One last pa buck with dad.

reeltime

Sorry for your loss. No one can replace the bond that you had with your Dad. Been there, done that. It does get easier, but there will always be a void.

Hunting season is always the toughest. I only hunted with my Dad my whole life. The first opening day without him, I had to force myself to go out, because thats what he would have wanted. Pained me to walk by his empty stand and still does now 11 years later. All I can say is, you get through it...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Beautiful story and a testament to a life well lived and loved. In 2011 I lost my father at 85 years old on December 5. He hunted the northern zone with us, and the opener of southern zone. That year my nephew decided to share his box blind with my father as he wanted to enjoy the morning sitting with him. I sat in mine across the road. Before we split up my dad told me to hunt for "you" for once and put one on the ground as I am usually more concerned with him and my nephew getting a shot. I saw 23 deer that morning, and killed a big 6 with no brows. He kept calling me on the 2 way radios laughing at how they saw nothing and I had all the deer on my side. The next day dad sat it out and my nephew connected on a respectable 8 pt.  The next day he wasn't feeling well and we took him to the clinic for a basic checkup. He was hospitalized with kidney issues. He died peacefully on the 5th.  I will never forget that season nor will my nephew ever forget sitting with him on his last opening day. I thought I would never hunt again but it was those moments that kept me going for life. God bless you and your family.

Beautiful story (and pics) and a wonderful tribute to your dad.  You have to know he was very proud of you and all of your family.  I read your story in a sort of in-between state - my father, who taught me to shoot gun and bow many years ago, just turned 81 and his health is failing; at the same time, my son, who is 14 (and worships his grampa), hunts with me and just took his first deer youth weekend.  If we are lucky, we have these experiences and bonds to carry us forward.  Please accept my condolences, and thank you for sharing your story.  

Reeltime,

Your dad sounds like a heck of a guy.  As good as the hunting was that you all had down here, it will be even better up there where he is now.  I missed your lake Ontario fishing reports this summer and fall.  I did not get up there much myself, due to some big projects at home.  I never had much luck with those red tractors either and got rid of my last one this summer.   The green, blue and orange ones have done much better by me.   Congrats on the PA buck.   It was great that your dad was able to see that and take part in the excitement of those kid's hunts this year.   Prayers sent for him and your family.