Sighting in a gun

Dom

How can someone sight in a Firearm for someone else?I know for a fact my eye sight is different than others that I will hunt with so how does one sight in a gun and then the next person can rely on the shot?I will not use other unless I can of put a bullet on paper/target.I just don't fell like this is a wise decision.I have never understood why?

If it is sighted with a scope, I would think it shouldn't make a difference. With open sights, it is a lot tougher...folks hold and sight very differently, many are in the bad habit of using the front bead as a dead center hold, obscuring a huge amount of the target, as opposed to using a true six oclock hold, which can give you a very fine line.

• Like 1

I did a lot of sight-ins for a gun shop and my job was to get it "on the paper" at fifty yards so the customer had a starting point for fine tuning. Nothing more than that. Bore-sight; shoot 3 shots at 50 yards; mark the target for the customer;  move on to the next gun.

As Moog said above, I trust my friends. If I needed to borrow a gun and some handloads for some reason I'd be completely confident that they've sighted in the weapon the same way I would have. Just tell me if it's 2 1/2" high at 100 and  dead on at 250. Or if it's dead on at 100 and 6" low at 250.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

There will be slight variances but a well sighted in gun should work for every shooter especially at ranges most ny hunters shoot.  I would not hesitate to use a gun sighted in by either of my hunting partners.  That said, I do sight in my own guns. 

All dialed in for you 

C648C817-DF2F-4039-AA20-65719ADBBC79.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I always felt if it is scoped, as long as one isnt applying extreme pressure or torque to the stock it should shoot the same or darn near the same for everyone. 

Unscoped guns would definitely be different since alot of people use open sights differently 

My question is, have you ever shoulder a scoped gun that is setup for someone else, and to you the crosshairs are not level and turned one way or the other? But for them they are perfectly level? It just seems wierd.. 

25 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

My question is, have you ever shoulder a scoped gun that is setup for someone else, and to you the crosshairs are not level and turned one way or the other? But for them they are perfectly level? It just seems wierd.. 

my gun is sighted for me and i cant my.gun . im left handed if a right hander picks it up the crosshairs will be way off..  i think of it as gun security ..  no one wants to borrow it ;) even better as a left handed bolt..

• Like 1