PA Girth Chart vs Live Weight Comparison

Steuben Jerry

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

But if you have a scale then how are you going to make up outlandish numbers??

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Have you not noticed that in every case here, where a deer was weighed and chest measured, the weight of the deer was MORE than predicted by the PA chest girth chart ?   What "outlandish" numbers might you be talking about ?  Do you own a tape measure and a scale ?  Why not put up some numbers yourself ?  

If you are into heavy deer, you might find some 100 pound field-dressed bb's, or 182 pound 2.5's on your ground if you had some better food available for them.  White clover and corn makes a great combination.  

Maybe you also missed the part where I said the weight don't mean much because more than 60 percent of that is made up of water, which has zero nutritional value (no calories).  Volume of meat is the important number.  The chest girth method makes for a more direct estimate of that.  Weight is very much affected by how long it takes to get the deer on the scale.  The chest girth stayed the same on the last one I checked throughout the 11 day 33-40 degree F hide-on ageing period.

19 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

What I do is drag the deer. If I get 100 yards (downhill, on snow) before I nearly collapse and need a break I know for certain that deer is under 120lbs. After that ten yards equates to twenty lbs, so if I collapse after 90 it’s a 100lb deer. Take 20% off for every 100 miles south of the arctic watershed obviously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

is it that nice hard crusty snow or soft wet soggy snow? different coefficient of friction needed :rofl:

• Like 1

during gun season, especially opening day we always weigh and hang. typically there's 3 to 5 deer taken and everybody takes a guess before the weight. No prizes, just bragging rights. I can honestly say I haven't been more than 10 pounds off just hoof judging weight in quite a few years. Hunt enough deer from the same area and aging and weight guesstimating gets pretty easy in my opinion.

• Like 1

Do you still have one hanging and a type measure handy ?  We could use a few more data points for a more accurate NY correction factor.   

Alright we’ve got a snug 35 1/4”. I’ve also got a scale, so place your bets. You jabronies I’ve already told keep your pie holes shut

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 9:54 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

I still catch hell for this from my buddies.

22 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Have you not noticed that in every case here, where a deer was weighed and chest measured, the weight of the deer was MORE than predicted by the PA chest girth chart ?   What "outlandish" numbers might you be talking about ?  Do you own a tape measure and a scale ?  Why not put up some numbers yourself ?  

If you are into heavy deer, you might find some 100 pound field-dressed bb's, or 182 pound 2.5's on your ground if you had some better food available for them.  White clover and corn makes a great combination.  

Maybe you also missed the part where I said the weight don't mean much because more than 60 percent of that is made up of water, which has zero nutritional value (no calories).  Volume of meat is the important number.  The chest girth method makes for a more direct estimate of that.  Weight is very much affected by how long it takes to get the deer on the scale.  The chest girth stayed the same on the last one I checked throughout the 11 day 33-40 degree F hide-on ageing period.

Just pick  the deer  up on your back and step up on a bathroom scale then subtract your own body weight. 

Edited by Storm914

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Very close, 111lbs, sans tenderloins

I was using the Hawaiian girth chart.  Must be more like NY whitetail than PA.  By the way, they also sell meat there by the cubic foot due the water retention issues noted by Wolc. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 4

Now we have (4) NY deer that were all heavier than predicted my the PA chart.  Different correction factors for each DMU would be nice.  Tac's and mine had nearly the same correction factor and they were both 9F's.   Also, there should probably be different charts for bucks and does.  Does typically carry a lot more weight in their rear ends, especially post-rut.  That would explain why Buckmaster's doe was so far off the chart, in addition to his getting it on the scale 2.5 hours after the kill.  The faster you get them on the scale, the higher the percentage of the weight is made up of water.    I imagine he ain't worried too much about that while watching some play on Broadway.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, Steuben Jerry said:

Plus the bone marrow and those tiny slivers of meat just behind the ears. The double secret hidden tenderloins. At least 97.5 lbs net. And that includes the taint.

The taint is my favorite part..

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Try a NY chartFB_IMG_1544316339533.thumb.jpg.f76f999970f65710f6d1a03a1cc72416.jpg

That one seems to underestimate the dressed weights by more than the PA chart (at least for the larger chest girths).  Now I see why you use the PA chart.   Do you have any of your own numbers that you could share ?  I am especially interested in doe numbers.   The correlation that Tac's and I got, with WMU 9f bucks, was pretty close to the PA chart.  

Edited by wolc123

18 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

That one seems to underestimate the dressed weights by more than the PA chart (at least for the larger chest girths).  Now I see why you use the PA chart.   Do you have any of your own numbers that you could share ?  I am especially interested in doe numbers.   The correlation that Tac's and I got, with WMU 9f bucks, was pretty close to the PA chart.  

I'll have to go back in the camp log and find numbers.. just came from butcher and the people that expect 60 lbs or more meat back from a 113lb yearling buck is unbelievable....