the unwritten rule of claiming a hit deer

aqua750

3 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

I really dont know how the 243 found its way into this discussion , think noman started that. But in all seriousness,  the op is suggesting that the larger the caliber the easier it will be to retrieve deer on marginal shots which is pure nonsense.  Shot placement is key, wether it be a 30-06 or a 45-70 or a 500. I made no mention of the 243.

Those are your words not mine .

Where did I say "marginal shots "

Edited by Storm914

3 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

No but your starting to make me feel drunk ok :)

Let me put out a scenario for you same size deer same distance 50 yards same bad gut shot .

Ones deer  shot with  30-06 

The other 243 .

Now which one you think is going to take the dirt nap first ?

Again caliber on gut shot makes no difference to me, if all varibles were the same, flip a coin. 

No but your starting to make me feel drunk ok :)

Let put out a scenario for you same size deer same distance 50 yards same bad gut shot .

Ones deer  shot with  30-06 

The other 243 .

Now which one you think is going to take the dirt nap first ?

I've tracked both. And both were equally, just gut shot deer. 

Just saying. 

• Like 2

Those are your words not mine .

Where did I say "marginal shots "

Yep marginal shot was my words, but the below were yours

"Less chance its going to go far that way and have  someone else shoot at it and have to  deal with them ."

basically your words above suggest that if i shoot a larger caliber i wont have to deal with someone else shooting my deer, which is total nonsense.  Again, shot replacement with any deer catridge will fix that problem.

1 minute ago, NYBowhunter said:

Yep marginal shot was my words, but the below were yours

"Less chance its going to go far that way and have  someone else shoot at it and have to  deal with them ."

basically your words above suggest that if i shoot a larger caliber i wont have to deal with someone else shooting my deer, which is total nonsense.  Again, shot replacement with any deer catridge will fix that problem.

And where did I say anything about it being a bad shot or a gut shot in that comment?

Are you from cnn? Lol 

Just now, Storm914 said:

So you think doctors  dont see gun shots in emergency rooms?

OMG, you just gave me a good laugh, literally.  Thanks.  Now we are onto the ER and doctors. What the hell does that have to do with tracking deer and rifle caliber size? Are you now suggesting we correlate gut shot deer with a 30-06 to a gut shot human with a 30-06. You are really digging.

Just now, NYBowhunter said:

OMG, you just gave me a good laugh, literally.  Thanks.  Now we are onto the ER and doctors. What the hell does that have to do with tracking deer and rifle caliber size? Are you now suggesting we correlate gut shot deer with a 30-06 to a gut shot human with a 30-06. You are really digging.

Tissue damage is tissue damage the more damage that bullet does the faster the animal is  going to drop dead its the reason they  have caliber restrictions in the first place . 

1 minute ago, Storm914 said:

Yes but the point is the more damage that bullet does the faster that deer is going to die or slowdown and die .

First, let me say I know I am stupid getting involved in this...<<sigh>>...

However  often a larger caliber with a heavier bullet does LESS tissue damage than a smaller , lighter constructed bullet at higher velocities... One of it's advantages is, that it is more likely to exit,  making for a better blood trail...

Often  the smaller cailbers don't exit, and if it is a bad hit that makes for a tough tracking job...I don't think a .338 Mag  hit center lung kills a deer any quicker than a .243 center lung... However a deer gut shot with  the bigger gun probably will be easier to track..  

• Like 3

This is from the hunters education course my youngest is taking.

The “Rule of First Blood”

The “rule of first blood” establishes a fair way to determine who can claim an animal that has been shot by two hunters. Although it may not have legal grounds, its strength and enforcement lie directly with understanding and true sportsmanship by all responsible hunters.

The first hunter to place a shot in an animal’s vital area, which draws enough blood to leave a trackable trail and thus has a good chance of bringing the animal to his or her possession, may claim the animal.

Conversely, if the first hunter feels that the wound was superficial in nature and recovery of the animal was not likely, that hunter should give up claim to the game if another hunter brings it to the ground.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

I'm  agreeing with you , most important thing is shot placemat

but after that having the best bullet for the job is important also .

And where did I say anything about it being a bad shot or a gut shot in that comment?

Are you from cnn? Lol 

Okay but your still suggesting that a larger caliber wiill increase your odds of a deer not running to the next hunter. Again, i call nonsense to that statement. Example, i shoot a 30-06 with a 165 grain bullet and gut shot a deer, you shoot a 45-70 with 405 grain bullet and gut shot a same size deer with all variables the same...are you saying my deer makes it to that other hunter y1 mile away more faster then your gut shot deer?  Sorry im stuffed from a great meal and bored,  but intrigued by your concept.

