PA Girth Chart vs Live Weight Comparison

Steuben Jerry

My one take away is that deer weigh more than humans with the same chest size.  A buck my size would be well over 400lbs.  I feel much skinnier now.

It’s works pretty close for me. I wear a 40 suit jacket. The above chart shows 182lbs. I’m 170-180lbs depending on the time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just remembered we had a girth tape at camp and that we measured my buck from 2006. I dont have a picture of the scale, but the butcher shop weighed it and told me dressed weight was 207# the 2nd biggest that year as of Thanksgiving day.. This deer was 5.5+. The buck that created my madness for mature whitetails.. 

Im no pro but this is what we got for numbers... 

PB180022.JPG

PB180015.JPG

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

It’s works pretty close for me. I wear a 40 suit jacket. The above chart shows 182lbs. I’m 170-180lbs depending on the time of year.

I think time of year makes a ton of difference, as there is quite a bit of variation.  I guess it depends how "rutted up" I am.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That further confirms that you are the ideal PA buck!  Congrats Biz.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I think time of year makes a ton of difference, as there is quite a bit of variation.  I guess it depends how "rutted up" I am.

the 28 days things must be a myth. around here rutting is pretty hard before and after the NYS deer seasons.

7 hours ago, Belo said:

so you admit right there that the chest girth chart is flawed?

You betcha.  That is why I  am interesting in gathering more semi-meaningless data from folks with scales.   Did you ever measure any of your's ?  It would be interesting if we could find even a single case where the deer's dressed weight was lighter than predicted by the PA chest-girth chart.   As I have said repeatedly, I don't place a whole lot of value on a deer's dressed weight, since most of it constists of water which has zero nutritional value.  A few folks on here seem quite fixated on it however, even offering me a free scale a time or two.  "Volume" of venison is what is important to me.     

You betcha.  That is why I  am interesting in gathering more semi-meaningless data from folks with scales.   Did you ever measure any of your's ?  It would be interesting if we could find even a single case where the deer's dressed weight was lighter than predicted by the PA chest-girth chart.   As I have said repeatedly, I don't place a whole lot of value on a deer's dressed weight, since most of it constists of water which has zero nutritional value.  A few folks on here seem quite fixated on it however, even offering me a free scale a time or two.  "Volume" of venison is what is important to me.     

I think I found a winner! My Dad’s buck this year below. What is your best guess on chest girth (he didn’t take one)? And what would PA weight be? Then I’ll tell you actual dresses weight (the butcher weighed it)

8686c1a8a558ba8c67dd498d2c901282.jpg&key=57f36efd7c7409dc26fbdd195a67cfe203bc91931ef99e2b0be5e85eace83cd7

81a481123a32b1de4261d5809fa8d297.jpg

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I think I found a winner! My Dad’s buck this year below. What is your best guess on chest girth (he didn’t take one)? And what would PA weight be? Then I’ll tell you actual dresses weight (the butcher weighed it)

8686c1a8a558ba8c67dd498d2c901282.jpg&key=57f36efd7c7409dc26fbdd195a67cfe203bc91931ef99e2b0be5e85eace83cd7

81a481123a32b1de4261d5809fa8d297.jpg

160ib

I will go with 163 pound dressed weight and 40" chest girth (it is too late to get that now though)  for Biz's dad's buck.   I will also guess that he got about 75 pounds of meat back.  

This is shocking (but not a lie).

108lbs dressed!!!!! Butcher and my Dad were floored, but this buck was clearly worn down from the Rut. Zero fat on him left. Weighed at butcher approximately 4 hours after death.

This girth chart is false.I have even had my wife measure my chest/girth just to compare and it still does not measure correct.I have and wear a 16 in boys pants and a 10/12/16 and at 41 weigh about 160 lbs I also eat like no ones looking at me/myself

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

A few folks on here seem quite fixated on it however, even offering me a free scale a time or two. 

I'm not sure the scale offers had anything to do with anyone being fixated on anything...

I started this thread about 3 weeks ago as kind of a joke post, but there's been some interesting replies. And some funny ones. What I don't get is the whole having to calculate thing. A deer weighs what it weighs. It just seems like a weird thing to measure, read the corresponding info and adjust for being in PA or NY, etc. just to get a weight. Why not just weigh it to determine the weight if the weight is what you're looking for? That scale in the pic in the OP was something like $20 on sale at Tractor Supply. It sits on the bench next to where we hang. Takes all of a minute to pop it on the scale. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure the scale offers had anything to do with anyone being fixated on anything...
I started this thread about 3 weeks ago as kind of a joke post, but there's been some interesting replies. And some funny ones. What I don't get is the whole having to calculate thing. A deer weighs what it weighs. It just seems like a weird thing to measure, read the corresponding info and adjust for being in PA or NY, etc. just to get a weight. Why not just weigh it to determine the weight if the weight is what you're looking for? That scale in the pic in the OP was something like $20 on sale at Tractor Supply. It sits on the bench next to where we hang. Takes all of a minute to pop it on the scale. 

True That. Or just only shoot a large adult deer and have no doubts or cares.

On 12/9/2018 at 7:45 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Her head alone mighta' weighed 25lbs........

OTeOHhy.jpg

Last night after I got her home and hung in my shed I got a text from this forum member (he's a freak about dressed weights with scale vs PA tapes) requesting a tape measurement w/picture for reference as I'd already put her on the scale.   I put my footie jammies on and trudged out with tape in hand.........

I probably could have snugged it up another half inch or so but here it is:

84XDQYe.jpg

Last night after I got her home and hung in my shed I got a text from this forum member (he's a freak about dressed weights with scale vs PA tapes) requesting a tape measurement w/picture for reference as I'd already put her on the scale.   I put my footie jammies on and trudged out with tape in hand.........
I probably could have snugged it up another half inch or so but here it is:
84XDQYe.jpg&key=b5179fc7ccaf600d76bd386fdf044f533cf27cd98f1b0d585bb62ed1356f4084

Good effort but you needed to use a PA tape measure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

This is shocking (but not a lie).

108lbs dressed!!!!! Butcher and my Dad were floored, but this buck was clearly worn down from the Rut. Zero fat on him left. Weighed at butcher approximately 4 hours after death.

In the first pic with the gun, it don't look as heavy, but that second one, with the buck out front of your dad, caused me to guess higher.  I guess it is kind of like making a fish look bigger by holding it way out front and shooting from a low camera angle.   

Less fat is why I prefer processing buck's over does.  It takes me a lot of time to trim off that fat, which I don't even like in the grind.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

In the first pic with the gun, it don't look as heavy, but that second one, with the buck out front of your dad, caused me to guess higher.  I guess it is kind of like making a fish look bigger by holding it way out front and shooting from a low camera angle.   

Less fat is why I prefer processing buck's over does.  It takes me a lot of time to trim off that fat, which I don't even like in the grind.   

Yep me to second picture definitely makes it look bigger 

I would have said 120ib if not for the second picture