the unwritten rule of claiming a hit deer

aqua750

7 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Maybe. I've always shot light for cartridge bullets. (Big believer in hydrostatic shock) 125s in my 308 and 150 in my 300.

Definitely nothing to brag about but I've shot probably 1/2 dozen over the years 100% in the guts.  All dropped within sight, the longest run being 50yds . ..They more fell down than bedded down and did require a killing shot when I walked up on them... Now If for some reason they did run further it would have been a very difficult track..

If I'm just that lucky, I'll take it lol.... totally different story with a heavier constructed bullet though.

Guess you have been one of the very lucky ones..lol..i have tracked a few gut shot deer for family members, we let one go overnight  and it went very far and was shot with a marlin 35. The other was shot with a 30-06 and was retrieved a few hundred yards away and only found it because we knew the genrral direction she went, very little blood. My point is i rather rely on my accuracy / marksmanship with a 30-30 then to tote the largest caliber i can handle.

• Like 2

I always tell everyone i hunt with. Lungs , heart, or liver. You don't hit one of those and i shoot it in the vitals i dont want to hear your sniveling.  Shot a doe one time and it had been shot in the foot. A guy came up after i got done gutting it and ssid he hit it first. I pointed out it was in the foot  and he was now  on private property  and in the most subtle way i could told him to piss off.  Lungs, heart, or liver and learn how to shoot.

• Like 2

So I’ve said this before in this thread and I’ll say it again. Shot placement is key. People should take responsible shots at the vital and should always go for the clean ethical kill. If a good shot is made caliber will not matter. From 243 to 50bmg a good shot to the vitals will drop a deer quickly. That being said a larger caliber will bring a deer down quicker on a marginal shot. People should shoot what ever they are most accurate with. My wife when she does hunt prefers her 243, me I like my 30/30 35rem and 308. I could hunt with the 243 but prefer the other guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Apples to oranges comparison, the reason I told you to avoid those for big woods hunting is because of shot selection, big woods you take what you can get, have no fear of them getting off the property/by someone else. I want 2 holes and blood to track if I shoot them I’m the ass chest or back legs.

If I’m hunting at home in a tree stand I’m usually using a 357 maximum or a 10mm pistol Because I can be very selective on shots taken.

Nice 

I have around a  dozen guns to choose from so when you heard me saying I'm using this over that it's just to changed it up  the places I hunt you can't see past 50 yards   there all accurate  at those distances  .

And I don't care how accurate someone thinks they are ,  it's still a good idea to find which bullet will cause the most damage in any caliber you are using . 

Nice 
I have around a  dozen guns to choose from so when you heard me saying I'm using this over that it's just to changed it up  the places I hunt you can't see past 50 yards   there all accurate  at those distances  .
And I don't care how accurate someone thinks they are ,  it's still a good idea to find which bullet will cause the most damage in any caliber you are using . 

Clearly you don’t care about accuracy considering you shot all 6 of your deer in the guts according to an earlier post. Pick a gun or multiple guns and then PRACTICE!
I don’t gun hunt much cause I don’t practice much. I do however shoot my bow enough to feel great confidence. I don’t give a crap that I am not shooting Rage broadheads or spitfires or shwakers or any of those other massive cutting heads... I shoot Nap thunderheads cause they are cheap and I can replace the blades cheaply. I make a good shot(which I should cause I practice) dead deer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Clearly you don’t care about accuracy considering you shot all 6 of your deer in the guts according to an earlier post. Pick a gun or multiple guns and then PRACTICE!
I don’t gun hunt much cause I don’t practice much. I do however shoot my bow enough to feel great confidence. I don’t give a crap that I am not shooting Rage broadheads or spitfires or shwakers or any of those other massive cutting heads... I shoot Nap thunderheads cause they are cheap and I can replace the blades cheaply. I make a good shot(which I should cause I practice) dead deer.

Someone else wrote that 

He, probably pulled that from my post..And if crappie has killed close to a hundred deer and only poorly hit 6 he needs an award.

Dude- my name starts with crappy- I haven’t seen 100 deer in the woods. But I only shot 1 (my first ever!) in the guts with 1 lung along the way(bad angle but I was stupider then!)

Accuracy and shot placement are more important than caliber.  The idea that using a larger caliber to compensate for bad shooting or shot placement is not good advice, I think that is what Buckmaster7600 is trying to say.  I agree 100 percent!

The gun you are most accurate with offhand is the one you should use!  You should also make sure that first shot counts!  VIP!  Most top hunters do not miss a good opportunity and take ethical unrushed shots.  This is why they are good hunters, not the caliber they use!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

Dude- my name starts with crappy- I haven’t seen 100 deer in the woods. But I only shot 1 (my first ever!) in the guts with 1 lung along the way(bad angle but I was stupider then!)

Lol..sorry, Crappy... I was thinking it was just a fishing moniker....

Btw. Adk's post is spot on. That is why i hunt with a single shot.

I always thought the law was it belonged to whomever shot it last.  

Heck, just let me get a picture of it and you can have it.  I get my trophy photo, know I killed it...  no gutting, no dragging or no butchering and I get to keep hunting? Sign me up!  :D

• Haha 1