A good day to be glassing sunny hillsides and stalking

philoshop

It's mostly a Western thing, of course,  but I've taken a few deer and a lot of fox pelts around here by putting a good pair of binoculars on South and West facing hillsides in the winter when the sun is out. It's always damned hard work sneaking up on them to get a shot but there's something very rewarding about it if you can pull it off. "Caught ya napping in the sun did I?"

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I love stalking/still hunting. Not that i am very good at it,but i feel like i am getting better every year. I am 46 now,so probably in the not too distant future i will be getting worse at it...

It is fun to be on the ground with deer.

It takes practice and enormous physical discipline to sneak up on wild creatures. You make a single sound or give off a foreign odor that makes it's way to the target and your hunt is over.

More often than not I'd just walk ridges above where I thought animals might be sitting on benches in the sun. Creep to the edge with a good pair of binoculars and be ready for a shot.

9 minutes ago, philoshop said:

It takes practice and enormous physical discipline to sneak up on wild creatures. You make a single sound or give off a foreign odor that makes it's way to the target and your hunt is over.

More often than not I'd just walk ridges above where I thought animals might be sitting on benches in the sun. Creep to the edge with a good pair of binoculars and be ready for a shot.

that is just about how i got my doe yesterday. Cresting a little rise and having a loooong good look around.

• Thanks 1

It's important to pay attention. While hunting or just living a normal life. A lot of people don't get that, and I find it frightening. It's important to just not be stupid all the time.

It's fun to sneak up on an animal who's only goal in life is avoiding you. Two-legged or four-legged.

• Haha 1

I really enjoy glassing with binos. I wish NYS offered more open spaces or better managed public land with fields that allowed more of it. Hunting the thick pines/hardwoods can be really slow and glassing is hard. I’d love to find a nice power line with some trails running across it to glass for whitetail.