Shot through the neck.

First-light

45 minutes ago, nybuckboy said:

my father always shot the neck with a 16 gauge

I killed my third largest antlered buck a few years ago with one of those (my grandfather's Ithaca model 37) and a neck shot.  The range was 10 yards and the head, neck, and antlers were the only parts that I could see thru the heavy cover.   That is the only deer that I can recall aiming at the neck with my initial shot, but many (including this years - my new second largest antlered buck) took a finishing shot to the neck from point blank range.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

So, ideally, where is the aiming point for the neck shot, as seen from the side?  Base of the neck, a few inches from the top line?

For finishing shots, I aim about midway between shoulder and head, and 1/3 of the way down from the back of the neck.  This has worked perfectly around a dozen times for me.  Most of my hunting is in a shotgun-only zone and I always carry an odd-ball leftover sabot for this duty so that I do not have to use one of the $ 3.00 each ones.      

So, ideally, where is the aiming point for the neck shot, as seen from the side?  Base of the neck, a few inches from the top line?
I like to put it centered up down and left right so if you're 2"any direction you have a dead deer. This is a little gruesome but 80 yards with the .243 95gr. Ballistic tip hit spine on exit.c0a179ce2ac687b2b25a4dd080de3774.jpgeac66c26116d11e4f23dc9a0466b5c24.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 11/19/2018 at 7:31 PM, chrisw said:

I've never advocated neck shots, when executed perfectly they work well but I have also seen deer alive for a long time after being hit in the neck. I've tracked deer for buddies that hit a deer in the meat off the neck and they went a mile, some found, some not. I just don't understand why it makes any sense to aim there? It's not even half the size of the heart lung area and Yea so if done perfect they drop, but how far does a deer run with a double lung hit? 50yds? I think I'll take the 150% bigger vital area and walk a few extra yards to claim my deer. Hell, I know guys that have dropped deer with a neck shot only to have them get back up and run off to never be seen again. IMO, don't shoot for the neck or head.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I hunt postage stamp property of 30 acres. People below me have 20 acres and put 4 people on it sometimes 6. People above have 49 acres and had 5 . I have lost more than a few deer to the neighbor's.   In my opinion drt verses a 50 yard sprint or more on to the neighbors property  is not an option. That said I shoot alot with my hunting guns . Revolvers and rifle over 2000 rounds a year. I would say i personally am very proficient  with all my guns. If a person isnt comfortable with the shot a person shouldn't do it . I understand  chit happens. But I have also seen alot more deer with horrific  leg wounds  amputations from a  shot at the vitals gone low  .  Or have found  gut  shot  deer lost trying to hit the bigger vitals.

I guess the best answer is to practice  more often .

Aim small miss small.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 5:12 PM, First-light said:

The guy who capped it said he found the slug on the other side of the neck didn't exit. Must of been shock that brought him down. I thought a few times he was getting up with leg movement but just stayed put. Deer is a hog with plenty of meat.!

Could it be that the shock brought him down and you smoked the windpipe and he just didn't get his feet under him. Might have suffocated.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

Could it be that the shock brought him down and you smoked the windpipe and he just didn't get his feet under him. Might have suffocated.

This could be. He lived for another 7 minutes or so. When I walked up I could tell he wasn't breathing then he would take a gasping big breath then fade away again just to do it over and over. A few times his legs started to go in motion then stopped. 

And then there was the big buck that I saw that had his lower jaw swinging from his head like a big bag of hamburger. Kind of hard to ever eat again with only one jaw. And there was the one on the other side of a huge ravine that I could hear wheezing all the way across that distance. Probably a windpipe hit. Both deer likely will go down of hunger after a heck of a long time. Not much meat saved there. I have no idea what the details of those wounds were but I would bet dollars to donuts that they were attempted shots at the neck or the head. That's not to say that shots attempted at the huge boiler room never go astray, but the odds are so much more in your favor with the massively larger heart/lung area.