Another year has gone by

Engraver99

Another year has gone by. This is signaled by the arrival of city folk in my neck of the woods and the all day Thursday/Friday and sometimes Saturday sighting in of slug guns and rifles. Also there is an endless search for deer from vehicles and quads to check out the neighboring fields. It's a good time of year! Good luck to everyone who shows up this year or is already here. My a-bolt slug gun and 06 are ready for the season - let the party begin!

• Like 2

Yep, here too. Steady increase in gunshots as people start checking sights/scopes (I presume). And today someone was nailing up posted signs all along the far edge of the woods I hunt, while I sat in my blind on the other side. That's OK though, cuz my woods are too small for gunning, and deer traffic picks up there once the gun season opens..

I was changing the oil in my tractor today when a guy pulled into my driveway. He wanted permission to hunt on my property and got a little agitated when I said no. I'm not sure what part of NO he misunderstood. NO I don't want you on my property, or NO I don't want you hunting on my property. I thought they were both pretty straight-forward responses to his question. The guy wasn't local, I know most all the local inhabitants and miscreants. He was pushy to the point where I crawled out from under the tractor with my hand on my hip holster. I tried not to be rude, but I asked him very specifically to leave my property and not come back. I'm thinking he was a Democrat, but that's just speculation. ;-)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I was changing the oil in my tractor today when a guy pulled into my driveway. He wanted permission to hunt on my property and got a little agitated when I said no. I'm not sure what part of NO he misunderstood. NO I don't want you on my property, or NO I don't want you hunting on my property. I thought they were both pretty straight-forward responses to his question. The guy wasn't local, I know most all the local inhabitants and miscreants. He was pushy to the point where I crawled out from under the tractor with my hand on my hip holster. I tried not to be rude, but I asked him very specifically to leave my property and not come back. I'm thinking he was a Democrat, but that's just speculation. ;-)

You put your hand on your side arm ? Gimme a break.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

You put your hand on your side arm ? Gimme a break.

Well, the rag was in the nearby pocket and I needed to wipe my hands. Going for the gun or the rag? It's hard to tell sometimes.

The guy left, and I don't imagine he'll be back. It's just very strange to be bullied on your own property by someone who has no right to bully you on your property. The IRS or EPA can do it because they're the government. But some schmoe who thinks he can hunt on your property just because, is way out of line.

• Haha 1

strange encounter. Should something like that happen again, you may want to ask for their name and number and tell them you will call them back with your answer. Or ask for their name and address so you can fill out the hunting lease. Any excuse. Maybe take down their license plate? If they never come back, all good, but with people like that, I worry they may try to hunt on your land anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philoshop said:

Well, the rag was in the nearby pocket and I needed to wipe my hands. Going for the gun or the rag? It's hard to tell sometimes.

The guy left, and I don't imagine he'll be back. It's just very strange to be bullied on your own property by someone who has no right to bully you on your property. The IRS or EPA can do it because they're the government. But some schmoe who thinks he can hunt on your property just because, is way out of line.

I'm sure he would rather you grabbed the rag

The license plate was from New Jersey. That was all I needed to know. City guy trying to snow a local. Oops.

There are only two ways into my back woods: through my yard; or through my neighbor's yard. My neighbor has rottweilers that barely tolerate me. A stranger would be lunch meat. And I'm always armed and sleep very little. The Jersey boy left disappointed. So sad to be you, ya schmuck. 

11 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm sure he would rather you grabbed the rag

I didn't grab anything. I just  positioned myself for a confrontation that thankfully didn't happen. I have no desire to randomly kill New Jersyians no matter how annoying they tend to be. I was being cautiously prudent regarding my concealed firearm and the given situation. I'm not used to taking NY/NJ city crap in my own driveway. Jeesus these people can be a**holes. Are they bred to be that way? Why?

It's why I live in the fly-over part of the state. I know my neighbors and many of the citizens of my little city. We get along quite happily. When someone screws with that we all get upset and chase the interloper out. Parents of college students aren't here long enough to really get the hairy eyeball. I suspect that's where my visitor was from.