Who uses snow camo when there is snow on the ground

Hunter007

Bought a Cabelas snow camo jacket two years ago on a 60% discount. Wore it for the first time last year, and it seemed to confuse deer. I was able to shoot a nice 9 point from the ground while I was wearing it, but I can't be sure how much the snow camo was a factor. 

• Like 1

I wear white coveralls and a white hoodie under that in the snow.  I'm talking all white, not camo white.  Still hunting and stalking deer while wearing it.  I've had deer look my way when I moved, then disregard my presence after looking my way for a minute.  I've easily gotten within 50 yards of many deer wearing it.  I believe they cannot see me at all while wearing it in the snow.  If a coyote can't see a hunter in white, deer surely can't.

Got some snow camo three years ago. I love it!!! First year, had a mature buck come down to check a doe that was only 15 yards from me, while on the ground. Easy shot on that buck, made me a believer!  Neither deer ever knew I was there on a ridgeline bench.

During gun season, I do wear a breakup camo blaze orange vest over it. As our property borders state land.

My wife gave me the snow camo as a Christmas gift the year before. She couldn't think of what else to get, as I have every other kind of camo. So my hunting partner tipped her off on the snow camo. As we both hunt mostly from the ground.

I've used it and like it. Will have it on, come Saturday morning!

Also great for winter coyote hunting!!!

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2

Fox hunting, at pretty healthy distances, is the only time I've used white camo. You can disappear as a snow drift at 300 yards. Pretty cool.  I suppose it could be used for deer but I've never tried it. With deer I tend to get very up-close and personal. If there aren't powder burns on the fur I haven't gotten close enough. ;-)

I use Predator Fall Gray once the leaves come off of the trees and its cold. I use it whether theres snow or not. Remember, for deer, all you are trying to do is avoid blue colors and break up your outline.

Now, for coyote hunting, I have snow camo. They can see thing much more clearly than a deer can, so you need to blend in as much as possible.

I use snow camo mostly because I'm a gear junky. I'd recommend any budget conscious person to just buy one of those cheap covers that go over your good cold gear. It doesn't protect at all, but will change your appearance.

because i'm a gear junky though, I bought this over the spring and I'm excited to try it out. I have the gloves, bibs and jacket.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939114567/midwayusa-mens-hunters-creek-parka

edit to say that i do think there is a benefit to tresstand hunters too. The white colors help your silhouette with the sky.

Edited by Belo

My snow camo is WAAAAY too noisy for hunting.

Sounds like I'm wearing a paper bag whenever I so much as raise my hand.

If there's snow on the ground, I'll definitely pull it out for the field photos just because I think it looks cool! Doesn't make any difference to me whether I killed while wearing it or not.

snowcamo.jpg.525ff86491c0b7439afcfc45f9df992a.jpg

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

I have Predator Fall Gray fleece that breaks up outlines. Ground hunting a few times I was surprised at the deer's reactions (lack of). Recently invested in Sitka and that has the same impact. I think it's really going to be good on the ground in snow. Not liking it too much for ground hunting in early October though, lol.

1 hour ago, wooly said:

If there's snow on the ground, I'll definitely pull it out for the field photos just because I think it looks cool! Doesn't make any difference to me whether I killed while wearing it or not.

I know the stuff you're wearing there. It is very noisy indeed and that's why I never bought it. Seemed cheap and maybe not very protective/insulating too. I have some old walls that were cotton. Great warmth and noise, but horrible with even a drop of moisture. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

I know the stuff you're wearing there. It is very noisy indeed and that's why I never bought it. Seemed cheap and maybe not very protective/insulating too. I have some old walls that were cotton. Great warmth and noise, but horrible with even a drop of moisture. 

Oh there's no insulation whatsoever in this stuff.

What you see on the outside is all you get on the inside. Basically a plastic garbage bag with arms and legs,lol.

I will admit it does make a pretty good wind breaker on my winter hikes when I don't care about noise.

the problem here is throughout the season we'll get snow in the morning then by midday it's melting off on certain slopes. i've gotten snow camo heavy duty cotton coverups from cabelas. jacket and pants that are bigger to wear over your normal outer layers. it works very well. i've sat in the middle of snow covered 30 acre field with the sun at my back overlooking a swamp. had deer walk right up to and past me with close bow range. never knew i was there until they looked back. also have snow camo McNett wrap for gear.

5 hours ago, wooly said:

Man that doe is a horse!! The tag looks like a full piece of letter head!!!! 

• Like 1

Been wearing snow camo when snow is on the trees and ground since the early 80's. Killed a lot of deer when wearing it. Best time is early, first one or two...three snows. Deer have a difficult time picking you up when you move, like when you pick your bow off a hook, draw, or have to move your gun. Big advantage for the hunter. Mine is soft...I got my first set from "The Camo Clan"...no noise. I also have suits from Cabelas and Predator. They are all good...better than looking like a blob against the snow.