Getting ready for the 17th

MPHunter

Been shooting my 270 quite a bit over the summer. And my grandson, his 7mm-08. My hunting buddy and I, shot our confidence shots yesterday. From 100 to 200 yards. All good!

Though my true love is archery season, I do look forward to opening day of gun. It brings back old memories of hunts long ago, with hunters no longer here.

And always the anticipation of a successful hunt.

We are all set to go. Wishing you all a safe and successful opening day.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

That is my crude ground blind. I will be sitting where my orange hat is. I have a good view in 3 directions in very open hardwoods. This is only my 16th time out for Deer since 1974. Find out Saturday depending on the Snow. Monroe  might get 7"  late this week.

Good luck, Bill !!

28 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

That is my crude ground blind. I will be sitting where my orange hat is. I have a good view in 3 directions in very open hardwoods. This is only my 16th time out for Deer since 1974. Find out Saturday depending on the Snow. Monroe  might get 7"  late this week.

Looks good they have those old stone walls where I hunt to.

Some of them are over 400 years old I am told  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Best of luck to you Bill! I hope you kill a nice buck.

I sighted in my shotgun (sabots; no rifle in 9A) today. Went to the same indoor range I go to every year. This time, in addition to bringing my lead sled, I brought wood shingles to wedge the tabletop so it wouldn't wobble, and wood clamps so the lead sled wouldn't move around. Worked out great. Still took me 11 shots to sight in a gun that should have been fine, but what can you do. Maybe I didn't zero it in as accurately as I thought last year. Still need to switch from the camo hunting fanny pack to my orange fishing vest for all the things I like to keep on my person like rangefinder, tags, etc. Stands are all set.

I have gone through 3 boxes of bullets with my 270 since September.  Gun is ready and have confidence in my gun, now I just have to do my part.

Tree stands and ground spots have been up. I have access to several pieces of property so I can also still hunt and not burn up a piece of land.

I bow hunt but I love gun season. Going to my lease land for opening day with my father Saturday.  Spots are ready and did not hunt it during bow.

He taught me how to hunt on that piece of land as a kid growing up before leasing was a thing over 25 years ago. We haven't hunted it in probably 15 to 20 years because it got leased by others. When it came available this year I was in a position to afford it and leased it.

I have been on the property maybe 6 times now this year and see deer every time. The deer are still in the same spots that I remember as a kid. 

Very excited and good luck to everyone and be safe.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Fingers crossed for you Bill - looking forward to the photos and story!

19 hours ago, goosifer said:

Still need to switch from the camo hunting fanny pack to my orange fishing vest for all the things I like to keep on my person like rangefinder, tags, etc.

I do the same thing. I have a tattered old fly fishing vest that I wear under my coat. I think it has like 20-ish pockets. Been using that for about 30 years. Have to spend a little time with needle and thread every year or so.

• Like 2

Opening day of gun season means less and less to me each year. But, it's still a very special day historically in the deer hunting world and I do look forward to the short window of what might happen before the impact is had on deer behavior.

Comparatively, opening day was a school holiday in the south when I was a kid and got into hunting. It was a big deal and the anticipation was all us kids could talk about for weeks ahead of that. Bowhunting didn't have the fervor but was gaining steam.

Some of that anticipation seems to be gone now as I know that day changes the way deer behave significantly, the Saturday opener waters it down, and it changes my focus/interest; pair that with small acreage/high hunter density and it's a recipe for dreaming about the next bow season or the one day I might get out for muzzleloader season.

I’m working so who cares lol. I’ll be out Sunday but really look forward to late season so I can still hunt and track. We don’t do that early on because of the other hunters, don’t want to spoil their hunt. 

Ill see how long I can sit in one spot Sunday, I’m betting 1hr then I’ll be bored to death.  

The big decision is what gun to use. 

Edited by Doewhacker

I can’t recall the last year I killed a buck opening day, well I know the buck and I know Ontario County was still shotgun, that’s about it. Yet I’m still,pumped for OD ! Ready for rifle , ill say this my spot has been good after OD, Sunday in particular,, more then once big bucks were in fields in daylight on Sunday , like it wasn’t even gun season .

Not a lot of pressure in three directions of my spot ,some yes but mostly guys just sitting in stands .

OD allows my daughter to come ,doubling the stands covered ,and rifle allows me to shoot the bucks in the field I can only hope come close in bow .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I  am not an avid deer hunter, nor am I a trophy hunter, but opening day of deer season has always been the most SPECIAL  day of the year....

I love that you refer to it as opening day of deer season. I do too. I call oct. 1rst the first day of bow season, not deer season.