Shot through the neck.

First-light

I have shot deer through the neck pretty much brigs them right down. This was the case with the buck I shot this weekend. He was a big 2.5 year old. Took him at 100 yards 1187 with lightfield slugs. He was broadside but neck turned looking in my direction. The slug entered half way down the neck 1.5 inches from the bottom side of the neck. There is no exit hole. I'm asking myself what I hit to bring him down like that? Did it change direction and go up to the brain or down. I'll ask the guys who skin him but it has me baffled. Deer dropped in his tracks and died in about 7 minutes. Let me know what you think. 

jpeg-imag copy.jpg

• Like 4

Lightfield slugs.....baddest slugs on the planet. Never had a deer take another step when hit with those bad boys. I hit one with lightfields years ago but coming straight at me. Vitals were jelly and found zlug about 2 feet in against the skin on it side. Lightffields were made a few miles from me when i livef in jersey. Been using fhem since about 97. Wish i was usi g my slug gun opening day when i missed an 8 in brush with my 06. Congrats on the buck..nice shot!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

Lightfield slugs.....baddest slugs on the planet. Never had a deer take another step when hit with those bad boys. I hit one with lightfields years ago but coming straight at me. Vitals were jelly and found zlug about 2 feet in against the skin on it side. Lightffields were made a few miles from me when i livef in jersey. Been using fhem since about 97. Wish i was usi g my slug gun opening day when i missed an 8 in brush with my 06. Congrats on the buck..nice shot!

Thanks bud they are awesome!

2 minutes ago, First-light said:

Right but my shot was not high in the neck. It was 1.5 inches from the bottom end. 

I understand, but they dont just drop  without that trauma to the CNS. bullet may have entered and traveled? We would have to see shot placement, angle, distance maybe to get a true sense of the shot. regardless nice deer congrats.

• Like 1

Definitely hit the spine..Probably at the base of the neck, where it joins the shoulders and everything comes together...

One of my hunting buddies, who grew up in Pa, always shoots his deer right there, because he wants them to go STRAIGHT DOWN,   avoiding the deer running 50- 75 yards and perhaps being claimed by another hunter in the crowded PA woods of the 60s and 70s.. He calls it the SWEET SPOT..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kpkot said:

I understand, but they dont just drop  without that trauma to the CNS. bullet may have entered and traveled? We would have to see shot placement, angle, distance maybe to get a true sense of the shot. regardless nice deer congrats.

I have a feeling you are right. Trauma brought him down and the bullet went into cavity. Once I got to the lungs and heart a ton of blood pooled out. 

• Like 1

if it hit bone it will sublux, dislocate, and shatter into the spinal cord.. if this happens the trauma will cause the nervous system to shut down major organs such as the diaphragm first.. if it hit blood vessels such as a carotid arteries or jugular or brachiocephalic veins depending on the angle etc the deer probably died from hypovolemic shock... yes i am a doctor and i have shot deer in the neck it's usually lights out with my 30-06... lol

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, CapDistPatriot said:

Nice thing about that shot, besides not having to track it, is it doesn't ruin a lot of meat.

depends on the deer. a good buck you'll get a 10 lb neck roast. a bigger buck it'll be closer to a 17lb neck roast. seems like there's a lot of garbage connective tissue in there but it renders down or can be separated out easily if cooked a certain way. ton of good flavor in portions of neck meat. most just grind it up though.

• Thanks 1

hunters don't realize the spine dips lower at the base of the neck. doesn't run right along the top back of it's neck you know of and see. not saying it's where you hit at all. just saying it's closer. a slug with no exit hole is a lot of energy that's dissipated in the deer which causes lots of shock and terminal damage.

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

hunters don't realize the spine dips lower at the base of the neck. doesn't run right along the top back of it's neck you know of and see. not saying it's where you hit at all. just saying it's closer. a slug with no exit hole is a lot of energy that's dissipated in the deer which causes lots of shock and terminal damage.

I have never even thought about shooting there. Would it be a fool's errand to try a rifle shot there with a fast moving bullet?  I shoot 7mm-.08

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CapDistPatriot said:

I have never even thought about shooting there. Would it be a fool's errand to try a rifle shot there with a fast moving bullet?  I shoot 7mm-.08

If shooting that 7mm and that's an accurate round I'd go for the boiler room. Watched my buddy shoot 3 doe in about 9 minutes last night from 150 yards. One bang flopped, one went 15 yards and one 20 yards   My guess is a slug like a Lightfield is dumping more energy too

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CapDistPatriot said:

people do it but it's a smaller target and not a guarantee in my mind. vitals are vitals and that's what i always aim for. head shot is technically a vital and despite i've done it in the past i don't do it. even less margin for error there and i wouldn't want to take off a jaw and have the deer suffer.

• Like 1

I think all the deer I've shot with Lightfields have never punched 2 holes. Most barely moved after getting hit. They dump a ton of energy   Some guys want 2 holes,. Why when I don't have to track to a piled up deer. 3 years in a row I found the sabot tucked under the skin of opposite shoulder   One was a 3" at about 25 feet.

• Like 1

I like the neck shot . My gramps taught  me that it was the best shot on a standing deer . No major  loss of meat and drops them right there. Grams however loved the neck roast and usually gave him heck. I personally pick  an imaginary  line  just in front of the shoulders where the neck starts. This also works on boar with devastating effect. Alot of vitals packed in a small area . Plus the pictures are prettier  than a head shot.

• Like 1

I've never advocated neck shots, when executed perfectly they work well but I have also seen deer alive for a long time after being hit in the neck. I've tracked deer for buddies that hit a deer in the meat off the neck and they went a mile, some found, some not. I just don't understand why it makes any sense to aim there? It's not even half the size of the heart lung area and Yea so if done perfect they drop, but how far does a deer run with a double lung hit? 50yds? I think I'll take the 150% bigger vital area and walk a few extra yards to claim my deer. Hell, I know guys that have dropped deer with a neck shot only to have them get back up and run off to never be seen again. IMO, don't shoot for the neck or head.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Shot almost all my gun deer in the neck all have ranged where but from a .243 to 20 gauge. None took another step after the shot. Shot a doe this weekend in the boiler room went 70 yards and piled. Below is the blood trail. Easy to track and next to no meat ruined. First deer i shot in the vitals since i was 16 when i got my first 6 point with the old 20 gauge.d576f2337fdcf1ee2d64c6cbc3131d58.jpg&key=874def745db71765c1594ffd4d2772526090b70a1f32ab7ee7342b809e3aa8118750117d7e34574e8a049777e94b1119.jpg&key=1e756cee057027024a92808bd25f96397352742cec28fbed1b5dea1b850bae11

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk