Grinder Recommendations

UpStateRedNeck

Thinking of asking the Wife for a grinder for Christmas!  Been using the little grinder add on to her Kitchen Aid for about 8 years, and I'm pretty over it.  Ideally I'd like something that I could drop almost fist sized chunks of meat into!  The longest part of the process seems to be cutting up the meat.  Would like to keep it under 300 but that might be unrealistic?  Any help is appreciated!

I know this is a bit over your cost but I have this one. WNYbuckhunter has seen it work. It is an animal. We literally toss in 3" chunks of almost frozen venison and you can't load it fast enough.  It is one heavy son of a gun and never even groans no matter how fast you push it. 

https://www.amazon.com/CGOLDENWALL-Electric-Grinder-Commercial-Shredded/dp/B07DQR8V1G/ref=sr_1_145?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1542143717&sr=1-145&keywords=meat+grinder

with a throat to feed that much meat down to the auger at one time you're spending a lot. i've used little fractional HP cheaper ones a couple times and it plain sucked. I'm still using a Hobart from my dad's old general store. older than i am. it weighs enough i hate moving it despite it's still a countertop model but it'll suck down a whole front shoulder cut into backstrap thick strips within a minute. i've thought about getting a smaller one to leave at my house as the Hobart's at the farm/parent's house.  i looked at whatever Gander Moutain carried when they went out of business. i took it apart in the store and the fit for the blade and auger assemblies wasn't that great.

you don't need a large one I had a good one from northern industries my dad gave me and the bearings burnt out[ I make a lot of sausages] .It was like 5-6 lbs a minute but it was great for grinding but not for stuffing sausage the skin kept bursting it was just too fast to stuff with. I bought a crank tower sausage stuffer and it worked out better.cabelas has a good one for $80 and a little bigger one for $129. You can look @ lem and the sausage maker sites

You get what you pay for as the old saying goes. Before I got back into processing again I bought a number 22 big bite from lem. It was great for a few deer a season but knowing how a commercial grinder works compared to an off brand I could find many things to complain about. If it was me I'd look for an old hobart or biro brand grinder on ebay. Some of those smaller 22s are just as cheap and even though older the off brand ones can't hold a candle to the older commercial grinders. I have a number 32 hobart from the late 1960s and it's a beast and absolutely zero problems and I've processed 100s of lbs of meat through it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hitching post meats said:

You get what you pay for as the old saying goes. Before I got back into processing again I bought a number 22 big bite from lem. It was great for a few deer a season but knowing how a commercial grinder works compared to an off brand I could find many things to complain about. If it was me I'd look for an old hobart or biro brand grinder on ebay. Some of those smaller 22s are just as cheap and even though older the off brand ones can't hold a candle to the older commercial grinders. I have a number 32 hobart from the late 1960s and it's a beast and absolutely zero problems and I've processed 100s of lbs of meat through it.

Yeah, I still have an old Hobart Black Beauty grinder I bought when I started my processing business (early 90s). I've since retired from that endeavor, but I'd guess the grinder is about 50 years old. Rough estimate 16-17 tons of meat ground through while I've been owner, and still going strong. If I were in the market for a grinder, I'd try a Craigslist ad or restaurant/market supply shop first & see if you can find a used small commercial grinder in good shape before buying from LEM, Sausage Maker, or Cabelas. Just my $.02.

Cabela's has higher end ones with steel and not plastic components just check out reviews.. we have a cabela's brand it's works well

Good point- The model pictures by Mr has all steel grinding components which I was surprised about (pleasantly surprised)because of the low cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a $150 model from Gander my wife gave me for xmas. It says 4lbs /minute? It does ok, I partially freeze the chunks and it does fine. I've used Lawd's grinder and I'm sure it cost at least $100 more but it definitely works better. You do get what you pay for, if you can afford it go for the best you can. Hobart are great but for a couple deer a year you don't need to go that big.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2018 at 6:42 AM, Lawdwaz said:

I have the Cabela’s Carnivore 3/4hp.  Thinking this is the third year I’ve been using it.  It’s also a Beast at 40+ pounds; it stays in the basement and I bring the meat to IT. 

Old thread. might make a new one. i just bought that grinder. used gift cards, card points, 5% back for using card, 10% back for just being a club card member, plus they had free express shipping (no over weight or size upcharge either). hope it works well and lasts. it should.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Old thread. might make a new one. i just bought that grinder. used gift cards, card points, 5% back for using card, 10% back for just being a club card member, plus they had free express shipping (no over weight or size upcharge either). hope it works well and lasts. it should.

Post how you like it, curious.  I didn't pull the trigger on one yet.

On 11/14/2018 at 3:54 PM, JRod 8G8H said:

Cabela's has higher end ones with steel and not plastic components just check out reviews.. we have a cabela's brand it's works well

On 11/15/2018 at 6:29 AM, crappyice said:

Good point- The model pictures by Mr has all steel grinding components which I was surprised about (pleasantly surprised)because of the low cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my stx has been going strong for 5 years. all steel insides and the thing is a beast for under $200. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 5:44 PM, Elmo said:

Grinder or Grindr?  Be careful.  One simple letter makes all the difference.

still relevant talking "fist sized chunks of meat".  that said i gave my input. best of luck with the thread now. don't let me know how you make out.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:48 AM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Post how you like it, curious.  I didn't pull the trigger on one yet.

initial impressions were good. well thought out design. neck, auger, plates, and locking end wheel not as heavy and well built as a Hobart the same size. still seemed sufficient though without almost twice the weight (Hobart's a heavy SOB).  it being the time of year it is i'll pick up some beef on sale probably to run it and make sure it's all working before i really need it.