One last pa buck with dad.

reeltime

Don't know how well this is going to go but. I will give it a try.

Life has been crazy busy since spring and although I've checked in I've not posted for a number of reasons.

Hunting season arrived way too fast and had to do a lot to make the time to prep camp for the PA youth hunt.

3 of the kids arrived wed. Afternoon and were all ready to hit the woods Thursday morning. The 4th youth was on her way with her dad and by the time they arrived at noon the other kids all had adult doe's hanging in my Kubota barn.

Abby had just turned 7 a few weeks prior and had been doing great on the target range. We set up a blind in mom and dads back yard and brushed it in good.

10 minutes before end of shooting time I heard her .223 savage bark and we were 4 for 4 with the kids.

My dad was having the time of his life with all the kids and listened intently as each one told him their story.

We had a great camp meal with everyone gathered around the table.

While the guys were here we moved one of our tractors up to the shop to see what was wrong with it. By the end of the weekend I had the tractor split and the motor on my engine stand as it was set up so tight it wouldn't turn over.

So first weekend of Nov we came back and brought judys son as dad wanted me to build a trolley system in the shop. Got that all done before he had to go back to my sun. Am.

Monday am it was pouring rain so I sat in the barn and passed a nice 9 at 7 yards...the rain bothered me more than anything as he met the spread rule.

Tuesday am was met again with rain and once again he came through the barnyard.

Tuesday evening it had quit raining and I passed a nice 2.5 chocolate rack 7 point.

When I got back judy said dad wasn't feeling right so I walkked downn to the house and knew immediately something was wrong.

We finally convinced him that we needed to go to the hospital.

My worst fears came true when I saw the film and saw he has developed a brain bleed.

By 4 am we had him in icu and resting comfortable. I got back to camp in time to shower and go climb in my pasture stand.

As I set there I had a million things going through my mind, most of which I knew I had to accept but certainly did not want to accept.

About 650 am I turned to look in the barnyard and here he comes. He crossed the road and entered the pasture on the other side of my island. A spike had walked under me as the bigger buck was walking parallel to the fence and just before he cleared the brushy island I eased to full draw and when he stepped out I uuurpped to stop him at 8 yards and he locked on the spike who turned and started walking towards him.

At the shot he just stood there for several seconds even though I watched the arrow go through him.

He finally bolted up the hill but I could see the red circle getting bigger. As he hit the top horse trail and turned south I saw him cartwheel over.

Tthe flood of emotions hit me like a freight train as I knew this would be the first pa buck in the last 38 years that I wouldn't go get dad to be there when we tracked it.

Ther last 7 days have been a real struggle. My dad never wanted any invasive care nor ever wanted to be a burden to anyone. He wanted to come home last week and we made that happen last Friday. I got to spend time with him and had a really good talk on Sunday afternoon. He got a huge smile when I told him the buck we saw last Sunday was hanging in the Kubota barn. He knew that buck was in trouble lol.

My dad passed peacefully yesterday morning. His final wishes were granted. I owe the world to him and his passing has left a hole in me that can not ever will be refilled. From starting out hunting to through ems up to being a paramedic acls certification.. He was a leader a mentor a supervisor but most of all not only my best hunting buddy but he was my dad.

God speed medic 25 we will take it from here, all I ask is keep a good tree stand location open for me when I join you. b4d619fb3457f4a58a7fb0deca869dc4.jpg104a14dfdf02af871902550fc56618f5.jpgd4d8893d66a790fa8f82322ed20d8669.jpg5baa3ec2f324f6890bf3fb9091b1edc1.jpgcb9880a427ec7cb08706cba7379e7427.jpg

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 18
  • Sad 5

Thank you so much for sharing.

My dad was my best hunting buddy and every year I get a little sad that he's not here to share in this with me. We are lucky enough that we did get to spend time doing the things we loved together so as long as that memory remains, they're still with us. Very sorry for your loss.

My sincere, and heartfelt condolences, to you and your family.

No doubt he loved his family as much as you all loved him. One can not ask for more, from a father.

He will always be with you all. May the countless precious memories you have of him, see you through these tough times.

RIP

So sorry for your loss. I know the feelings you are having. My father was my best friend  and we spent so much time together when I was growing up, learning to hunt and even worked together. This will be my 3rd season without him. We shared everyone since I was 8 and I am 53 now. Your Dad will forever be in your heart and memories and it will seem like that hurt will never heal. I am here to tell you it never totally will when they have been such a big part of who you are. It will get easier and you will find other ways to pass on what he gave to you, but it will never be gone. And I think that is a good thing. It's a testament to the bond you had with each other.