Hunting thermos

biggamefish

I have a small thermos I duct taped and it holds about a large coffee maybe a little more. I am looking to get another about the same size as a gift just better quality. What are some of you guys using that works well and really keeps everything warm.

Edited by biggamefish
  • Like 1

I use my grandpas old thermos, again a bigger thermos, holds 8 cups.  It has to be 50+ yrs old, it hold hot heat all day, still warm 24 hrs in if forgotten about.  He carried it everyday during his career.

Make sure you get a vacuum insulated thermos in my opinion.

Tons of brands out there, I have experience with Rtic, Ozark Trail, The four letter word brand...and Bubba kegs 

IMG_7547.JPG

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I got one of the green jobbers as well. It works good . I was actually looking around for one with a wider mouth that I could eat soup out of.

I got this last year for my kid to take to school for hot lunches. She says its still warm at lunch time which is about 4 hours later. 

I have not tested it out in the woods though

https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainless-Ounce-Folding-Spoon/dp/B01DZQT01U/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1542814793&sr=8-14&keywords=stanley+thermos

• Like 1

2 hours ago, biggamefish said:

I have a small thermos I duct taped and it holds about a large coffee maybe a little more. I am looking to get another about the same size as a gift just better quality. What are some of you guys using that works well and really keeps everything warm.

Exactly the right size. Maybe the size of a kids lunch pail thermos, but, gin of half the size' larger diameter.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

5 hours ago, biggamefish said:

What are some of you guys using that works well and really keeps everything warm.

These are pretty nice and easily keeps the coffee hot for about 4- hours or a little more. They come in 12 & 16 ozs. and the nice part about them is if you tip them over you don't spill a drop.

ZOJIRUSHI. I received mine as a gift https://www.dealmoon.com/19-99-Zojirushi-SM-KHE48BA/577311.html

mug.jpg

Edited by Steve D

This old made-in-USA Stanley, that my wife got a garage sale for a couple dollars a few years ago, keeps my cider hot all day no matter how cold it is outside (it takes 6 minutes in the microwave in the morning to heat up a quart).  I love that hot cider on cold days as the heat seems to warm me up all over from the inside.   The aroma of hot cider (unlike coffee) is not offensive to deer.  I would recommend a camo finish however.  This shiny chrome model delayed my killing of that old swamp buck hanging in the background by almost a week.  He caught a glimpse of me putting the cup/cover back on it on the last weekend of archery season.  I used my gun (from longer range) the next time I entered his swamp.  Normally, from an enclosed blind, it is a non-issue but he busted me from 30 yards away in a hang on tree-stand.  No problem from the same stand (moved to a different tree) a week later, from a bit over a hundred yards away with my 4X scoped 12 gauge.      

deerCiderThermos.jpg

I use a large stanley, it holds 3-4 good mugs of coffee. I also duct taped the handle, so it's quiet.

What I do is I bring it and I also bring a small vacuum insulated coffee cup and I pour from the large thermos to the small.

A large vacuum insulated thermos like I have works so damn well that before I leave I bring my coffee up to boil temps (I brew it and then microwave until it is at or close to 100C). I put it in the thermos and it is scalding, undrinkably hot 2-3 hours later even in cold temps. I demand my tea or coffee to be extremely hot (as in freshly brewed--won't tolerate luke warm) and this keeps it that way for several hours.

Honestly though any vacuum insulated canister will work and the larger the volume vs size of cap the longer it will keep fluid hot.

Stanley is the way to go, ł pre heat the day before then re-use the water for hot chocolate.

ł made this batch (2quart) at 4am this morning, drank from it throughout the day and am finishing the last cup after a 1.5 hour drive home. This thing stays hot!

ł removed the handle because it's too loud, will be making a new one from paracord when ł get a chance. Also wrapping the shiny lid in camo duct tape when ł find it.

20181125_125511.jpg

Edited by XGX7PM
Typo

18 hours ago, XGX7PM said:

Stanley is the way to go, ł pre heat the day before then re-use the water for hot chocolate.

ł made this batch (2quart) at 4am this morning, drank from it throughout the day and am finishing the last cup after a 1.5 hour drive home. This thing stays hot!

ł removed the handle because it's too loud, will be making a new one from paracord when ł get a chance. Also wrapping the shiny lid in camo duct tape when ł find it.

20181125_125511.jpg

I have the same one, I like the paracord idea

I have a small one that holds like 16oz that I have had for ages and it is great. It was from Gander. Now for long days my daughter got me a Yetti and I’m impressed. Coffee is too hot to drink hours later in stand on 20 degree days.

1ed53e781753b630fffe5f8b223a17ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I have a small one that holds like 16oz that I have had for ages and it is great. It was from Gander. Now for long days my daughter got me a Yetti and I’m impressed. Coffee is too hot to drink hours later in stand on 20 degree days.

1ed53e781753b630fffe5f8b223a17ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeti travel mugs are amazing, coffee is hot after hours upon hours in the ice cold car. Same result with the Ozark Trail knockoff too

I have a few Stanley's in varying sizes and a Thermos brand that all work really well when pre-heated. I also have a couple of Yeti Ramblers and I have to say, they just defy all logic when it comes to keeping liquid hot.

OP said your looking for a gift...get a Yeti. They're not that much more and it is a quality gift. 

On 11/21/2018 at 2:28 PM, Steve D said:

These are pretty nice and easily keeps the coffee hot for about 4- hours or a little more. They come in 12 & 16 ozs. and the nice part about them is if you tip them over you don't spill a drop.

ZOJIRUSHI. I received mine as a gift https://www.dealmoon.com/19-99-Zojirushi-SM-KHE48BA/577311.html

mug.jpg

I use this one.  Mine will hold heat all day and it’s one hand open and close with no spilling.