Getting to the Field can be HARD!

pitweiler

I'm married, three kids under 5, wife is pregnant- due in January, and we both have demanding full time jobs. My wife is also going to school full time. Makes getting into the field difficult for me. Lots of demands and responsibility. It can get frustrating. Anyone else trying to work around the same kind of stuff? How do you do it?

• Like 2

Ive got 3 kids from 13 down to 2 so that does help(not all as young as yours).  But my wife knows my time of year is right now so she pushes me out the door sometimes. But i dont hunt like i used to. I get out whenever i can squeeze it in.  Miday,last hr, i do get lucky in the mornings because they all like to sleep in on weekends so i usually have until 10am if i dont have to work saturdays.    It does suck every now and then not getting out when i want. but ide still rather have time with them then more time in the woods.  Its just a balancing act.  Good luck gettinf out and with the new baby.

• Like 1

I agree. Time with family is more important. My wife is awesome and totally supports me getting out there. The problem I'm running into is that the only time I'm really able to get out there is from 8:30-2/2:30pm. Which I'd say isn't peak time to be out there. My son is 5 and has started showing great interest in going out so I'm going to take him for a few hours maybe tomorrow or Friday. I scouted a new location for exactly 1 hour this afternoon before I picked them up and found a number of trails converging on a few spots. Recorded it all in onX and picked a few spots for our blind. We'll See what happens.

2 minutes ago, pitweiler said:

I agree. Time with family is more important. My wife is awesome and totally supports me getting out there. The problem I'm running into is that the only time I'm really able to get out there is from 8:30-2/2:30pm. Which I'd say isn't peak time to be out there. My son is 5 and has started showing great interest in going out so I'm going to take him for a few hours maybe tomorrow or Friday. I scouted a new location for exactly 1 hour this afternoon before I picked them up and found a number of trails converging on a few spots. Recorded it all in onX and picked a few spots for our blind. We'll See what happens.

I will tell you i havent killed all but 1 big buck in my life but it was at 2pm.  And i see more deer on the one piece of stateland i hunt from 10-2.  You will be suprised how affective that time is.   My dad always told me sleep in and go in when others are coming out.  Even when i hunted my grandmothers we saw deer at 11 all the time.

3 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I will tell you i havent killed all but 1 big buck in my life but it was at 2pm.  And i see more deer on the one piece of stateland i hunt from 10-2.  You will be suprised how affective that time is.   My dad always told me sleep in and go in when others are coming out.  Even when i hunted my grandmothers we saw deer at 11 all the time.

I've heard the same thing and frankly, my experience is similar. So far my time in the woods hasn't yielded any encounters, but last year I ran across a buck chasing a doe full sprint, about 30 yards in front of me. It was an awesome experience. Happened at 11:30am.

Edited by pitweiler

1 hour ago, pitweiler said:

I'm married, three kids under 5, wife is pregnant- due in January, and we both have demanding full time jobs. My wife is also going to school full time. Makes getting into the field difficult for me. Lots of demands and responsibility. It can get frustrating. Anyone else trying to work around the same kind of stuff? How do you do it?

Three kids less than 5, one on the way, you both work full time and wife even goes to school full time??   Wow,  I am amazed that you have time to brush your teeth, never mind have time to go hunting.  With all due respect, if one wants a big family one has to realize that there won't be much time left for hobbies, pastimes, etc.. Especially when the kids are still young.  Life can be challenging enough with one or two kids, but if  one chooses to take on the huge responsibility of having many kids, then there isn't much good advice anyone can give you since you were the one who made the decision to have so many.

I’m in the same boat except 2 young kids. But we both work 40+ hours a week and my wife works every other Saturday so getting out is tough.

I get out when I can and enjoy it. My oldest daughter usually tags along a few times but this year she hasn’t been into it.

Enjoy the young family while you can because things will continue to change and eventually you will be back to hunting as much as you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steve863 said:

With all due respect, if one wants a big family one has to realize that there won't be much time left for hobbies, pastimes, etc.. Especially when the kids are still young.  Life can be challenging enough with one or two kids, but if  one chooses to take on the huge responsibility of having many kids, then there isn't much good advice anyone can give you since you were the one who made the decision to have so many.

I had no idea how much responsibility having kids and getting married would be. I'm glad I finally understand. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I’m in the same boat except 2 young kids. But we both work 40+ hours a week and my wife works every other Saturday so getting out is tough.

I get out when I can and enjoy it. My oldest daughter usually tags along a few times but this year she hasn’t been into it.

Enjoy the young family while you can because things will continue to change and eventually you will be back to hunting as much as you want.

My wife is great about making sure I get to go out and I do my best to make sure she gets her time. I'm definitely going to miss the kids being little, but I am excited that my boy is getting big enough to tag along with me. He told me yesterday that we wants to get a moose tag. I told him New York doesn't have a moose season. He said "but Canada does"... Kid has big dreams lol :meeting:

• Like 2

I’m out of the weeds as they say (14, 13,13) so they can be home a bit more alone then yours. To be honest though I find myself choosing to be home with them or at their shit then in the woods at times. But when I need some time away Mrs Crappy is quite good about it.
Don’t let anyone else tell you how to enjoy yours and how your life should be - clearly you have a partner who is equally dedicated to the craziness of big family and full careers. That’s the key- a partner in the same page

• Like 1

There is also the physical requirements to get into the field. I had a full knee replacement in May and it took 4 months to get back to work. It now takes longer to walk on uneven ground and there is the over foot of snow that makes it even more fun. Just remember family all ways comes first there is no deer worth time with family.

