any one else excited about snow opening day of firearms as I

rob-c

4 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

Not too long ago, think 2 years ago we got dumped with almost 2 feet of snow over the course of opening day and couple days after. That was ruff walking, but was nice to hunt in. Looking fwd to some white stuff,  great to see tracks and deer stand out more.

I was just thinking this. That went down as the worst opening day ever for me . I believe i dint see a breathing critter that day. I guess they all can’t be great. It’s more about sitting around with the guys a camp and laughing till you piss yourself...

• Like 2

ugh.. hate it..guys take far shots..blood drops through the snow and idiots think they missed.. find lots of dead lost deer when there is snow.
cant hear them.coming and it it warms up and refreezes its so crunchy they can hear you coming from next county. 
and its freaking cold.. uncomfortable to sit in if its not frozen under snow your boots get muddy and or wet and freeze to the stand and make noise when you move. if it hangs on the limbs you cant see and your open lanes are no longer open... drat ...id rather not have it

Aside from that you have no opinion on the matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

Not too long ago, think 2 years ago we got dumped with almost 2 feet of snow over the course of opening day and couple days after.

I kind of got stranded. Running low on fuel for heat, I spent about 16 hours trying to get down from the "house" to the road. 

That's my fear now. My blind  that I waste opening weekend in will be flattened under the snow. And will I be able to get anywhere near the house. If I can, will I be able to get back?   Not happy at all about the snow. I like a no snow for a while, then a dusting of snow towards the second weekend. 

It reminds me of a buck several years ago that I got while walking down the driveway to get the mail. I always take the gun ...just in case. It's a 1000' driveway through a dense swampy thicket and super cover for deer. It was the first snow of the year, and probably as he had done many times previously, this buck was all hunkered down about 30 yards away in a tangle of grape vine and other crap willing to sit tight and let me walk right on by. I'm sure he was convinced that the trick would work as it had so many times before. What he didn't take into consideration was how well he stood out silhouetted against the new fresh snow. He stood out perfectly against the white background. It was a short drag to the car because he never even moved when I shot.

So I like the snow. I think there are a lot of deer that have gotten used to sitting tight and letting us just walk right on by that are now quite visible.

5 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Aside from that you have no opinion on the matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nope since my opinion cant move it ill go out and hunt.  i just find it funny people love it so much when you hunt thick stuff you cant see far or well you depend on your ears more than your eyes ..snow removes that sense. for visual hunters that dont use their ears they dont know the difference only stating they can see better...with our narrow binocular vision you can miss a lot even with snow..but sound is 360...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cory said:

I was just thinking this. That went down as the worst opening day ever for me . I believe i dint see a breathing critter that day. I guess they all can’t be great. It’s more about sitting around with the guys a camp and laughing till you piss yourself...

5 hours ago, cas said:
  12 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

Not too long ago, think 2 years ago we got dumped with almost 2 feet of snow over the course of opening day and couple days after.

was the best hunting the next year though so many hunters were stuck at home from day after opener till after thanksgiving  many many bucks survived and got bigger :)

• Like 1

Not looking forward to it at all! The first 5 days I have to share a property I manage and take absolute care for in respect to the Landowner. This group of guys/girls come from PA  and trash the place, walk all over it, drive deer and shoot anything that moves, good shot opportunity or not. Wounding and missing more than they harvest, on top of that they lie about everything. But they randomnly show up the night before at the Land owners house whom is quite old, and stay there for 5 days. I leave this situation alone to not ruin my permissions, since im sure he enjoys the company being all alone in his home. But They've even stolen some of my cameras before. 

And as luck would have it, My #1 and #2 bucks have been active and pattern able this rut more than ever before. For several years now I dread opening weekend/week because of these people. 

Its a touchy subject. lol 

At this point i am looking forward to the first few hours Saturday, and late season ..

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

was the best hunting the next year though so many hunters were stuck at home from day after opener till after thanksgiving  many many bucks survived and got bigger :)

I’ve often said the weather on opening day of gun has a bigger effect on hunting, then ARs, food plots ,crossbows and all the other stuff we argue about .

