Heart recipe

Big Indian

I will never discard or leave the heart in the gut pile again. Friggen delicious- with a simple marinade I got off the below website ,too bad it's such a small organ. 
https://honest-food.net/grilled-deer-heart-recipe/

Isn’t that what your wife said on your wedding night..... In all seriousness it’s one of the best pieces of meat on the whole deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I agree, and so does my seventeen year old daughter.. She loves deer heart.  Last night we had it sauteed in olive oil, slathered in Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and served over white rice. My minature dachshund got the scraps.  Smiles all around. I am definitely trying the marinade recipe next time!  I always marinate back straps and other roasts before grilling.

• Like 1

I do a venison/heart spread 1 heart boiled in enough water to cover the heart and a few glugs of cider vinegar boill for about 1-1/2 hours let cool remove fatty tissue and and remainder unwanted place in food processer add 3 oz creamcheese 1tsp of each mustard garlic powder minced onions and salt/pepper.Process together and serve on toast or crackers.

My wife pickles deer hearts for me every Valentine's day (ain't she special).  She uses my grandma's old recipe for pickled heart and tongue (grandma and my mom used beef and pork tongues).    Moose tongue, done with that recipe, is my all time favorite game meat.  Maybe I will cut the tongues out of the two bigger deer that are hanging in the garage now and throw them in the mix.  I tried frying the one from my bb a few weeks ago but the skin made it a little chewy.  We would always skin the cow and pig tongues after boiling but that bb tongue was so small that would not have left much meat.  Even it's heart was only about 1/4 the size of that from the 182 pound bruiser that I killed on Saturday.       

Edited by wolc123

7 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

My wife pickles deer hearts for me every Valentine's day (ain't she special).  She uses my grandma's old recipe for pickled heart and tongue (grandma and my mom used beef and pork tongues).    Moose tongue, done with that recipe, is my all time favorite game meat.  Maybe I will cut the tongues out of the two bigger deer that are hanging in the garage now and throw them in the mix.  I tried frying the one from my bb a few weeks ago but the skin made it a little chewy.  We would always skin the cow and pig tongues after boiling but that bb tongue was so small that would not have left much meat.  Even it's heart was only about 1/4 the size of that from the 182 pound bruiser that I killed on Saturday.       

Tongue is hard to cook.I find boiling them then skining and slice then toss in a hot fry pan with onions and pepper makes for a good sandwich

I love heart pickled, I usually try to get a couple of them before I do, but it is super simple and quick. I was really bummed last week when I shot lower than I anticipated and vaporized a big does heart. (them made the wife grumpy when I left the liver on the ATV seat).