2018 HuntingNY Gun Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

Another fun hunt with my brother. A nice close shot she came in at 35 yards and we weren't even in the blind for 10 minutes!!!

My shot was perfect and she ran 75-100 yards where we found her dead right where he said she would be! Another great hunting memory for the books!!!:drinks:

999733124_homerdoe.thumb.jpg.b422b4a16bdcd666ed551503500c034b.jpg

664891342_Homerdoe2.jpg.8df7cbe6cfacff206158213f9980a99c.jpg

• Like 41

So this morning I decided I was going to sit in "my" stand since i haven't been seeing much of anything since gun started. For the first time this year we had some corn and beans on the opposite side of the lease so i had concentrated most of my time closer to the food. This was leading to tons of deer being seen during bow but as soon as rifle started the deer I was seeing dwindle to almost nothing.  So about 8:30 I am once again seeing nothing and I am thinking about how much i miss bow. Out of nowhere I catch movement in the ravine and see a deer then quickly realize there are two. The 2nd deer is a buck and as I find him in the scope I am trying to determine if he is a shooter. ( self imposed 6 or better lease rules) I see he has 2 on each side and catch a brow tine also and decide I am taking the shot when I can. He moves to a spot where i have a nice slightly 1/4 away and squeeze the trigger. He doesn't flinch so i shoot again with my autoloader and down he goes. Was pleased to see he was a small 8 when i got to him. My 3rd biggest deer...all from the same stand. Super happy to have him.

20181125_085544.jpg

20181125_125545.jpg

20181125_125539.jpg

20181125_085609.jpg

20181125_091818.jpg

• Like 36

Opening day of gun,  3:30 in the afternoon I am in a two-man stand and see a deer off to my left coming up from behind me.  I got the scope on it and it looks like a doe... maybe 90 yards or so.  It works its way in and now it is about 75 yards out and just to my left.  Lined up on her and took the shot.  Tracked it for about 70 yards before I saw and big blood... just a drop or two here and there. As I followed the tracks along, the bloodbath started unfolding and there it lay.  I express my disappointment when I discover it is a spike with the left side missing and the right side horn was 4 inches long.  Bye-Bye regular season buck tag.   Good for the freezer though!

unihorn.jpg

• Like 33

Left work ind afternoon and snuck out today. Had limited time in the woods with work. Had a spike come through and stick around for a bit around 3. As he was working out of sight this guy showed up. No my biggest (keep in perspective that I’m like the size of a grizzly..6’5” and 350 so I do make him look smaller). Great afternoon and good eating to come. Man I love this. 98C407DF-5483-460A-88D8-0563BDBBB877.thumb.jpeg.2e5805dbe045a8bb39000aebd2c5d574.jpeg

• Like 41

Been trying to get caught up at work all week long so far as I was off all last week... So this is my bear from late last week.  

I was out near Ellicottville about a mile back in on state land and I see a black "thing" maybe 130 yds off.  Looking at it through the scope, it moved and I could see the head and ears.  I watched it for quite a while, trying to decide if I wanted it as I knew it was not going to be easy getting this thing out from the creek bed area.  The bear stood up and looked around and it spotted me, dropped back on all fours and started over towards me.  Absolutely certain it saw me, I decided if it comes in reasonably close that I would take it.  Well, at 80 yds I got a perfect shot off.  

I found a taxidermist near me (Your Trophy in Alden) and we skinned it out last night.  The shot was quartering toward and entered just inside the right shoulder into the chest and out the opposite side at the rear of the rib cage.  Double lung shot.  I selected this half mount pictured below.

bear1.jpg

bearhalfmount.jpg

• Like 37

First archery season for me this year. Passed on 11 dink bucks , tumor buck , busted drawing on a nice doe.  Fawns , decent does too far off. Shooter bucks too far off. Gun season starts and same. Not sure how many hours in a stand but it’s a lot.  Started to get burnt out , deflated, calling it quits  and was very close to my second deerless season along with last year being my first. Daughter shot her first ( buck ) last year so that made it a great season. Someone made a golf related comment to keep me out here and it stuck. Brought up a club championship years ago where in dreadful rain and wind I shot 81 ( 9 over par ). It’s done , on paper and out of my control. The next weekend I shot 69 Saturday and 67 Sunday for the win  81-69-67. I put that experience into my hunting this year. The past is gone and out of my control. Been carrying my ML as primary gun all year as usual. Yesterday I asked daughter if I could borrow her Remington 870 youth 20. She gladly obliged.  Got to stand at about 2 . My fawn friends arrive as normal to dig in the small plot.  I notice movement coming from the west on woodsline into golden rod. West wind in my favor.  Shooter buck I guessed at 100. Didn’t grab laser range finder out of backpack but looked like most of a sand wedge.  He started directly towards me with only a head on shot. Then started diagonally and was getting closer. I turned on bushnell T optics and dang shooting rail is too low. Well Treeguy helped me set this stand in a 5 trunk maple. One trunk with a nice limb gave me the rest I needed. Put the T front shoulder and squeezed. Legs buckled under him.  Racked another and kept eyes on him. 5-7 minutes later I see him trying to get up and head is raised. Put T on neck and sent another. Nary a twitch. First one went through boiler room. But I was taking no chances and no too dead.  81 yards.  Buddy who’s property I hunt is in Ohio so no deer uber. Old school drag by horns most of way. Then hitting the uphill portion I grabbed the drag and shed some gear.  You guys kept my head in the game , thank you for that. PMS and texts were blowing my phone up. Thanks for the congrats! Up in stand now trying to punch a doe tag.  Guessing he’s 2.5.  I like the dark chocolate rack. Congrats to everyone who’s gotten it done and good luck the remainder of the year. 

