any one else excited about snow opening day of firearms as I

rob-c

Probably in the minority but not really. I know the deer have been making their way through our property on a consistent basis. Worried the snow could change up the pattern just in time for Saturday. In last 20 years or so, have only had snow on ground opening day once. Don't remember what we saw but I know we didn't take one. I can say that late season if snow on ground, deer on our property are few and far between.  

Edited by MPHunter

For sure.  I have already altered my opening weekend plans at home to hunt the brassicas and corn a bit more.  Snow always makes them hit those hard.   The dusting that we had here last night was great for sledding the crossbow-kill carcass that I butchered back to the "coyote" pile.   I am really hoping for some up in the Adirondacks when I head up there over Thanksgiving.  I have killed bucks up there every time we have had it then.   That also means that it is going to need to be a big wide six or better for me to punch my buck tag at home in the Southern zone on opening weekend.   I don't like the idea of heading up there in the snow with just a bear tag because that will make them hibrenate early.

Pretty pumped as i have 3 bedding areas in sight and can see a couple hundred yards in every direction from a stand i put on my cousin's ridge.. Had deer out of xbow range there last weekend including a nice 2.5 year old 8 pointer. Also excited my rifle is finally sighted in.. Good luck all

Edited by JRod 8G8H
Typo

It’ll make it easier to see them coming ,especially for my daughter , and I guess tracking if someone makes a less then stellar shot .

Other then that , I’d take 50 and sunny ,

Tracking ? Well over 1/4 mile the deer would be off my spot .

• Like 4

ugh.. hate it..guys take far shots..blood drops through the snow and idiots think they missed.. find lots of dead lost deer when there is snow.

cant hear them.coming and it it warms up and refreezes its so crunchy they can hear you coming from next county. 

and its freaking cold.. uncomfortable to sit in if its not frozen under snow your boots get muddy and or wet and freeze to the stand and make noise when you move. if it hangs on the limbs you cant see and your open lanes are no longer open... drat ...id rather not have it

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not me...As a rule I hate deer season. If I could fill a tag during bow I probably wouldn't even bother. No joy for me at all and besides with this years weather I feel like I have already had gun season. Not looking forward to another three weeks of it  it except for the fact I will be able to shoot farther IF  I should happen to see one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I hate snow. Its bittersweet,  I made good money with it, but dislike dealing with it.

Same here but without the money. Lol

If it snows I have to go into work on weekdays and cancel vacation. This week canceled three days off cause of it.  But am off tomorrow.  Because of work I hate snow.  The winter is pretty tough on me. 

The place I gun hunt I like it cause it knocks down the neck high grass, but don't care to sit in the real cold that much.  

• Like 1

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

Same here but without the money. Lol

If it snows I have to go into work on weekdays and cancel vacation. This week canceled three days off cause of it.  But am off tomorrow.  Because of work I hate snow.  The winter is pretty tough on me. 

The place I gun hunt I like it cause it knocks down the neck high grass, but don't care to sit in the real cold that much.  

We are pretty much in the same boat.  I remember your posts last winter.  I plow roads and the government center where I work, so we can do be at work 30+ hours so I understand.  I am waiting to see what happens tomorrow,  first plowable event down here for us tomorrow,  hoping we just get kept on, instead of the BS of calling us back in 4 hrs.

2 minutes ago, Bionic said:

We are pretty much in the same boat.  I remember your posts last winter.  I plow roads and the government center where I work, so we can do be at work 30+ hours so I understand.  I am waiting to see what happens tomorrow,  first plowable event down here for us tomorrow,  hoping we just get kept on, instead of the BS of calling us back in 4 hrs.

I used to work for nys DOT years ago and spent lots of time in those plows. I feel your pain.  

Now I manage a transportation Dept . And the worst part is being in the office while drivers are out on bad roads with passengers .  I pace.....

Good luck with the snow . And dodging the idiots on the road all day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I used to work for nys DOT years ago and spent lots of time in those plows. I feel your pain.  

Now I manage a transportation Dept . And the worst part is being in the office while drivers are out on bad roads with passengers .  I pace.....

Good luck with the snow . And dodging the idiots on the road all day.

You're a good man, it is nice to hear you worry, and value your coworkers you guide.  Thank you, and safe travels for your coworkers

• Like 1