Snow in 4f

NYBowhunter

18 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

view from my back deck

20181116_091612.jpg

Nice, thanks. And knowing the higher elevations in harpersfield where im from, im sure theres more snow and its bitter cold. Only good thing is that the deer stand out in the snow, but i think they know that too and will be sticking to the pines and thick cover. Good luck all.

9 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Nice, thanks. And knowing the higher elevations in harpersfield where im from, im sure theres more snow and its bitter cold. Only good thing is that the deer stand out in the snow, but i think they know that too and will be sticking to the pines and thick cover. Good luck all.

I'm at 2,050 feet elevation...always get snow and more snow than the lowlanders so I wouldn't expect you'd get a whole lot more

• 9 months later...
8 hours ago, Chef said:

So I know this is a old post but I’m in the beginning stages for looking at land in 4f or 6s any advice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have land in Deleware and Otsego counties, 5 minute car ride apart but in two different counties, both part of 4f. There are still a few big farms around, which produce alot of corn and keep the herd healthy, can still find lots of properties that contain old apple orchards, streams, mountains to rolling fields. The mature deer both doe and buck tend to have huge bodiies. There are decent big bucks to be had and population has for the most been pretty abundant.  If your into Turkey hunting, some of the best populations/opportunities in the state. And the mountains, fields etc...are beautiful,. My family has been hunting  in various parts of 4f for close to 60 years, but mainly in Deleware and Otsego counties and its been great to us. Just  a short 20-30 minutes car ride away from us is Oneonta, which offers shopping comparable to any big city, Walmart, Dicks, BJs, TSC, ,home depot,  Lowes, Harbor frieght etc... you can go from very rural, farms etc...to the best shopping in under 30 minutes depending where in 4f. Howes Caverns and Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame are within a 30-40 min. car ride.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
this... I live in 4f and know the area pretty well. What are you looking for?

Wow just found this it’s been a while, I think I want to actually permanently move to either Oneonta or Cooperstown.

Just have to wait a few years

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chef said:

Wow just found this it’s been a while, I think I want to actually permanently move to either Oneonta or Cooperstown.

Just have to wait a few years

Haha,old post for sure. Do you have kids that will be attending high school? 

If you dont care about the school district i would look in a half.hour circle around Cooperstown,land is a lot cheaper outside of the Cooperstown school district. Maybe towards schenevus or worcester area,that would put you closer to I-88 if you still have to travel downstate for work. Plus schenevus creek is awesome for fishing and that area is very pretty too in my opinion. Some stateland in that direction too,but it is spread nicely through 4F.

East Meredith is a pretty area too and would put you close to Rt. 28.

There are lots of options and some good land to be had.

Start looking now so you will know a good deal when you find it.

Haha,old post for sure. Do you have kids that will be attending high school? 
If you dont care about the school district i would look in a half.hour circle around Cooperstown,land is a lot cheaper outside of the Cooperstown school district. Maybe towards schenevus or worcester area,that would put you closer to I-88 if you still have to travel downstate for work. Plus schenevus creek is awesome for fishing and that area is very pretty too in my opinion. Some stateland in that direction too,but it is spread nicely through 4F.
East Meredith is a pretty area too and would put you close to Rt. 28.
There are lots of options and some good land to be had.
Start looking now so you will know a good deal when you find it.

I’ve started looking online already. I do have a 3 year old son who will be attending school so from what I can tell Cooperstown and Oneonta are the two best districts in the area? That part is very important to me and I won’t compromise on him going to a decent school.

Milford,rigjt between Oneonta and Cooperstown has a good reputation as well. Those are the top three school districts i think. I don't have kids so no first hand experience,but i know some teachers and of course people with kids.

Good luck with the house hunt @Chef

Edited by BowmanMike

Milford,rigjt between Oneonta and Cooperstown has a good reputation as well. Those are the top three school districts i think. I don't have kids so no first hand experience,but i know some teachers and of course people with kids.
Good luck with the house hunt [mention=762]Chef[/mention]

Thanks man! Can’t wait to get out that way

• Like 1

I am right in Oneonta with two kids that graduated in the last 3 years. Like most schools nowadays, they come out plenty book smart, but it is up to you as a parent to teach them about the real world, responsibility, work ethic, etc. That is just the way it seems to be anymore. No complaints about the teachers, administration, or communication, which made it very nice.

Very under rated for deer hunting, as most years I have a few bucks to chase after during bow season that are 3 and up. Wish i could say my success rate was just as good, but it is usually about every 2 or 3 years on a big buck. Definitely no problem getting does for the freezer. And, if you are content with basket rack 8 points, you can get one every year if you have the time to put in.

• Like 1

I am right in Oneonta with two kids that graduated in the last 3 years. Like most schools nowadays, they come out plenty book smart, but it is up to you as a parent to teach them about the real world, responsibility, work ethic, etc. That is just the way it seems to be anymore. No complaints about the teachers, administration, or communication, which made it very nice.
Very under rated for deer hunting, as most years I have a few bucks to chase after during bow season that are 3 and up. Wish i could say my success rate was just as good, but it is usually about every 2 or 3 years on a big buck. Definitely no problem getting does for the freezer. And, if you are content with basket rack 8 points, you can get one every year if you have the time to put in.

That’s great to hear, I’ve been thinking about this long and hard, I may even try to buy a working farm and lease most of the land to a farmer. I’ve been on Zillow a lot and seems like I could do pretty well up there within my budget and have home and hunting camp be the same place

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Two year bump and many years since the OP.... but back on topic!

Trying to get back up after Christmas and wondering how much snow is on the ground? (I know this is a tough question and it depends on where. "Up on the hill" at the cabin is we can have several inches of snow, then a few miles down the road (and elevation), nothing)