Later rut?

First-light

What do you think? I know we travel rt 17 from Harriman to Howard that's 4 hours. Very little road kill this year. Two of the bucks killed opening day were seeking does. 

Read the article what do you think?

http://www.wellsvilledaily.com/sports/20180226/2018-rut-very-early-then-good-for-gun-season

I was out the last two days of bow and all opening weekend. The last day of bow I saw a monster and some spikes all with does and sniffing their rears with a lot of action all day. The next day for the gun opener the deer disappeared and all I saw were two fawns and one spike it was strange. Maybe they went into lock down as I didn't hear a lot of shots either.

• Like 1

my cams had bucks cruising real hard between 10/30-11/6 and then things seemed to slow down.. during some late bow sits i saw a couple does getting chased but i think the others got bred early. scrapes went cold the last week of bow. if that's the case the late rut/2nd rut should be around mid to late gun.. right? last year's 2nd rut IMO was more intense than the 1st...

• Like 1

8J.

Hot scrapes went cold 11/4-11/6.

First and only sign of seeking that I saw was on 11/17, opening day of gun season (4 bucks nose to the ground and frantic).

First and only chasing that I saw was on 11/19, and it was just a small 4pt chasing a doe and 2 fawns.

These were on different properties. Went back to both places the very next day and it was absolutely dead, nothing going on.

Since October 1st, I've been out hunting exactly 59 times, so I should have been able to see the rut progress and unfold, but I was greatly disappointed this year in the lack of rut activity that I saw.

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 3

The "Rutting Moon" (2nd full moon after the autumnal equinox) occurs over the next 2 days. when it is that late rutting activity is less intense.

Doe breeding is timed by lunar cycles so that the bulk of the fawns will be born during the dark phases of the moon in the spring.

Fawns born in mid May are not unusual here.

Edited by wildcat junkie

2 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

The "Rutting Moon" (2nd full moon after the autumnal equinox) occurs over the next 2 days. when it is that late rutting activity is less intense.

Doe breeding is timed by lunar cycles so that the bulk of the fawns will be born during the dark phases of the moon in the spring.

Fawns born in mid May are not unusual here.

For 2018, the rutting moon was last month's, per the Charlie Alsheimer methodology. I am hoping for a lot of second rut action this week, given how early the rutting moon came this year. Source: https://community.legendarywhitetails.com/blog/2018-rut-predictions-for-every-theory/ 

I think you all have to separate the frantic "chase phase" from the actual breeding process. Does will likely be bred well into January barring any super-snow activity. The "chase phase" is kinda like the first weekend that an 18-year-old kid gets to college for the first time out of high school. ;-)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NonTypical said:

It was an early rut this year, IMO.  You will start to see signs of the second rut begin on the backside of this full moon tomorrow. Action should steadily increase over the next 2 weeks leading up to the new moon. 

Ok I’m going with this .    : ) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Ok I’m going with this .    : ) 

So I had a chance to review pics from a cam that I have watching a scrape. Last month the first sparring that I had on cam was on the 23rd. On the 24th I had chasing. By the 27th, I had big bucks hitting the scrape until Nov 6. Then scrape activity went cold, with the exception of some small bucks and does. From Nov 6 until Nov 13, big bucks were non existent. I believe they were on lockdown. On Nov 14,15, and 16, one of my target bucks was on cam daily looking for does again  of course while I was 300 miles away upstate. For the last week or so, it seemed like classic post rut activity. 

Just yesterday I had some sparring on camera again. Today I have been getting pics of bucks trailing does, but not chasing yet. Scrapes are still cold, but I would expect that to change very soon. The second pre rut is about to get under way. That's just my observation. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 2