• Like 3

15 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

Not too long ago, think 2 years ago we got dumped with almost 2 feet of snow over the course of opening day and couple days after. That was ruff walking, but was nice to hunt in. Looking fwd to some white stuff,  great to see tracks and deer stand out more.

much much longer ago we got a ton of snow out this way. i remember the only way to get around was to drive snowmobiles. was probably 17 or so years ago.

6 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

much much longer ago we got a ton of snow out this way. i remember the only way to get around was to drive snowmobiles. was probably 17 or so years ago.

In CNY, Otsego and Deleware counties where i hunt its not uncommon to get snow in the bow and gun seasons. But l i remember some recent snowfalls that were horrendous.  That snow storm 2 years ago was crazy, walking up my mountain in 18"- 24" of snow was not fun but we still managed to kill deer. 

• Like 1

pressure is taking a dive and the rest of the conditions i've taken tomorrow off. i'll recheck a couple guns but bow hunt in the morning or throughout the day depending on how much snow hits and when.  the orange army that is my extended family will fumble onto the mountain and i'll sit in a natural funnel between the two major portions of timber and adjacent to the swamp sanctuary. i'll probably see every buck around at some point this weekend. all previous patterns are history when opening day hits. i hunt the doe based on where the hunters are unknowingly driving them to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

nope since my opinion cant move it ill go out and hunt.  i just find it funny people love it so much when you hunt thick stuff you cant see far or well you depend on your ears more than your eyes ..snow removes that sense. for visual hunters that dont use their ears they dont know the difference only stating they can see better...with our narrow binocular vision you can miss a lot even with snow..but sound is 360...

I agree, I posted in the weather thread that im just hoping I can use my ears this weekend

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

In CNY, Otsego and Deleware counties where i hunt its not uncommon to get snow in the bow and gun seasons. But l i remember some recent snowfalls that were horrendous.  That snow storm 2 years ago was crazy, walking up my mountain in 18"- 24" of snow was not fun but we still managed to kill deer. 

a couple years ago snow was hitting hard Sunday morning of opening weekend. got up the mountain early with the truck and our access roads. roads sucked still. nobody out. my younger inexperienced cousin put his truck in a ditch right ahead of me. we made it in but then had to cut our way out moving downed trees.  aggressive tires, tire chains, and the button that turns of traction/stability control was all needed just to get back down. lol  i saw and filmed quit a few quite a few good up and coming bucks heading from one patch of thermal cover to the next looking for doe.

30 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I’ve often said the weather on opening day of gun has a bigger effect on hunting, then ARs, food plots ,crossbows and all the other stuff we argue about .

I was saying that very thing to my wife this morning. A horrible opening weekend leads to three years of great hunting

• Like 1

Hope my hub blinds make it, without collapsing!  Upped the forecasted total again this morning, to near a foot. Walking in will be much more difficult. 

Had plans to hunt from one of the hub blinds opening morning. It's in a narrow strip of hemlocks, surrounded by thick, tall swamp grass and brush, on three sides. Found this spot during the later part of bow season. After adjusting to changing bedding patterns, due to high water levels.

May have to continue on up the hill, to the stand my hunting partner built for me. Great stand and spot!!! But not as good as the lower spot, from what I've been seeing up to now. As the deer here hunker down in the lower thick nasties, after a heavy snowfall. And travel cross that strip of hemlocks. Lower surrounding swamp is filled with deep water.

Will pull the hub blinds out after next week. Then hunt mostly from our natural brush blinds, scattered throughout the property.. Or set up on any fresh sign we find.

Part of the fun of hunting for me, is the challenge of adjusting to whatever the weather, deer patterns, surrounding hunter pressure, throws at me.

Sometimes the deer win. Sometimes I win. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phillifan22 said:

I would be excited but I’m starting to get a bit nervous about the snow being very compact and wet Friday afternoon as temps go above freezing, before dropping near or just below freezing Saturday morning. So wet and maybe crunchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IS it going to be wet heavy snowfall, or light and fluffy stuff before rising temps?