Local giant found dead...

WNY Bowhunter

4 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

A friend of my cousin found this absolute monster laying dead in his backyard yesterday afternoon. This deer was a local legend in the Bath area and several locals were after him. The DEC was called and came to investigate, no signs of a bullet wound were found so they issued a salvage tag. He was rough scored at 200 - 204, just a truely impressive NY buck!

1809889610_2018-11-2307_35_15.png.c10c7bb4ab59d62b5e38a5a595cdd13f.png

received_197660171168770.thumb.jpeg.f022126a5c4e1e94decd436f3a76d03c.jpeg

46510422_1907311719564045_5903988553343303680_n.thumb.jpg.82c3a715ac4a7b6ecdcdf3c667c95cd2.jpg

46764805_2191411294204602_2320437222186156032_n.jpg.b373e4d82a3c258c2c60734b5f72491f.jpg

Lord Have Mercy! 

Looks like mutant monster buck wins in the end, he must have died of old age. Not many guys with headgear like that get to pass in bovine hospice. Good for him he earned it!

Edited by CapDistPatriot

On 11/23/2018 at 8:57 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I remember an Alsheimer video about how the rut can actually wear out a buck and kill it, I wonder if that’s what happened here? The wounded leg wouldn’t help. What a monster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

good theory, but I've also heard that monsters like him rarely have to do any chasing or seeking. they just show up and mount. 

I'd think it'd be worth the time to skin him just to see what's underneath. 

Probably 10 years ago I watched (with only antlerless tags in my pocket) a giant of epic portions in the rut. I had three or four other bucks around me and one hot doe.  The younger (an assumption of course) bucks just about crapped their drawers when the King showed up.  He didn’t even partake in too much chasing, he just kind of cruised through......an unforgettable snowy November 13 day I’ll always remember. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

good theory, but I've also heard that monsters like him rarely have to do any chasing or seeking. they just show up and mount. 

I'd think it'd be worth the time to skin him just to see what's underneath. 

I have never heard that. Ive actually heard the opposite as well as that many deer that get to that age/size are actually more timid than most. Thats how they get old, by not putting themselves into a position to get beat up and worn out.

• Like 2

Just now, WNYBuckHunter said:

I have never heard that. Ive actually heard the opposite as well as that many deer that get to that age/size are actually more timid than most. Thats how they get old, by not putting themselves into a position to get beat up and worn out.

i've read a few articles (and of course this is subject to the herds dynamics) that say a big buck can more easily push out and intimidate his competition. So the 2.5's are doing most of the fighting and seeking for the harder to find, less defended doe. 

Also some pretty good research on why deer even grow antlers at all. Many think it's based on defense, when in actuality it's more about attraction. Bigger rack shows the doe he's worth exchanging dna with for her offspring. Kinda like the sports car and nice house haha.

idk, both those idea have always made sense to me when reading about them in mags, books, podcasts. 

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

i've read a few articles (and of course this is subject to the herds dynamics) that say a big buck can more easily push out and intimidate his competition. So the 2.5's are doing most of the fighting and seeking for the harder to find, less defended doe. 

Also some pretty good research on why deer even grow antlers at all. Many think it's based on defense, when in actuality it's more about attraction. Bigger rack shows the doe he's worth exchanging dna with for her offspring. Kinda like the sports car and nice house haha.

idk, both those idea have always made sense to me when reading about them in mags, books, podcasts. 

there's a huge difference between a buck that's 5.5+ years old like the one originally posted and a 2.5 yr old.  doe are submissive to whatever is around. they have to be. which is why they might be bred by more than one buck. like you could have twins with different dads. i'm with john in that a buck with a scrub rack might be more full of piss and fight to drive off other bucks off than one with a large rack. large racks are less common and reclusive because otherwise it wouldn't be alive. scrub racks have had a life that affords them to run around without a care in front of more hunters trying to fight and breed everything it can. even more so if it got the genetic card of a massive body with a scrub rack. if a buck has a scrub rack because it's just a runt, that's different. that's my take and experience.

• Like 2

it takes a lot of things to get a buck to 5.5+ yrs old out here. an extremely limited number of spots for different reasons it's much more likely. it's hard to imagine what things would be like if people didn't shoot anything for a handful of years. you could see what can grow what without us picking off the cream of the crop for antlers. it'd be all over the place with scrub and above average bucks but it'd probably still be insane.  couldn't imagine what it'd be like if it were common place to see two fully mature 6.5 yr old bucks fighting.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I think that's especially true in highly pressured states like NY where deer have a PhD in hunter avoidance by the time they are 3. It's a different story if you go to the mid-west or some mid-south states like Texas or Oklahoma where bucks are allowed to mature and hunting pressure is less intense. There you can see mature bucks  become more daylight active with age and they'll get smarter when it comes to the rut so they will often wait until they hear the tell tale signs of breeding such as a buck fight or tending grunts and then will sweep in and take the doe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Belo said:

Don't always believe everything written in books, LOL.