New Coyote Rig

I decided To put together a new coyote rig this year. I wanted Something small, fairly light, and some type of night vision optics. I stopped At Runnings the other day and saw a carbine length fixed mag AR. I did some quick research and ended up walking out the door with it. It’s a DSI with an M4 bolt, Magpul furniture front to back and chrome lined barrel with a brake. I then bought an ATN X-Sight HD with illuminatior and mounted it up when I got home tonight. It makes for a pretty compact, light rifle that should be perfect for how I plan to hunt with it. I have to go pick up a few boxes of hunting ammo, but I need to break it in first, which according to DSI, takes 500 rounds. Hopefully I will have it broken in and sighted in with a hunting round by the time deer season is done and it’s time to get after some yotes. 

One really cool option with this scope, I can Link it to my phone and stream video from it. Should make for some neat hunt videos. 

F4C0E3FB-ADE7-49D3-A7A9-6F4751EAC610.jpeg

306A4811-3792-499E-B5F7-DB0459085A91.jpeg

C902E79E-0CC5-4323-BB84-68DE2278338E.jpeg

• Like 27

Very nice-Good Luck with it!, I picked up an AR a couple of months ago because I needed a semi, all my other coyote guns were bolts. I use a 223 Rem bolt with a photon xt on it that I matched with a sniper hawg IR light, also scoped 223 wssm bolt for day time. My new AR is also scoped so I can use it day or night. For night I chose a ludicrous lumens scope mounted digital night vision camera and will also mount my sniper hawg IR light on it for illumination. The ludicrous lumens (from the UK) is a digital night vision camera that mounts to the eyepiece of any scoped gun (which is why I got it). It allows me to use my 10/22 for night pests around the house to my air gun for mice and such. With the correct IR illuminator you can see more than a few hundred yards with it - they hunt bunnies in the UK at 400+ yards using this. I also have a thermal night vision monocular (pulsar xq23v) for scanning and just ordered a new call (lucky duck revolt) to replace my 10+ year old wildlife technologies and foxpro fx3 calls. Hoping to put it all to use after deer season. Itching at the bit!

Good luck with your rig - get them fawn destroyers.

here is a video clip of the ludicrous lumens digital night vision cam in case your interested

• Like 2

18 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I wanted Something small, fairly light, and some type of night vision optics.

If you don't mind me asking what does it weigh in at. The ATN"S I have looked at are pretty hefty. Did it come with the IR light or did you have to add it?. Should be a good set up for sure.

12 hours ago, Steve D said:

If you don't mind me asking what does it weigh in at. The ATN"S I have looked at are pretty hefty. Did it come with the IR light or did you have to add it?. Should be a good set up for sure.

I havent weighed it. I wanted a light rifle because I knew the NV scope would be heavy. This setup should be an easy carry with a sling. Id say it doesnt weigh much more than my deer rifle.

I decided To put together a new coyote rig this year. I wanted Something small, fairly light, and some type of night vision optics. I stopped At Runnings the other day and saw a carbine length fixed mag AR. I did some quick research and ended up walking out the door with it. It’s a DSI with an M4 bolt, Magpul furniture front to back and chrome lined barrel with a brake. I then bought an ATN X-Sight HD with illuminatior and mounted it up when I got home tonight. It makes for a pretty compact, light rifle that should be perfect for how I plan to hunt with it. I have to go pick up a few boxes of hunting ammo, but I need to break it in first, which according to DSI, takes 500 rounds. Hopefully I will have it broken in and sighted in with a hunting round by the time deer season is done and it’s time to get after some yotes. 
One really cool option with this scope, I can Link it to my phone and stream video from it. Should make for some neat hunt videos. 
F4C0E3FB-ADE7-49D3-A7A9-6F4751EAC610.thumb.jpeg.af2eb555eb94d203569ab022f1335e2f.jpeg
306A4811-3792-499E-B5F7-DB0459085A91.thumb.jpeg.e9b387bfe20fa510499532c15d20bad1.jpeg
C902E79E-0CC5-4323-BB84-68DE2278338E.thumb.jpeg.2dd1a15c644a025c0e66d527968293aa.jpeg

Any chance you can post a link to the model scope you got and what you think about the night vision? I’m thinking of getting one myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Any chance you can post a link to the model scope you got and what you think about the night vision? I’m thinking of getting one myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-day-night-rifle-scope-3-14x

ive messed with it a little. It does pretty well in the dark from what I’ve seen so far. Haven’t had time to sight it in or anything. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 2:07 PM, XGX7PM said:

Could you record shooting a deer with that or is the laser within the rangefinder a no go?

20181214_140637.png

Laser rangefinders are fine, they are talking about a visible laser. You would probably have to remove the IR intensifier I have on it though, as it could be considered an artificial light. You only use it for hunting in the dark, so no big deal.

The scope is pretty heavy, I wouldnt want to put it on my deer rifle. On this light weight AR though, its no biggie, especially since the majority of its use will be off of the tripod.

I got my AR sighted in and ready to go this morning. I broke It in with 200 rounds of American Eagle 55gr FMJs and the last 40 I grouped  They actually didn’t do too bad. I then Cleaned it and ran 40 rounds of Hornady 55gr V-Max through it and the adjustment from the FMJ was minimal. It is too cold out to really try and dial it, I was Getting 10 round groups that would fit inside of a ping pong ball at 100 yards, so I figured That was good enough. 200 yards should be no problem inside of a tennis ball. 

Just have to clean it again and go back and get more V-Max for it and get after some critters. 

I do have ave to say that the ATN scope was super easy to sight in with and the picture on it isn’t too bad. I may End up selling it after this season and upgrading to one of their new 4K models so I have A crisp picture. Looking through it for a few mins does mess with your eyes a bit. 

• Like 3

very nice...good luck with getting it bloody. might want to consider replacing the kill light with a stronger infra-red light for greater scope range. Here is my rig on the tri-pod. ar15 with locked and pinned magazine (5 rounds) regular day scope  with the digital night vision camera attached at the eyepiece (ludicrous lumens vulpine) and the infra red light attached to top of scope (sniper hog lights). The gun is held to the tripod with a pig saddle, and the tripod is a carbon night stalker tripod. Went out yesterday at last hour of light with the lucky duck revolt caller but nada! good luck to ya.

ar.JPG

Edited by Engraver99
  • Like 2