need some help

tommyc50

hey guys I was up hunting and well when it rains it pour first the hot water heater stopped working then last nite the oil burner went out about 9:30. I just got up there and dealt with it as best I could. It was cold this morning 25 outside and 50 inside but I was going hunting and deal with it when it warmed up a little .I checked the tank and it has oil and what was happening the indicter lite was on so I held the reset button for a minute and the pump would go on and then trip again the boiler was not igniting and the reset button on the control box kept tripping .Im gas man and as you see know nothing of oil burner so if anybody could help I would appreciate it  

I don't know a thing about oil-fired appliances. But as a general observation it sounds to me like you might have a moisture problem in your fuel. The solution might be as simple as a couple bottles of something to displace the moisture. I don't know. Hopefully someone here will have a solution, or you call in a pro.

I heat with wood. When the wood is wet it doesn't burn very well. I dry it out in my living room and it heats my house. Simple.

More than likely your nozzle is plugged. The best thing to do is buy a couple so you have a spare on hand but you need to remove the old one so you know what size to buy. Also check the electric eye & clean. Some times they get covered in soot. The nozzle will look like this:

nozzle.png

You might have lost prime . Should be a bleeder valve on the unit, looks like a brake bleeder valve. If I remember right it’s a 3/ 8 wrench might be wrong . Put the wrench on and get a rubber hose to fit on the bleeder and run hose into can. Open the valve like a half turn and turn on furnace wait till you have solid stream of  fuel oil close bleeder. If you lost prime after this it should light.. 

21 hours ago, rob-c said:

You might have lost prime . Should be a bleeder valve on the unit, looks like a brake bleeder valve. If I remember right it’s a 3/ 8 wrench might be wrong . Put the wrench on and get a rubber hose to fit on the bleeder and run hose into can. Open the valve like a half turn and turn on furnace wait till you have solid stream of  fuel oil close bleeder. If you lost prime after this it should light.. 

yes that was it ,see my friend owns the house and he was hunting in alberta ,so I couldn't talk to him but after he got back he told me to drain the tank a little and theres a bleeder valve on the side of the control box like one on the brakes on a car [duh!!! I seen that] and to drain that. Oh yeah the hotwater heater he told me the elements went bad so im going up Thursday to take care of everything thank you so much . it was crazy it all went @ once and with the boiler we had an incredible amount of rain so water might have gotten in the tank alittle.

• Like 1