• Like 1

I don't know how you get out at all. Seriously. I only have a wife and no kids and and old house to take care of,we both work and i don't get out as much as i would like.

But i think i am far from a type A 1 personality as well.

But no one has time to do all the stuff they want,unless you are a dud and have 0 interests. Prioritize and do what you can,all anyone can do really.

Good luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Larry said:

There is also the physical requirements to get into the field. I had a full knee replacement in May and it took 4 months to get back to work. It now takes longer to walk on uneven ground and there is the over foot of snow that makes it even more fun. Just remember family all ways comes first there is no deer worth time with family.

I hope your knee holds up. I can only imagine how difficult that must be. If you haven't done so, check out the onX Hunt maps app. It's on sale for $21 a year right now and I find it indispensable. It allows your phone to be used as a gps without cell signal through the use of downloaded maps. It also has a computer interface that is tied to your mobile app. I find it really helps me e-scout different areas and figure out where movement might be based on topo features. So far I've been pretty accurate. I've found good sign in each place I e-scouted. Cuts down on the walking around. Might be helpful for you.  

ETA: I don't work for them. Just a typo.

Edited by pitweiler

There is really only one good way of getting around the issues of which you speak. If you are a dyed in the wool outdoor sports person putting in special effort for choosing your place of residence to live raise your family is the best way of having your cake and eating it too. A home with enough land to hunt on or close to decent state or public lands will allow the whole clan to be together and enjoy outdoor stuff even on a tight time schedule. I have purchased two properties in my lifetime and both had strict requirements to be met before I signed on the dotted line so I and my family could reasonably enjoy the outdoor lifestyle I want to live. When my boys were young even if the time was short we could walk out the door of our home and within walking distance could hunt, fish and target shoot. While not an easy thing to accomplish it is well worth the effort it takes to get done.

Al

Edited by airedale

I am in the same boat. We have a 12yr old son, a 4 yr old daughter and a 16month old son. MY 4 yr old is constantly sick, i mean constantly every week or two she gets some type of sickness, ever since she had pneumonia 2 yrs ago.. And my son has some issues going on with him that need attention as well. It makes it hard on all of us, especially my wife who doesn't deal with stress very well.. We both have more than full time jobs, but hers a little more forgiving than mine. The kids come first as always, but with my daughter and youngest having drs appts all the time.. there is no time for anything, and for parents who never dealt with this before, most we relate with dont understand the demand these kids need. Everything lately has been looking a little better, and in hopes they both grow out of this nasty spell their in.. 

Ive made it out 5x so far, and my wife not once yet this year. Since she alters her schedule with dr appts during the week, and making up work time on the weekends. And not having much family to help us in times like these, sure makes it even harder.. Hopefully the kids outgrow this, and sooner than later so we all can enjoy life like a normal family.. 

This lifestyle sure makes it hard when trying managing land and a deer herd, and tresspassrs... 

On a positive note, you make the best of the times when i can get into the woods providing the weather conditions and time of year... but most of all, the deer stay unpressured from not being in the woods much...  

My kids are all grown up . Wife doesn't  hunt anymore and one son gets out once or twice for deer season . I have time to hunt and fish. I guess I served  my penance.  Does get hard to go sometimes when there's no one to share with. I long for the days when deer season was a family event. Miss my gramps and grand mother  .. the red woolrich suits the smell of the wood stove. Think  I might take grams 20 guage deerslayer for a walk this afternoon. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

The kids come first as always, but with my daughter and youngest having drs appts all the time.. there is no time for anything, and for parents who never dealt with this before, most we relate with dont understand the demand these kids need. Everything lately has been looking a little better, and in hopes they both grow out of this nasty spell their in..  

I hope your kids’ health improve. Do they go to daycare? Any chance someone could be sending their sick kids instead of keeping them home? We dealt with than until we switched to an in home daycare provider. 

3 kids under 6. wife isn't pregnant and she stays at home and it's still tough. I don't get in as much as I'd like, but I make it a priority. I'm not using vacation or that time to do other things like golf, poker, drink at a bar. The wife understands that it's my hobby, my therapy and my time.

I think if you make it a priority, you can find the time. If you're a casual hunter you probably wont find the time. I also buy my wife a spa day at the end of the season for putting up with it. She does understand, as I do for her that everyone needs to relax and get away, so that helps.

I'm not sure there is anywhere in the middle with 3 kids and a job.

edit. my 6 year old went turkey hunting with me in the spring and is excited about his first trip to the deer woods this weekend. There's a way to work them into your woods time that most woman will love. Father son/daughter bonding is priceless.

reminds me of the song "just fishin"

Edited by Belo
  • Like 4

I Work days full time and my wife works nights part time and also cleans houses. We have 2 boys 5 and 2. Time to hunt is extremely hard to come by. Every year she takes the kids to my brothers house in CT and he comes here for opening weekend after that its a crap shoot. I just keep telling myself someday the boys will be with me in the woods and we will have all the time in the world to hunt.

• Like 3

There are ways to make it work.  Being able to hunt out your back door, as has already been mentioned, is a big one.   Hunting for meat as the primary focus is even bigger, if you can figure out how to make it taste good (that is the easy part) and convince your wife of the health benefits of the product.  For me, it was a simple matter of leaving a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition, with a shapely Australian model on the cover, on the dining room table after I left for work one day.   The article inside revealed that venison was her favorite meal.      

These days, my wife and (2) girls are virtually addicted to venison (and none of them hunt).  They put pressure on me to keep them supplied.  Sometimes it can be a tough "job" but someone's got to do it.   I am very blessed in that they like fish also.   Certainly the trophy hunter has a much tougher row to hoe.        

Edited by wolc123