef4c394a2bdd535fc3d007e636eaf3799cc5d34d5f8f580c1c48c74790f3efa7d6a2b6cc8b2cd41ef5fa9bd78f99c3.jpg&key=222bdf8863ca94d3bd2b2e71df8154a20327337950577376dba2fd16ee48310bbd9b8080229bf71157eed5a69ad3b00b.jpg&key=aec7bd01526fca86cba1e51c23c05f61bb3f7d9a4d4ce2cddffda75beb553b97We are as ready as we are going to get

Love that target! We always save our campaign signs to use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Washed my hunting clothes today , first time since bow opener . Took out my rifle and daughters 20 ga, they’re already dialed in mostly fondled them and dug out some ammo .

Daughter stopped by to visit or really drop off laundry ... told her that her stand  was hot, but she needs to sit a bit and they’re moving behind it oddly .

Got heater ready for hut and drier sheets as mice are trying to take it,over . Hut is back up plan if she gets cold .

• Like 1