Question about breech plug bore

BowmanMike

So,is the bore generally tapered in the breech plug? Mine seems to be that way in my wolf in line muzzleloader. Just cleaned it really good,and i never noticed that. I guess it is supposed to accelerate the primer charge?

I just switched to blackhorn powder,and i think i like it already. Look out deer!!

I doubt i will do as well as last year,i got a buck and a doe by 7.15. One or the other would be fine thank you.:umnik:

You typically have to switch to a breech plug designed to ignite the BH faster. On my Apex ,they achieved it by counter boring the end that the powder touches thus reducing the length of the flame channel drastically. I've also read where guys were using the stock breech plug with no side effects.

10 hours ago, sbuff said:

CVS sells a plug to ignite bh209. How are you determining if it's tapered?

i looked through it from the powder end. Also it is bigger diameter at the primer side. Maybe it is not tapered,but the bore is bigger on the primer side,and then maybe it is just smaller at the powder end and no taper,just a smaller hole.

I did get a delayed fire when practicing,maybe a little over 1/2 a second. I didn't have that problem with the white hot pellets.

Maybe i should drill the powder end out to match the rest of the breech plug bore.

Edited by BowmanMike
add stuff

4 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

i looked through it from the powder end. Also it is bigger diameter at the primer side. Maybe it is not tapered,but the bore is bigger on the primer side,and then maybe it is just smaller at the powder end and no taper,just a smaller hole.

I did get a delayed fire when practicing,maybe a little over 1/2 a second. I didn't have that problem with the white hot pellets.

Maybe i should drill the powder end out to match the rest of the breech plug bore.

Should be zero delay with BH,  I won't be home til Sunday but I could get some measurements off my BH breech plug for you. FYI the counter bore on mine is not the same size as the barrel diameter.

• Thanks 1