New to NYS and New to Hunting

MalibuBeth

Hey everyone,

I recently relocated to NYS from sunny Miami, FL!  I love the outdoors, and my husband and I used to fish a lot being where we were from.  We both passed the certification course this past fall and are looking for some hunting buddies for guidance.  We really want to assist in some hunts before we start going out on our own.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for some resources I can check out throughout the year, I sure would appreciate it!

• Like 1

Beth, Where are you guys located in the state? Check out the Greater Rochester QDMA sub forum in the Field to Fork Program. We are already into it this year but other branches will be doing the same thing.  Your area will make a big difference with what organizations and forum members are around. 

PS. Prepare yourself for the "what were you guys thinking moving up here" comments...lol Welcome

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MalibuBeth said:

Thanks for your replies guys!  We are in the Southern Tier area in Corning/Horseheads/Elmira.

My wife and i live in Campbell just west of Corning,  My wife is a hunter also. Shoot me a pm if your interested in chatting. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

Hey everyone,
I recently relocated to NYS from sunny Miami, FL!  I love the outdoors, and my husband and I used to fish a lot being where we were from.  We both passed the certification course this past fall and are looking for some hunting buddies for guidance.  We really want to assist in some hunts before we start going out on our own.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for some resources I can check out throughout the year, I sure would appreciate it!

Hey Beth. Welcome! I used to party a lot in South Beach back in the day (LIV, Mansion, Mint, Nikki Beach, Story, and of course Space). Maybe we’ve partied together?

I caught some peacock bass in canals near miami airport once on a bass boat. It was pretty cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Hey Beth. Welcome! I used to party a lot in South Beach back in the day (LIV, Mansion, Mint, Nikki Beach, Story, and of course Space). Maybe we’ve partied together?

I caught some peacock bass in canals near miami airport once on a bass boat. It was pretty cool!

People at work are shocked I hunt. You make me look like a redneck. Thank you.

Lots of good hunting down in Corning/HH area. Pretty country. Looks like quite a few people can help you out!

• Like 1

My neck of the woods also. Welcome!  If you or hubby works for Corning Inc Arnot Guthrie a school or maybe the gas industry.. no matter which, you can count on meeting people at work who are deer hunters. Good sources of info... BUT having just started deer hunting recently myself... I will say the hardest part BY FAR is finding someplace decent to hunt. There are tons of state forests around but come gun season they will be overrun with people and the deer will flee (if they survive opening day). If you can get yourself invited to hunt someone's private farm/woodlot/whatever, it will improve the odds and the quality of the experience greatly.  But don't expect just because someone has land that they will invite you to hunt it. People can be pretty particular about if they allow it and who they allow and. many just don't apart from family. I have lifelong friends... like since 2nd grade... who won't let me hunt their 100+ acres..

One other comment... get a bow. Opens up so many more possibilities, and is such an adrenaline rush when the deer is 10 yards away..

• Like 1

People at work are shocked I hunt. You make me look like a redneck. Thank you.
Lots of good hunting down in Corning/HH area. Pretty country. Looks like quite a few people can help you out!

People I work with don’t even know hunting still exists.

Paula AND cynthiaFU may not like this...or maybe just maybe they will be relieved!
Welcome aboard...eat what Bionic recommends(caution-it’s a lot of green!) and drink what Turkeyfeather tells you to drink(beer especially)

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Possibly... I'm not much of a club girl.  More of a beach then bar in my bathing suit type.  If you've ever been to a rugby game down there the chances we've partied increase greatly. ;)

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2018 at 12:59 PM, MalibuBeth said:

Thanks for your replies guys!  We are in the Southern Tier area in Corning/Horseheads/Elmira.

Welcome. My wife and I just left Florida after living there since 1976!!! We also just left for home (north Georgia mountains) as I developed some health issues that need attending to. Had to forgo rifle season (with a doe tag no less). I would have gladly invited you up to our place in 8T, and shown you around. Perhaps next year if I'm not worm food? PM if you want to talk. I was born in Corning, and have hunted the area for 52 years! BTW, steer clear of Pygmy. He's an animal! LOL

• Like 1