Venison bone soup

Al Bundy

At one time they were allways kept for boiling for stock, no one was going to throw away all that nutrition. Nowadays....I think they make poor stock, the tallow does not impair a good taste, most recipes recommend using beef stock instead. 

Sorry but I disagree. I made venison stock last year for the first time and use it in (ok have Mrs Crappy use it!) the venison Shepard’s pie or the venison Guinness stew. The Mrs makes Shepard’s pie often and she definitely enjoys and noticed the difference when venison stock is used.
I have 10 cups in the freezer now with 4 more bones in the freezer to do at a later time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Peggy Bundy will be boiling out some bones and making soup this winter sometime.  She been itching to do this for a while now.  I hope its a good flavor. Thinking of using it as a stock for mushroom soup instead of store bought chicken stock.  If its good stock, I may need to bribe the butcher to set some bones aside for me next year. I removed most of the meat off the bones, but that is how she wanted it. We shall see.

Peggy Bundy will be boiling out some bones and making soup this winter sometime.  She been itching to do this for a while now.  I hope its a good flavor. Thinking of using it as a stock for mushroom soup instead of store bought chicken stock.  If its good stock, I may need to bribe the butcher to set some bones aside for me next year. I removed most of the meat off the bones, but that is how she wanted it. We shall see.

Oil, salt and paper and then Roast them first.,.

Huh, that recipe for stock does sound good. Guess I need to try it again.

I have never used it as the “main juice” in a soup but it does add a richness to stews and such. I wonder if it would be to “waxy” (best way I can describe what deer fat imparts on food/mouth) for the main liquid of a soup?

IM going to know this winter. My hunting buddy dropped an 8 yesterday morning. I know what you mean about "waxy" taste. I tried some ribs one year and they were "waxy" tasting. I have all the fat removed, or 99% off the bones I Have. Hoping the fat taste is not going to be very strong.