7DE0D38E-0EAF-4B16-86B8-8AC034E6420D.jpeg

DB688267-3CF2-4C19-93F1-CEF7B59C3AB8.jpeg

1F4D1CCC-6CFD-4F95-BEA0-6BAFE3DD0553.jpeg

CAB81045-05BB-4DF1-9423-5FAEE2275153.jpeg

• Like 44

Not the biggest in the world but nice & plump. .223 60 grain v-max @  137 yards. Ran about 25 more and keeled over.

I needed to fill a tag so we have meatballs and jerky for x-mas and time is running out.

IMG_20181202_125010[1].jpg

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 28

Well , couldn’t get on a decent buck in bow or gun , took a doe the other day and that would have been fine if that ended my season .

Last two sits zippo , today hopped in my only hang on , and in the open hardwoods . Difficult walk in land is flooded, can’t cross drainage ditch have to walk around extra 500 yards .

So I’m on Stand maybe half an hour ,it’s  3:00 and I see doe running around , they come in close but keep looking back , I see more doe and a buck.

the doe are all 20 -30 yards from me as I try to gauge the buck, he comes into 45 yards gives me a shot , straight down he goes. I put a second one in him as he tries to get back up .

Climb down and as I fill out my tag the doe come back and stand 30 yards away ....

1 1/2 hour drag, guy hunting next woods over offers to come with ATV , but I was not about to ruin his hunt, so I ignored the text and stared dragging .

Sorry only pic I took of deer , doe as I fill out tag .

927DC689-BD7E-46B0-9756-54B24E6BF14F.png

30E555E6-C52A-48A0-AE6E-C321FE852E2C.png

• Like 41

I sat until 8 before getting cold, I was underdressed because I only had a couple hours. I decided to take a walk and within 50 yards I jump a deer. It slowly trots off, tail swaying side to side. I got on it and it stops to look back at maybe 60 yards, possibly under. I take the shot and it turns and trots away again and I thought i saw it go down. I was unable to cross the swollen creek so i went a ways upstream and found a cottonwood laying across it. I came back to where I first saw the deer and looked up the trail it was on and it was laying dead. I get to it and not only did I hit this deer in the head a good two feet from where I was aiming, but its a buck that had shed! I cant see any visible injury on him to cause him to shed this early and I'm 85% certain he wasnt wearing them when I first saw him. The one pedicle has blood thats not fresh in it, the other I hit behind so I couldnt say. I backtracked him to the bed and spent a while looking around the shot and recovery sight but couldnt find an antler. A very lucky shot that could have been a miss/wounding. I will shoot the gun to make sure its the carpenter and not the tool, very likely I simply yanked the shot. Not my proudest moment

56562340807__8735EC08-B42D-4988-B21C-F99F7F6405F1.JPG

• Like 37

I thought I posted this before but maybe it was in the wrong thread?

It was opening day in 9F, I sat all morning didn't see anything. I was walking back to the house and i jumped a hot doe with 2 bucks in tow. No shot. I decided to sit i the stand I have in the area she headed earlier. I got in the stand at 3:15 and i shot this guy at 3:29! I know this because i texted my buddy when i got to the stand and again right after i shot!

I have had this buck on camera for 3 years in a row and he has always been a wide 6 pt. Field dressed 185lbs. 

IMG_20181117_161307792.jpg

• Like 37

Late to the party but I shot this doe last Saturday the 8th. First shot opportunity all season on a mature doe. Saw more small bucks this year than does which makes the upcoming years look promising. Have the last 4 days of ML off and hope to #SENDIT again! 05c8f5dcf264819178a2d70f95c5d4ff.jpga0536b66559e9ea4fbdb397dbca2f04e.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 20

I took this big doe opening afternoon with my 308 at gmans/gregs place.

I got the 8pt buck a couple saturdays ago with the muzzle loader he was chasing 2 doe.

The young deer i shot this past saturday with my muzzle loader.

20181117_170320.jpg

20181124_093544.jpg

20181124_102021.jpg

20181124_113458.jpg

20181207_170445.jpg

• Like 27

Was very fortunate to run into this guy the last Saturday of muzzleloader. Shot wasn't great as I had a tight window, and he was quartering away. It was good enough that he bedded down within 20 yards of the shot and gave me the opportunity to reload and put another one in him. He didn't have a liver left which is probably why he bedded down so fast. No idea what he scores (upper 140s/low 150s?), but he field dressed at 195 pounds. To say my wife is excited for a new wall decoration is an understatement :) 

IMG_0127.jpg

• Like 32

I hot this big doe 12/18 the last morning of late season 3 adult doe came she was the biggest . I shot her at 50 yards she tipped right over.  I didn't hunt much after bow season but i was lucky enough to take a big doe with the 308 and 2 doe and a 8pt with the muzzle loader.

20181218_093024_Burst01.jpg

20181218_094337.jpg

• Like 13

• 1 month later...