What do you consider a "Fatal Shot" ?

fasteddie

If i shoot a deer and i lose sight of it and then another hunter shoots it ,it's their deer. I should have done a better job when it was my time.

See I disagree with this I shot a buck opening day, he crested the hill not long after I shot him. He died in sight of@jmp5008 but only went maybe 60 yards or so, dumping blood the whole way. If jmp got a shot of before the deer fell should that have been his deer ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

See I disagree with this I shot a buck opening day, he crested the hill not long after I shot him. He died in sight of@jmp5008 but only went maybe 60 yards or so, dumping blood the whole way. If jmp got a shot of before the deer fell should that have been his deer ?

I see your point , unfortunately, deer bring out the worst in people sometimes.   

6 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Nah he’s my boy if anything we would have fought over who wanted the other to take it.

I remember you guys saying you hunt together , I just meant in general about people doing some awful things in the name of shooting a deer. My buddy shot a nice one this year and even the guy doing the mount is getting phone calls of people trying to get the deer because they claim he was trespassing or hunting at night ,they even contacted the DEC. 

I remember you guys saying you hunt together , I just meant in general about people doing some awful things in the name of shooting a deer. My buddy shot a nice one this year and even the guy doing the mount is getting phone calls of people trying to get the deer because they claim he was trespassing or hunting at night ,they even contacted the DEC. 

Yea we do, that’s insane. I hope dec doesn’t take it seriously

2 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

If he shot and dropped it yes it would be his deer unless you have an agreement in your own camp.. you knew him. Makes a big difference and size of buck always seems to. Matter

• Like 1

If i shoot a deer and i lose sight of it and then another hunter shoots it ,it's their deer. I should have done a better job when it was my time.

How far we talking? If I double lung him and he goes over a rise and a guy 200 yards away puts him down I’d like to think he knows that’s my deer. I know if I were the other guy I’d do the right thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

This is getting too complicated.  Whether you condone it or not.  Whether you accept it or not.  Fatal shot is simple = Deer expires because of tne shot,  doesn't matter leg, gut, neck, heart, etc.  You go back to camp after tracking a gut shot deer for 24 hours, someone asks is it fatal? Your answer should be yes, that's a dead deer.  Unfortunate and painful for sure, but it's still Fatal 100% of the time...

• Like 2

is it fatal if the coyotes get it before the fatal shot does it in????  Leg shot?? Are we talking ankle or knee. Cause you know a deer with a bum knee cant out run a coyote

On 11/22/2018 at 5:16 PM, Taylormike said:

This is getting too complicated.  Whether you condone it or not.  Whether you accept it or not.  Fatal shot is simple = Deer expires because of tne shot,  doesn't matter leg, gut, neck, heart, etc.  You go back to camp after tracking a gut shot deer for 24 hours, someone asks is it fatal? Your answer should be yes, that's a dead deer.  Unfortunate and painful for sure, but it's still Fatal 100% of the time...

I think some of you are getting confused by what ultimately may end up killing the deer and what is immediately fatal (immediate being a short time frame and short distance). If your deer makes it far enough to run past another Hunter or is alive long enough for another Hunter to finish the job then you didn't do your part and it was not an immediately fatal shot or you are hunting too close to another hunter. Gut shots are not what I consider a "killing" shot even though chances are extremely high the deer will eventually succumb to the wound. If you didn't strike the CNS, hit a combination of lung/liver/heart, then no I don't count that as an immediately fatal hit. So some of you guys are telling me that if you shot a great big buck and found out your neighbor wounded it in the guts the day before that you would March that deer and hand it to your neighbor?? I can tell you that I would not. Simply putting a hole in a deer does not entitle you to that deer when someone else kills it. You should've made a better shot, period. Same goes with me in reverse, if the same happened and I hit the deer badly I would never expect someone to think it's my deer when they in fact killed it. There are very few exceptions to this in my opinion, a mercy killing on a deer that's unable to get up etc...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So a big buck comes up to you, someone blew his back leg off, a few days prior, you kill him. Is that the other hunters deer if he happens to see you dragging the deer out?? Are you going to give it up? By your definition the first shot was likely eventually fatal...?

On 11/24/2018 at 8:00 AM, chrisw said:

So a big buck comes up to you, someone blew his back leg off, a few days prior, you kill him. Is that the other hunters deer if he happens to see you dragging the deer out?? Are you going to give it up? By your definition the first shot was likely eventually fatal...?

I don't know how to respond to this...first shot was not fatal.  Eventually, meaning a month or two?  Plus, more likely he'll die from an infection.  

If there’s a hole in the circled area from a shot other than mine and the shooter comes before I tag it its his deer. In my opinion with a gun if there’s a hole in that area it’s fatal an arrow there may be a little more grey area but I’ll stick to the same guideline. I don’t care how big it is or isn’t it’s their deer.

315f2e3d96d7bde787f91285ede5c2f4.jpg

• Like 1

Lot of "what ifs" floating around trying to make a grey area issue more B&W... I don't care how big a buck is, if it appears to have been shot & looks like it's struggling to survive.. I'm shooting it and waiting for the other (1st shot) hunter to come along and claim it. JMO, I'd rather put a deer out of its misery and shorten any retrieval by the hunter who encountered it first. AND.. I'd expect the same in return. There's NO deer worth starting a fight over when both individuals have weapons! Not to mention initialing bad blood between any adjacent property hunters &/or neighbors! TOO ethical or logical an opinion?

ive shot two deer that were injured.  Both gut shot.  I waited , gutted it out, waited some more and no one ever showed up.  Whether i wanted them or not, tagged them and took them away.  Also have found a 4 point and a 7 point someone shot and didnt recover.  (didnt do anything with them, one was half eaten and the other had no idea how long it was there).   A deer goes by thats wounded i am putting it down and IF someone shows up to claim it will settle it then.  Most likely they will get the deer.  If its a buddy they def get the deer.  If i shoot a deer that has an injured foot or a graze or something the other is out of luck though.  Cause i will tag it when i drop it and therefore its mine.