5 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I'm  agreeing with you , most important thing is shot placemat

but after that having the best bullet for the job is important also .

My point is in short  that the biggest, baddest caliber is not always best. I like big calibers as much as the next guy but shot placement within the hands of a competent shooter will always win out. 

2 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Okay but your still suggesting that a larger caliber wiill increase your odds of a deer not running to the next hunter. Again, i call nonsense to that statement. Example, i shoot a 30-06 with a 165 grain bullet and gut shot a deer, you shoot a 45-70 with 405 grain bullet and gut shot a same size deer with all variables the same...are you saying my deer makes it to that other hunter y1 mile away more faster then your gut shot deer?  Sorry im stuffed from a great meal and bored,  but intrigued by your concept.

Not sure it would   make difference with those 2  calibers. 

But a do think it would make a noticeable difference with something like 243  .

I think you will notice a difference when you are talking about the higher and lower ends of what people are using 

The calibers in between  probably not going to notice. 

Not sure it would   make difference with those 2  calibers. 

But a do think it would make a noticeable difference with something like 243  .

I think you will notice a difference when you are talking about the higher and lower ends of what people are using 

The calibers in between  probably not going to notice. 

So you dont think my comparable of a 165gr bullet fired from a 30-06 and a 405 grain fired from a 45-70 would  not make enough of a  difference. But you tend to agree that comparing a 243 to lets say a 30-06 is fair?

6 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

So you dont think my comparable of a 165gr bullet fired from a 30-06 and a 405 grain fired from a 45-70 would  not make enough of a  difference. But you tend to agree that comparing a 243 to lets say a 30-06 is fair?

I will say it again I think you will only notice a difference when you are talking about the higher end versus the lower end of what most people are using . 

2 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I will say it again I think you will only notice a difference when you are talking about the higher end versus the lower end of what most people are using . 

Thats not what you stated in your op,  but i see how you are now changing the tune, now that one member happened to mention  the 243. Originally your argument was that a hunter should use the largest caliber possible without flinching and now you are comparing higher and lower end of what most people use, whatever that is.

3 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Thats not what you stated in your op,  but i see how you are now changing the tune, now that one member happened to mention  the 243. Originally your argument was that a hunter should use the largest caliber possible without flinching and now you are comparing higher and lower end of what most people use, whatever that is.

Because these are all hypothetical questions 

With out running tests on live deer .

I cant say for sure except if we are talking with bullets that are very different in power and size  you will notice .

Because these are all hypothetical questions 

With out running tests on live deer .

I cant say for sure except if we are talking with bullets that are very different in power and size  you will notice .

Nope wrong again, i think Grampy alteady pointed out to you that he has been on numerous track jobs of gut shot deer that were shot with various calibers. The results were equally the same,  a gut shot deer.

17 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Nope wrong again, i think Grampy alteady pointed out to you that he has been on numerous track jobs of gut shot deer that were shot with various calibers. The results were equally the same,  a gut shot deer.

With out knowing Distance exact shot placement 

We are both just speculating. 

And even  brand of bullet in same caliber  will make a difference.

7 hours ago, tarheel95 said:

This is from the hunters education course my youngest is taking.

The “Rule of First Blood”

The “rule of first blood” establishes a fair way to determine who can claim an animal that has been shot by two hunters. Although it may not have legal grounds, its strength and enforcement lie directly with understanding and true sportsmanship by all responsible hunters.

The first hunter to place a shot in an animal’s vital area, which draws enough blood to leave a trackable trail and thus has a good chance of bringing the animal to his or her possession, may claim the animal.

Conversely, if the first hunter feels that the wound was superficial in nature and recovery of the animal was not likely, that hunter should give up claim to the game if another hunter brings it to the ground.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

This seems to be a reasonable way to handle a situation with a second shooter.  I know what my friends and I do but even with a stranger and a booner, if he/she is tracking a deer where bullet/arrow entered such that the Deer would likely/possibly die without my second shot, I would happily finish it off and let them tag it.  If the hole was in the ear (as an extreme example) then that stranger has no right to claim the Deer.   

Here is a harder scenario in my opinion, you hear your friend shoot and he texts you saying he just shot a real nice buck and it’s running your way.  A nice buck comes trotting by minutes later.  You have no buck tag.   Can/should you shoot it?   What do you need to confirm before shooting if your answer is yes?  This runs the ethical vs legal line.   

• Like 1

No im not saying that at all, your suggesting that a larger caliber will make me a better shot. Is that not what you wrote? Now your talking about shooting a bear with a 9mm, where do you get this crap . 

I’m not defending him because he is wrong. But work on your reading comprehension and understand of sarcasm before you make posts like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1