opinions on bench/rifle rests

Engraver99

Am in the market for a new rifle/bench rest. I have a nice one now, but in my new location, I do not have a bench nor can I place one from where I shoot. I set up my current vice/rest on the ground in my driveway and sight my guns in from there usually at 100 yards. The angle I have to commit to while laying on the ground and using the vice does not allow the butt-end to fit exactly into my shoulder pocket and my collar bone gets wacked and bruised from the steel "v" that holds the rifle/shotgun butt end. This happens, because I can't clamp or secure the vice to the driveway. This is not a problem with the smaller calibers of course, but sighting in my a-bolt slug gun put a hurtin on my collar bone using it this way. Any suggestions?

Ouch!! Shooting a heavy recoiling slug gun laying down is not pleasant, there is very little give when that stock comes back. You can come up with a serviceable make shift bench that is portable for your 100 yard driveway range for not a whole lot of money.

One of those folding steel legged plastic topped utility tables with a folding chair will do a half way decent job for a bench. There is a multitude of rests that can be purchased within your budget for the table top, everything from simple bags all the way up to a fancy lead sled. The table itself can also be used for other useful duties around the home. A picnic table can also serve as a shooting bench.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

The only issue I see with this is the very bottom. a frame set up like that would need a PERFECTLY flat area or it will rock. 

a tripod style will give you much more stable footing in any terrain. We had these at out last banquet and they looked really nice

https://x-stand.com/product/the-x-ecutor-360/

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The only issue I see with this is the very bottom. a frame set up like that would need a PERFECTLY flat area or it will rock. 

a tripod style will give you much more stable footing in any terrain. We had these at out last banquet and they looked really nice

https://x-stand.com/product/the-x-ecutor-360/

I like it - am ordering one! Thanks

3 minutes ago, wooly said:

Picked this thing out of the bargain cave last year for $10.... regular $170 or something like that.

Finally pulled it out of the box a few weeks ago and it's on it's way to the blind for the opener this weekend.

DSC_0106.thumb.JPG.af1bcea1275c321f69c0a6aad68de689.JPG

DSC_0103.thumb.JPG.9c0f0523b933a81afb268099c7be91ab.JPG

awesome deal, I have a tripod with a pig saddle I use for coyote hunting, also have a trigger stick I use for on-the-go deer hunting (beacuse it's light...lol) but was looking for something to sight in with using my vice/rest.

thanks

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

seemed nice and stable and could fit a lead sled on it if you wanted. 

Nope ordered the bigger one less than $115 delivered. My vice is 16" wide so I thought I should get the wider one. Besides they wanted $40 to ship the smaller one and only $18 to ship the 360. The 360 (larger one) ended up being cheaper also! Good deal with 25% off - thanks for mentioning it!

Happy Hunting

Edited by Engraver99
  • Like 1

I have a Caldwell "Rock BR" and a few bags if anyone is interested.

Used almost exclusively for rimfire bench rest competition so there is no heavy recoil wear and tear, although I can't imagine this thing being hurt in any way by heavy recoil. Ignore the funky make-shift forend sled on the gun. I was experimenting with getting the recoil to come straight back. It actually  worked quite well. Ruger 10/22 that shoots around a quarter inch at fifty yards, BTW. Don't even ask about the cost. It's kind of embarrassing, but was assembled over a period of years. And I'm single, so I can do that.

post-4931-0-87686600-1459784106_thumb.jpg

Be careful with the led sleds, my buddy's Encore stock basically crumbled and he called TC they said let me guess, Caldwell lead sled? There needs to be someplace for all that energy to go so don't make it too heavy
It's not good for optics either I've heard, it's like dropping or slamming them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Received my X-Ecutor 360 today. Fast Shipping - here in 3 days. Pretty simple to put together altho I was missing 2 bolts. It's pretty darn sturdy and beefy and should do the trick anytime I want to sight in. Not too heavy at 40lbs. and Breaks down into 2 pieces. will have to test it out when sighting in my muzzleloader. Thanks again for the suggestion Culver

sand bag the front high enough so you can fit the stock into your shoulder. or just sit or kneel. its how you will be shooting anyway unless your taking your shooting device in the woods with you. it will take more rounds down range to get sighted in comfortably , but hey more shooting makes you a better shot. your not going to take  a shooting aid into an elevated stand.start at twenty and move back . it will take boxes of ammo but hey at least you will know what you have.Old school baby. old timers knew what they were doing.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:15 PM, Engraver99 said:

Am in the market for a new rifle/bench rest. I have a nice one now, but in my new location, I do not have a bench nor can I place one from where I shoot. I set up my current vice/rest on the ground in my driveway and sight my guns in from there usually at 100 yards. The angle I have to commit to while laying on the ground and using the vice does not allow the butt-end to fit exactly into my shoulder pocket and my collar bone gets wacked and bruised from the steel "v" that holds the rifle/shotgun butt end. This happens, because I can't clamp or secure the vice to the driveway. This is not a problem with the smaller calibers of course, but sighting in my a-bolt slug gun put a hurtin on my collar bone using it this way. Any suggestions?

I Built a portable bench from pictures on the internet. 3 metal legs screwed into pipe flanges attached underneath to doubled up 3/4 inch plywood.  Nice and portable with the legs detached from the bench. Slide into your vehicle and go. 

OK guys..no laughing please.:stop: I live in a rural area and once a year my township and adjacent townships have annual clean up's. I, like many, drive the roads taking inventory on whats be dis-guarded.  I picked up an iron board and made a mobile shooting table. I added 2 inch PVC pipe lengths on all four legs for stability and I got a very stable shooting bench that adjusts to heights easily.  Add a 5gal bucket for a seat and start shootin'.

I'll take a pic when the sun comes up and give you a look...and it was "free". LOL  FT

Edited by Freytown