Hunting camp food

Team Hoyt

Many of the "deer camps" I have had were just tents in the woods. So Dinty Moore Beef Stew or Hormel Chili was a big thing for dinners. Then we got into the freeze dried stuff, I don't remember the brand, but one had a spaghetti with meat sauce that was great, as well as a seafood chowder that was pretty good.

Deer camps before that were when I was too young to hunt deer, but old enough to help put on drives. The camp was called "The Big House", always venison chili, venison stew, beef stew, and turkey soup.

Next season, even though I will be 'renting' a cabin for a few days ( still deer camp to me ), we are taking the slow cooker and not sured what's planned yet. I am sure chili, some stews, and if it's not freezing a chicken cooked over camp fire coals. Who knows.

• venison steak/ chops and eggs for breakfast. Dinner is usually a big beef stew, or maybe a real thick hearty chicken noodle soup/ Italian sausage soup. Lasagna is also great. most all of them can be prepared ahead of time. the w/e after Thanksgiving is normally turkey noodle soup.

we use to have 9 layer lasagna night before opening day. would take the whole day before and cook down the sauce before adding 20lbs if cheese and 20 lbs of sausage and ground beef  and cook it up.. that all ended with the sat opener :( not.enough prep time when most dont get down till after work and later on fri night.. now no true meal.before opening day.. :(

the rest of camp food depends how many and who is in camp.. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My Camp isnt what it used to be, No one is around anymore to enjoy opening weekend of gun season like we used to. I sure do miss it, the jokes, the beers, the comaradarie was just a blast. We would always cook up a ton of chili, goulash, lasagna you name it. The second night was either left overs or a Trip down to Bins Bins Chinese Buffet in Bath.. That place was the best around. We always made sure we got there almost everytime we went down..

I miss those days like crazy, I only like 20minutes from camp now so i just travel back and forth. I will say not having so many people around sucks, but the hunting has gotten soo much better..   

• Like 2